Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: 6.5 GT Radio Issues .... anybody experience any ?  (Read 23874 times)

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
Re: 6.5 GT Radio Issues .... anybody experience any ?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »

Sorry that this has turned into a brake thread but I have to jump in here. The Linked brakes is my only worry on the new bikes. There are times when I do not want to use my front brake. What if your in a sand dusted turn and you brake? Will it link your front brake, wash out the front tire and down you go? this thought may keep me from a 2014.

KenK

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »

Sorry that this has turned into a brake thread but I have to jump in here. The Linked brakes is my only worry on the new bikes. There are times when I do not want to use my front brake. What if your in a sand dusted turn and you brake? Will it link your front brake, wash out the front tire and down you go? this thought may keep me from a 2014.

Please correct me if I am wrong...but in theory..when you apply the brake in a linked system the ABS feature should kick in and not let the front tire to wash out or lock up

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 04:01:46 PM »

If the ABS system is functioning properly, that should never happen...at least not because the tire locked up.  Now TRACTION is a different ballgame, regardless...if you're in a turn too hot and hit sand/gravel, you're going to have a handful.

I would also assume, though I have not seen the stats on the HD ABS linked system, that there is a proportioning valve to apply the "right" amount of force to both wheels, regardless of conditions.

While there is no doubt that there might be a VERY small percentage of the riding population who can honestly react the same way in a deliberate full on braking situation vs an actual full blown panic stop, their numbers are extremely small.  By definition, a panic stop is one where your reflexes take over and you can't really practice that, unless you're in a simulator with random situations thrown at you.  It's just like training for a gunfight...you can practice shooting 'till the cows come home, and even go so far as to go through courses where simulated "bad guys" pop up for you to shoot at.  But in a REAL gunfight, it's a different ballgame and virtually impossible to predict how your mind/body will respond.  Training will help you respond better, but you just don't know until you get there.

What I want to see are some stats on stopping distances with a linked system utilizing only one brake pedal/lever vs both.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »

This thread has been hijacked. Now if I want to read about any issues with the new radio, I have to read through all about ABS. Start a new thread, please, if you want to talk and express your opinion on ABS/linked braking!

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »

Back on subject....

I'm riding tonight listening to my iphone tunes and the phone rings.  I see on the screen incoming call from Dad.  I hit accept, my music stops, and the call drops, and goes to voice mail.  I answered on the 2nd ring.  After that my iphone would not play music anymore.  I had to stop turn the bike on and off a few times and finally it worked.  Again, I love the bike, but the radio sucks big ones.

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 09:33:05 PM »

WELL SAID !!!!!

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 10:33:39 PM »

I know we are taking radio issues and abs............Bmw has abs and a switch to turn it off on the GS version.....when off road
Abs needs to be shut off.....Abs on touring bikes "if not prepared to stop will function better" ....If your prepared to stop all brakes are good......So .....Abs is fantastic if the rider is asleep at the wheel and goes into a panic mode.....
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 09:24:54 AM »

Back on subject....

I'm riding tonight listening to my iphone tunes and the phone rings.  I see on the screen incoming call from Dad.  I hit accept, my music stops, and the call drops, and goes to voice mail.  I answered on the 2nd ring.  After that my iphone would not play music anymore.  I had to stop turn the bike on and off a few times and finally it worked.  Again, I love the bike, but the radio sucks big ones.
Must be something with the Blue one's...Sunday my screen froze and nothin' worked, at the first stop cycled acc and it came back...THEN used the CB and the stuck open, at least the buttons still worked, turned CB to off and it closed.  I've did the 1.7.1 upgrade.  She's ready for the 1K service, It'll get worked out.   I LOVE both the link and ABS systems,,,and I can ride and quick stop!  :coolblue:
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 09:59:27 AM »

This thread has been hijacked. Now if I want to read about any issues with the new radio, I have to read through all about ABS. Start a new thread, please, if you want to talk and express your opinion on ABS/linked braking!

:jack:

Thank you.  I was like WTF? What does somebody's rant about ABS have to do with radios?  Besides they are wrong.  ABS is better.  Stating otherwise is just trying to show how big one's d@#$ is.     http://projectrushmore.harley-davidson.com/en_US  has a Project Rushmore video.  Check out the section on control.  They show a test which demonstrates that on average ABS is better.  Yeah, yeah - that's just HD marketing hype....  But check almost anywhere on the I-net and you will see that ABS is better on average.  Besides, you know they can't put anything on the Net that isn't true.   :P

my 2 c.

My radio goes back to center on the fade at startup.  Simply going to the fade screen kicks the sound in correctly, but the screen does not update unless I "click" on the fader display.  Minor annoyance.   I also had a "no sound" episode a couple of weeks back.  Powered off the radio and everything came back OK.

Also got my RF speaker replaced.  Wow what a difference.  Seems obvious that the sound would be better, but I wasn't sure what to expect.  50% volume at 75 mph and the tunes come through just fine.  Happy, happy.

Lastly, for general reference, the clearly marked MUTE button is also the power button.  Push and hold for 2 secs.  Discovered that by accident - maybe I should read the manual more carefully.  That's right - I didn't get one!  :'(

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

tkmcneely

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »

I have the same issue with my radio. Tried the flash for the fader and it didn't take. HD tested a new cvo limited that arrived a few days ago and it had the same problem. I was advised that it appears to be a software problem and they are now investigating a fix.

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »

For $hits and giggles, I contacted H-D Customer Service and commended them on a great 2014 CVO Limited (didn't want to piss them off right out of the gate).  I then told them about the 6.5 GT Radio issues  .....  front speakers not working until fader is adjusted and the popping and crackling during FM reception.   I was surprised, they were very receptive and actually told me that they were aware of the problems and that engineers were working on a software update to correct the fader issue.  They did say they did have some complaints about the popping and cracking but, did no say they were working on a fix.     Folks that have the Fader issue and/or popping, cracking during FM reception .....  it may help if all of us call H-D Customer Service and let them know.    1-800-258-2464 or 414-343-4056

Is it me or is the FM Reception on these 6.5 GT Radio's weak ???

-Tim

2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

FM on mine is fine.......different stations different out put..etc.etc.etc
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »

My FM works like most vehicles, poorly, but no different.  I do get the popping and cracking.  What is terrible on my CVO is the XM radio reception.  It cuts off and I loose reception constantly.  I will not be subscribing to XM for this reason.

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

KE8LW

• 2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »

Well after looking through the normal debate of braking - I wanted to make it known that I had the update done to my radio by the dealer.  I thought it had worked just fine until this weekend.  The same problem is back the front speakers don't come on without me going into set up and moving the fader button.  Not every time but enough to annoy myself.  So I am back to the drawing board with Harley hoping there is yet another update that will actually fix it.   :jack: :soapbox:
2014 FLHTKSE - 110" 96HP / 112 TQ
2008 FLHTCU - 121 HP / 127 TQ 120R
1999 FLHTCUI - 88" slight cam
2004 FXDLI - 88" Bone Stock :(

tpcrawford

• Tim
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »

Not sure if this means anything or not (in reference to the front speakers not working) however,  I have noticed that if you turn the bike on via the ACCESSORY switch, the front speakers work every time.  It's only when the bike is turned on via the IGNITION button that the problem occurs.

Any status updates on this ?  Has anyone been back to the dealership ?   I'll be going to the dealership soon for my 1K service.   Just curious as to what others are being told. 

-Tim

2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
2010 FLHTK Ultra Limited, Flame Blue, Vivid Black  --  SOLD
2007 VRSCAW VROD, Black Cherry Pearl  -- SOLD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.