Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: is it worth it or not, that is the question  (Read 18455 times)

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
Re: is it worth it or not, that is the question
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

Here's what's going to happen. You're going to buy the Limited then spend a bunch of time and money trying to dress it up like the CVO. Just get the CVO  :nixweiss:

Agreed - done that myself on an older Harley, before my 2009 CVO.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »

On top of everthing else mentioned the CVO also gets you felt lined bags and tourpack, CVO monogramed outdoor cover, USB stick with a skull on it, etc....

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

AMEDD_SFC

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO Limited
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - The Big Red One
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »

On top of everthing else mentioned the CVO also gets you felt lined bags and tourpack, CVO monogramed outdoor cover, USB stick with a skull on it, etc....

... and the ability to say "I have a CVO".     ;)

Mark

Mark B.
SFC, USA (RET)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »

I agree with what is being said. I owned a 2007 CVO Ultra and now a 2014 Limited. the Limited fit my budget and the CVO did not. I am going to add Approx.. $2,000 in extras to my Limited and will be more than happy. You should never, ever try to duplicate the CVO starting with a Limited, it would be insane.

When I traded in my 2007 CVO I received much more in trade-in than I would have received from a regular 2007 Ultra. Made it easy to buy the new 2014 Limited.

IMHO, the most important thing is the finances; if I had a payment, especially a large one, the bike would get old quick. If you pay cash for what you feel comfortable buying, you will enjoy the bike much more and for a longer period of time.

Scott

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »

Which ever you choose, the bike is just the price of admission...

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »

I agree with what is being said. I owned a 2007 CVO Ultra and now a 2014 Limited. the Limited fit my budget and the CVO did not. I am going to add Approx.. $2,000 in extras to my Limited and will be more than happy. You should never, ever try to duplicate the CVO starting with a Limited, it would be insane.

When I traded in my 2007 CVO I received much more in trade-in than I would have received from a regular 2007 Ultra. Made it easy to buy the new 2014 Limited.

IMHO, the most important thing is the finances; if I had a payment, especially a large one, the bike would get old quick. If you pay cash for what you feel comfortable buying, you will enjoy the bike much more and for a longer period of time.

Scott
Different strokes for different folks. I have a payment and the bike NEVER gets old. If I ever felt like that it would be time to get out of the business. Did you pay cash for your house too? If so, is it getting old living there? Guess I don't get the logic. Either way, rubber side down and enjoy your ride!  :nixweiss:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »

Different strokes for different folks. I have a payment and the bike NEVER gets old. If I ever felt like that it would be time to get out of the business. Did you pay cash for your house too? If so, is it getting old living there? Guess I don't get the logic. Either way, rubber side down and enjoy your ride!  :nixweiss:

It's all cool, I just have aversion to debt. Some people are comfortable with it, some are not. Just something to think about when making a major purchase, that's all. 

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 07:13:18 PM »

I do agree...for toys I pay cash, that way I can always sell it if I need cash for an emergency...but again, that is just me
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:18 PM »

Which ever you choose, the bike is just the price of admission...

For the first time in my HD buying life I can say that the 2014 comes ready to tour. All the changes you make are because you want them, not because it's the only way to get the bike running proper or the only way to put good brakes etc. The 14 CVO or Limited comes with great brakes, handling and what I feel is acceptable power. The nice chrome stuff is up to you.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »

For me, it depends on the model year. I've gone back and forth with cvo and non cvo bikes I've purchased. Its got to be a bike that I really like for me to shell the extra $ for a cvo. The "its cheaper than upgrading to the same specs" doesn't make sense since I would never upgrade to the same specs anyway. I fell in love with the atomic orange cvo rg, however I still think that the limited ultra is the best bang for the buck of any of the touring bikes.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 09:19:35 AM »

I think everyone agrees; you don't buy a Ultra Limited and try to make it into a CVO; with that said here is what I looked at, New 2014 CVO Ultra $38,999, Average California sales tax 8% for a total of $42,118.92 plus License. You would probably only add upgraded Mufflers and air cleaner. I am not including that cost because you would do the same with the Ultra Limited.

If you buy the Ultra Limited in Black the price is $25,899, with 8% tax you are at 27,970.92, if you go with the top custom paint option Ultra Limited the price is $27,364 plus 8% sales tax or 29,553.12. I am very happy with the factory paint on the Limited (Yes I prefer the CVO) and only wish to add the slipstream rider and passenger floor boards using the swept wing option; just like those on the CVO. I would add the XM Module option, garage door opener, upgraded round custom gear shift linkage and short angle adjustable highway pegs. Total retail for all the parts is $1,499.35. I plan on buying this winter during my dealers 20% off sale for a total price of $1,199.48. That will result in a total price of $29,170.40 for the black Limited and $30,752.60 for the custom paint optioned Ultra Limited.

These would be bikes that look great and have all the features I would consider "required". Most of the extras included with the CVO are cosmetic. You have a little more power with the 110" motor but the 103" sure does the job. The difference is approx.. $12,948.52 between the black Nicely equipped Ultra Limited and a CVO and $11,366.32 for the Custom paint option Ultra Limited.

The difference would of course drop close to another $1,000 if you have the accessories installed by the dealer. I did not include the cost of California's Lic. Fee. It would be substantially higher for the CVO, year after year. I did not include the price of mufflers or air cleaner because they are needed on both bikes.

Without question; if the difference is not a issue, go with the CVO. If a person is more like myself, I was more comfortable with the Ultra Limited and found the bikes appearance and performance more than acceptable. Nothing like looking at the facts. Again; If you want the Chrome front end, polished front disc brakes, chrome handlebar controls, color matched inner fairing, etc., etc., etc. for heavens sake go with the CVO.

Hope this helps
Scott

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

The dealer probably said that because he had a Limited on the floor and wanted to make the
sale now instead of waiting on a CVO. Also he probably already has all the CVO bikes pre-sold
and holding deposits on them. He just wanted to make a quick sale.

If you can afford it buy the CVO!

ultrarider123

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »

The dealer probably said that because he had a Limited on the floor and wanted to make the
sale now instead of waiting on a CVO. Also he probably already has all the CVO bikes pre-sold
and holding deposits on them. He just wanted to make a quick sale.

If you can afford it buy the CVO!

Same said dealer would say "Man, you should'a waited for the CVO" when one does come in/available.  Next words would be "you ready to trade?"

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »

I think everyone agrees; you don't buy a Ultra Limited and try to make it into a CVO; with that said here is what I looked at, New 2014 CVO Ultra $38,999, Average California sales tax 8% for a total of $42,118.92 plus License. You would probably only add upgraded Mufflers and air cleaner. I am not including that cost because you would do the same with the Ultra Limited.

If you buy the Ultra Limited in Black the price is $25,899, with 8% tax you are at 27,970.92, if you go with the top custom paint option Ultra Limited the price is $27,364 plus 8% sales tax or 29,553.12. I am very happy with the factory paint on the Limited (Yes I prefer the CVO) and only wish to add the slipstream rider and passenger floor boards using the swept wing option; just like those on the CVO. I would add the XM Module option, garage door opener, upgraded round custom gear shift linkage and short angle adjustable highway pegs. Total retail for all the parts is $1,499.35. I plan on buying this winter during my dealers 20% off sale for a total price of $1,199.48. That will result in a total price of $29,170.40 for the black Limited and $30,752.60 for the custom paint optioned Ultra Limited.

These would be bikes that look great and have all the features I would consider "required". Most of the extras included with the CVO are cosmetic. You have a little more power with the 110" motor but the 103" sure does the job. The difference is approx.. $12,948.52 between the black Nicely equipped Ultra Limited and a CVO and $11,366.32 for the Custom paint option Ultra Limited.

The difference would of course drop close to another $1,000 if you have the accessories installed by the dealer. I did not include the cost of California's Lic. Fee. It would be substantially higher for the CVO, year after year. I did not include the price of mufflers or air cleaner because they are needed on both bikes.

Without question; if the difference is not a issue, go with the CVO. If a person is more like myself, I was more comfortable with the Ultra Limited and found the bikes appearance and performance more than acceptable. Nothing like looking at the facts. Again; If you want the Chrome front end, polished front disc brakes, chrome handlebar controls, color matched inner fairing, etc., etc., etc. for heavens sake go with the CVO.

Hope this helps
Scott

Part two of this price comparison: While I have no way of knowing what todays bikes will sell for down the road, I compared a 2009 Ultra Classic to a 2009 CVO Ultra on KBB. Base trade-in values, just a apples to apples comparison.

2009 Ultra Classic Base trade-in value: $12,875, original MSRP was $20,999. Depreciation cost $8,124. If you spent $1,500 on upgrades the Depreciation cost would rise to $9,624 or $2,406 per year for four years.
2009 Ultra Classic CVO Base trade-in value: $19,550, original MSRP was $35,499, Depreciation cost $15,949 or $3,987.25 per year for four years.

These numbers are nothing more than a guide. Market prices paid in relation to book values are sometimes higher for low volume bikes like the CVO. The numbers will absolutely vary from this projection, I just think it helps to have all the facts, to some riders the $1581 estimated yearly additional depreciation is well worth owning the CVO, to others it's not. I prefer something to go on VS. the CVO brings more at trade-in time so it's really not costing you that much more to own. Everything is relative to each persons situation.

Scott

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »

Oh, Hell … I can see the nostrils flaring now   :sauer005:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.