Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: is it worth it or not, that is the question  (Read 18460 times)

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
Re: is it worth it or not, that is the question
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »

For the first time in my HD buying life I can say that the 2014 comes ready to tour. All the changes you make are because you want them, not because it's the only way to get the bike running proper or the only way to put good brakes etc. The 14 CVO or Limited comes with great brakes, handling and what I feel is acceptable power. The nice chrome stuff is up to you.

I'm sure you're right about the '14.  Thought the same thing when I bought the '13 SEUG, but ended up making a few performance and functional enhancements out of personal preference   ;D

You can't go wrong with either choice from a riding perspective.  For me, I could never go back to stock or even limited, having had all the goodies right from the start, especially paint and chrome!  These are highly important features of the CVO - if someone doesn't value those features, then it's my opinion that the CVO isn't right for them regardless of the 110 (the 103 is absolutely more than enough power for the bike).  A $12k premium for a $6k engine simply doesn't make sense.

Also CVOs hold their resale value substantially better than the rest of the line up, which I found to be true with my CVORK earlier this year.  This point alone pushes me over the wall 'cause unlike with my wife, I can upgrade the bike any old time!!

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »

I'm sure you're right about the '14.  Thought the same thing when I bought the '13 SEUG, but ended up making a few performance and functional enhancements out of personal preference   ;D

You can't go wrong with either choice from a riding perspective.  For me, I could never go back to stock or even limited, having had all the goodies right from the start, especially paint and chrome!  These are highly important features of the CVO - if someone doesn't value those features, then it's my opinion that the CVO isn't right for them regardless of the 110 (the 103 is absolutely more than enough power for the bike).  A $12k premium for a $6k engine simply doesn't make sense.

Also CVOs hold their resale value substantially better than the rest of the line up, which I found to be true with my CVORK earlier this year.  This point alone pushes me over the wall 'cause unlike with my wife, I can upgrade the bike any old time!!

My only disagreement would be the "resale value substantially better than the rest of the line up". The book value guide shows and I have personally experienced a higher overall ownership cost with a CVO. Not saying that you did not have a exceptional experience, just not the average. I am not saying that the CVO is not worth the cost, that is subjective. 

The value anyone should place on a bike is the enjoyment factor; nothing else. I learned a long time ago that you can't make logical sense out of a motorcycle. Especially motorcycles that cost what a nice touring HD cost. People should buy what fits the budget and what delivers the sheer pleasure a great bike can deliver. 

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

It's all good!  Good luck with whatever path you choose, and enjoy the heck out of it.

Best,
Brian

limited1432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »

Enjoy.........Buy what you can afford......I have the 2014 Ultra limited 103 had a 2011 before that ....I put a ton of miles on and will be getting a 2016......Just Ride.......Have fun ....We are only Passing Through......Do it NOW
Support Our Troops
Thank a Soldier

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »

Enjoy.........Buy what you can afford......I have the 2014 Ultra limited 103 had a 2011 before that ....I put a ton of miles on and will be getting a 2016......Just Ride.......Have fun ....We are only Passing Through......Do it NOW

Well said and so true, especially for guys like myself...past the big six O....My brain writes checks my body cant cash.

anzac

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

you have sold me, its CVO it is

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 08:01:16 PM »

the only trouble with all this math is - IMHO - trying to apply logic to an emotional decision. Did I NEED a CVO? The answer should be obvious, no I didn't. My '06 non-CVO ultra was paid for and worked just fine  I added all kinds of goodies from upgraded audio to heated seat plus some extra chrome.. Except maybe for the chassis improvements made in '09, I was perfectly happy riding the Dragon Fly dream all over the place, even after a test ride and a few rentals on the newer chassis with the 96 inch engine...THEN....

When I saw the '11.5 announced that was it - I WANTED that CVO and no other would suffice! Now don't get me wrong it was a lot of coin to purchase the bike, but if your accountant wife says it's not only alright with her - it's fully encouraged  - you have no choice, gotta make momma happy right  ;)

Of course the fact that I had the cash to make the deal helped the cause. I too have an aversion to debt.

Bottom line, get the bike you want - with the stipulation that it fits in the household budget.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »

the only trouble with all this math is - IMHO - trying to apply logic to an emotional decision. Did I NEED a CVO? The answer should be obvious, no I didn't. My '06 non-CVO ultra was paid for and worked just fine  I added all kinds of goodies from upgraded audio to heated seat plus some extra chrome.. Except maybe for the chassis improvements made in '09, I was perfectly happy riding the Dragon Fly dream all over the place, even after a test ride and a few rentals on the newer chassis with the 96 inch engine...THEN....

When I saw the '11.5 announced that was it - I WANTED that CVO and no other would suffice! Now don't get me wrong it was a lot of coin to purchase the bike, but if your accountant wife says it's not only alright with her - it's fully encouraged  - you have no choice, gotta make momma happy right  ;)

Of course the fact that I had the cash to make the deal helped the cause. I too have an aversion to debt.

Bottom line, get the bike you want - with the stipulation that it fits in the household budget.

BINGO!!!!! I was not completely satisfied with my 07 SE Ultra, had spent way too much on the bike with improvements trying to make it a bike I would be happy with. Suspension, seat, etc., etc. I was relatively happy with the 07 until I test rode the new 2014 Ultra Limited. It was everything I was looking for, best yet, with my well kept 07 SE Ultra as a trade-in I was able to write the check for the difference, wife was happy and so am I. If I could have wrote the check for another CVO without any issues (including the wife) I would have regardless of the facts and numbers, in the end I am completely satisfied with the 14 Ultra Limited in Daytona Blue. Planning about $1,200 in cosmetic upgrades and I'm good. I even put the CVO turned aluminum dash on my bike.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »

BINGO!!!!! I was not completely satisfied with my 07 SE Ultra, had spent way too much on the bike with improvements trying to make it a bike I would be happy with. Suspension, seat, etc., etc. I was relatively happy with the 07 until I test rode the new 2014 Ultra Limited. It was everything I was looking for, best yet, with my well kept 07 SE Ultra as a trade-in I was able to write the check for the difference, wife was happy and so am I. If I could have wrote the check for another CVO without any issues (including the wife) I would have regardless of the facts and numbers, in the end I am completely satisfied with the 14 Ultra Limited in Daytona Blue. Planning about $1,200 in cosmetic upgrades and I'm good. I even put the CVO turned aluminum dash on my bike.

Ya know even though the CVO comes "loaded" I've still managed to spend @ about 2k on cosmetic stuff -changing the Radio and gauge backlighting, some chrome doodads, different saddle bag guards to give the wife more comfort  ::) and installing Daymakers and modifying the tourpak lighting into run/turn/brake (more safety than cosmetic  - that's my story and I'm stickin to it).  Then of course @1k for the Fullsac exhaust.. Dang I better stop adding this stuff up in my head... I guess I'm one who just can't leave well enough alone  :huepfenlol2:

I do like the factory custom paint on your Limited. I think it rivals that of the CVO  :2vrolijk_21:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »

That Daytona Blue is the bomb. Seen the Street glide in that color but never a limited. I kinda wish i would of waited to get the Daytona Blue limited but got the CVO Limited in blue. I think the Daytona blue looks bad ass. Imagine it really pops in the sunshine....
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »

Ya know even though the CVO comes "loaded" I've still managed to spend @ about 2k on cosmetic stuff -changing the Radio and gauge backlighting, some chrome doodads, different saddle bag guards to give the wife more comfort  ::) and installing Daymakers and modifying the tourpak lighting into run/turn/brake (more safety than cosmetic  - that's my story and I'm stickin to it).  Then of course @1k for the Fullsac exhaust.. Dang I better stop adding this stuff up in my head... I guess I'm one who just can't leave well enough alone  :huepfenlol2:

I do like the factory custom paint on your Limited. I think it rivals that of the CVO  :2vrolijk_21:

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words
Scott

jaymedic44

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO limited silver/ autumn

• CVO1: 2009 Cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 cvo ultra
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO limited
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 07:26:44 AM »

I traded my 09 cvo intra for a 14. NO REGRETS, i would do it again in a heartbeat!!!  14 is a much nicer bike.
2014 CVO limited silver/autumn
2009 Cvo ULTRA 21 inch Pm wheels legend air ride progressive monotubs Fulsac exhaust
2006 Cvo ULTRA Autum Haze
2005 Heritage Softail World of wheels show bike
2004 Ultra Gold/Black
2003 Road King  Black/Silver
1999 Ultra Blue/Silver
1998 Road king Red/ Gold
1996 springer Custom
1974 Sportster

mike85120

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Tribal Orange....Traded
    • CVO3: 2013 CVO Road King Burgandy Blaze....Sold
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »

Okay, I will first start out by stating that I am foolish/crazy.
On July 26th I bought a new 2013 CVO Ultra Classic...traded in a 2012 Ultra Limited with a little over 27,000 miles on it. Quite frankly I thought that I found heaven ;D. The most important option for me was those crazy power locks...  :huepfenjump3:. It was Tribal orange and I immediately put a thousand miles on it the first week then left on a four thousand mile trip to Sturgis and beyond. Really and truly I thought I was in love. While in the shop for the 5k service my wife called the dealership and told the salesman that I needed the Blaze red Road King CVO that they had on the floor. Through no fault of the bike or Harley I all but hated that bike....(I have been spoiled with the full fairing). I ended up selling that bike to a different dealer for a loss of about $750 plus tax.
The dealership knew that I was interested in a CVO Limited but also thought I was done buying for a while.....I went in to look at a Blaze Red CVO Limited that was sold only to find out that an hour before I got there the customer had cancelled their order......This was actually the hardest decision I have had regarding a bike in a very long time, but I ended up buying it.
I have had the bike for a week and two days and have only put 243 miles on it but it is by far the best machine I have ridden.
I did have buyers remorse for the first few days, but after a 100 mile ride I couldn't imagine going back.
To any one who is on the fence, if you have the money (or for those of you who do not mind financing) I cannot imagine anyone not being happy with the 2014. I do not profess to know what all the changes are nor do I really care, I care about riding pure and simple...and the 2014 excels in that area.
By the way I have the best wife ever...yes she does have a sister and no she is not at all like my wife.

anzac

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »

Mike85,

very well put

shovelhead FXEF

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »

traded my 09 CVO Ultra for a 2014 Burgandy blaze CVO Limited.  Got top trade in dollar for the 09 which I kept super clean.  In Ohio you only pay sales tax on the difference between trade and new bike cost. It was a no brainer, good by 09 and hello 2014. It rides far superior to the 09 CVO
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.