Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Head Cooling Fans?  (Read 2475 times)

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Water Head Cooling Fans?
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »

Tryin to figger out when the fans come on.  Duck walk two freeway exits the other day, know it was gettin pretty warm, couldn't hear the fans for all the raod noise, got off went 4-5 blocks to the cigar bar, parked, switch off, no fans, and by the time I got my jacket off she burped up orange on the parking lot.  Does the ECM controll fan operation, or some heat sensor in the system somewhere?  Goin in for service Monday, they say radiator cap probably, but me thinks it's a cooling fan issue??  Any pontification appreciated.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Water Head Cooling Fans?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »

Tryin to figger out when the fans come on.  Duck walk two freeway exits the other day, know it was gettin pretty warm, couldn't hear the fans for all the raod noise, got off went 4-5 blocks to the cigar bar, parked, switch off, no fans, and by the time I got my jacket off she burped up orange on the parking lot.  Does the ECM controll fan operation, or some heat sensor in the system somewhere?  Goin in for service Monday, they say radiator cap probably, but me thinks it's a cooling fan issue??  Any pontification appreciated.

There is a coolant temperature sending unit in the bottom of the left hand radiator, and it supplies temp information to the ECM.  The ECM uses that data along with road speed data from the speed sensor to determine when the cooling fans should turn on and off.  The fans will also run for up to three minutes after shutting the engine down, or until the coolant temp drops below 203°F, whichever comes first.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:19:23 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »

I have not been able to make sense of when my fans turn on.  It seems they turn on when they shouldn't have to and don't when they should.  :nixweiss:

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

ktorian

Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »

Mine are sometimes on when I shut down.  Other times its hard to tell, but if I reach down at a stoplight I can feel the hot air coming out of the vents so I can tell they are working.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:08:30 AM »

There is a coolant temperature sending unit in the bottom of the left hand radiator, and it supplies temp information to the ECM.  The ECM uses that data along with road speed data from the speed sensor to determine when the cooling fans should turn on and off.  The fans will also run for up to three minutes after shutting the engine down, or until the coolant temp drops below 203°F, whichever comes first.

Jerry
Soo, that makes me think that the ECM is the culprit, not the radiator cap etc.  Also believe that radio issues are ECM induced also, as when it locks up etc, the only way it fixes is when you park, switch off, and it resets, things that make ya go Hhhmmm.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.