Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Russell Day Long seat VS Mustang  (Read 3642 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Russell Day Long seat VS Mustang
« on: December 31, 2018, 08:21:39 PM »

I am wondering what the opinions are currently regarding the Russell Day Long seats.  I  have had two Mustang seats and like them. However, I still need an AirHawk pad if I'm going over 300 miles/day.  I'm looking for comments from owners of Russell seats.  What was your wait time? Did you try the Day Long one day service?  Have you been happy with it? If you buy a new bike will your have another one made?  Thanks for the comments.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Re: Russell Day Long seat VS Mustang
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »

I have had Russell seat, Mustang . Corbin and my best long distance seat has been the HD Hammock. 500 miles  a day easily . The only issue is that they do not look  a cool as Corbin, Mustang or the original CVO seat but my butt loves it. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 10:26:39 PM »

Agreed. The HD hammock is awesome. 627 miles in one day and it was like riding in a Cadillac all day. Well except for the sunburn. And dry lips.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »

I am wondering what the opinions are currently regarding the Russell Day Long seats.  I  have had two Mustang seats and like them. However, I still need an AirHawk pad if I'm going over 300 miles/day.  I'm looking for comments from owners of Russell seats.  What was your wait time? Did you try the Day Long one day service?  Have you been happy with it? If you buy a new bike will your have another one made?  Thanks for the comments.
So when I ride my "Achilles heel" is my butt. I can only ride on the weekends and normally will go between 300-450 miles per day but always need to balance my time in the seat between breaks due to some form of "monkey butt". Over the years and many bikes I think I have tried just about every seat out there including taking many of those seats and getting them additionally modified with everything from foam to silicones. The most comfortable seat I had found up to a few months ago is the Danny Grey Airhawk seat with adjustable air cushion but even with that seat I can only go a couple hours at a time before having to take a break.
I had always heard about Russel Day Long seats but never cared for their looks and candidly couldnt imagine a seat with only foam really working for me anyway. A few months ago I got a BMW Bagger and when going on the BMW forums overwhelmingly people were talking about how the Russel Day Long (RDL) changed their world so I called them. They had a open spot on Nov 6th (a few month away from my call) at their shop in Redding Ca so I booked it. JC and I made plans for a week long 2100 mile trip (JC made the plans, I just planned on chasing him around for a week) and it was day 3 when I did their "ride in" deal. Met them there at 8AM to pick out materials and stacking pattern and they took measurements and pics of me on the bike. Around 3 hours later I went back for them to do "a fitting" with me and then around 4PM it was all done.
First of all I think the seat came out beautiful but more importantly for the first time ever I actually can ride all day with zero "monkey butt" and we certainly tested it for the next few days. We would regularly spend 12 hours riding only stopping for gas brakes and a quick lunch.
If I was reading this I wouldn't believe it either but honestly the RDL seat truly is amazing and worth every dime! Here is a pic of final product. I think it looks right on the BMW, still not sure how it would look on a CVO though.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 12:32:45 AM by SDCVO »
Alan

ScottAL

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE (traded)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 04:25:37 AM »

The Russell Day Long is hand down the best seat I have ever used. I have done 1,000 mile + days on the seat with no issues, very comfortable. Usually takes a couple of months to reach your place in line. If you are to far away for the one day service you can ship your seat in when your window gets close or I have bought a cheap used seat on Ebay before so I wouldn't be without my seat for long.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 09:19:37 AM »

I also use the HD waffle pad to help with monkey butt  plus it is one more layer of padding. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 10:21:24 AM »

So when I ride my "Achilles heel" is my butt. I can only ride on the weekends and normally will go between 300-450 miles per day but always need to balance my time in the seat between breaks due to some form of "monkey butt". Over the years and many bikes I think I have tried just about every seat out there including taking many of those seats and getting them additionally modified with everything from foam to silicones. The most comfortable seat I had found up to a few months ago is the Danny Grey Airhawk seat with adjustable air cushion but even with that seat I can only go a couple hours at a time before having to take a break.
I had always heard about Russel Day Long seats but never cared for their looks and candidly couldnt imagine a seat with only foam really working for me anyway. A few months ago I got a BMW Bagger and when going on the BMW forums overwhelmingly people were talking about how the Russel Day Long (RDL) changed their world so I called them. They had a open spot on Nov 6th (a few month away from my call) at their shop in Redding Ca so I booked it. JC and I made plans for a week long 2100 mile trip (JC made the plans, I just planned on chasing him around for a week) and it was day 3 when I did their "ride in" deal. Met them there at 8AM to pick out materials and stacking pattern and they took measurements and pics of me on the bike. Around 3 hours later I went back for them to do "a fitting" with me and then around 4PM it was all done.
First of all I think the seat came out beautiful but more importantly for the first time ever I actually can ride all day with zero "monkey butt" and we certainly tested it for the next few days. We would regularly spend 12 hours riding only stopping for gas brakes and a quick lunch.
If I was reading this I wouldn't believe it either but honestly the RDL seat truly is amazing and worth every dime! Here is a pic of final product. I think it looks right on the BMW, still not sure how it would look on a CVO though.
The "look" is why I couldn't bring myself to own one of them... they are "butt" ugly IMO (pun intended :D)... nothing against those that own them but the look reminds me of the statement "Does these pants this seat make my butt look big". :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 10:54:02 AM »

Sure hope this thread continues.. I have been looking at the RDL seat just haven't convinced myself that a seat can be worth a $1000
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 11:03:01 AM »

Sure hope this thread continues.. I have been looking at the RDL seat just haven't convinced myself that a seat can be worth a $1000

Yeah, me too.  But when I hurt at 400 miles and still have 100-200 to go, Money doesn't seem to be as big an issue.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »

The "look" is why I couldn't bring myself to own one of them... they are "butt" ugly IMO (pun intended :D)... nothing against those that own them but the look reminds me of the statement "Does these pants this seat make my butt look big". :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Hmmm, just wondering if a mirror has the same affect?  :P

I looked at the RDL as well, and also didn't like the look of them... Not to mention the price!

However a needed a new seat and the H-D replacement was $1,600.CDN, so that for sure wasn't going to work.

I decided to make my existing seat the way I want it - comfortable with a memory foam insert, keeping the heat element and a nice recovering job.

Couldn't be happier with the results...
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »

I have tried the stock Ultra/Road Glide seat, the stock CVO Road Glide Ultra seat, H-D Sundowner, H-D Hammock, H-D Road Zeppelin, and Russell Day Long (RDL). The RDL is by-far my favorite, but more importantly, it makes the ride most comfortable for my wife who has had major back surgery.

Here are a few of my learnings:

1. I've used the same seat on three different touring bikes - a 2009 Ultra Classic, a 2014 Ultra Limited, and a 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra. I consider the RDL an investment, not an expense.
2. Nobody sees the seat when you're riding and you'll be able to ride longer than anyone else in your group, so ignore the fugly comments.
3. Buy an OEM seat on Craigslist or Ebay for the carcass shell (buy a ripped seat super cheap). Save your old seat so that you can return your bike to OEM when ready to sell and transfer the RDL to your next bike (assuming the fitment allows)
4. If you can do the ride-in program, DO IT!!! I had to send mine back twice for tweaking, both times my error in measurements and/or seating position specification. The shipping back and forth gets expensive quick due to the size of the box!
5. Don't get the support spring unless you are +280#. I was on pace to expand up to their 250# threshold for the support spring and so I opted for it the first time around. I had them delete it the first time it went back.
6. Get the heated seat!
7. We found the tourpak backrest on the Rushmore bikes leaned back too far, so I bought a used/ripped backrest and had them rebuild the backrest to have the passenger sit more upright.
8. I prefer the all-leather material, but opting for the pleather material (same as OEM) can save you $$.

Now, the big question...would I do it again? Probably not before test driving a Corbin or Mustang (at a rally) just because of the expense. That said, I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of this one.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:43:36 AM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 05:31:45 PM »

I wish I could write of experience with the Russell saddle.  I say this only because of the profoundly first impression one of them made last year.

Had heard of them and seen a couple. The Simon rolled in to Eureka Springs last year for the Gathering.  He was kind enough to let me sit on his bike for awhile just to get a feel for his Russell Day Long saddle. 

Don't get me wrong; the Corbin on my old Road Glide fits me better than any saddle (other Corbin's or other saddles) I have ever had.  Simon's saddle from Russell, however, gave an entirely different kind of feel than I've ever noticed out of a bike saddle before.  All in good ways.  Can't say I've put miles one.  I'd like to.  But for whatever a first impression made on an old well ridden ass is worth that Day Long saddle gave promise of being exceptionally good.

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »

This is what my wife and I use, it's an option

Yeah, me too.  But when I hurt at 400 miles and still have 100-200 to go, Money doesn't seem to be as big an issue.

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »

I bought one of those AirHawk pads. I found it too squishy for me. I just couldn't get it adjusted to my liking. I replaced it with a BeadRider and have been very satisfied with that.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »

Last year I purchased a new BMW Bagger. Having suffered from monkey butt my whole riding life including COB seats, HD Hammock seats decided to try the Russell Day Long seat. Did the ride in service for a personal fitting. They completed in one day, went with all leather, maintained the factory heating.

It's the most comfortable seat I've owned. Did sit me higher by 1 to 1.5 inches.

Highly recommended. Here is a pic of my seat compared to a stock BMW B seat.

Remember: requires a factory seat pan. I purchased an extra oem seat online so I would never have down time should I send seat in for a repair.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 24 queries.