Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERIOUS knocking in my 110 Twin Cam  (Read 1699 times)

Scatpack440

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • QC

SERIOUS knocking in my 110 Twin Cam
« on: July 23, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »

So my 2013 CVO with 12000 miles on it has fallen to the unreliable area of my motorcycles. After having being at the dealer twice for a total of 6 weeks the HORRENDOUS knocking in my CVO 110 is really pissing me off. 2 compensators later, new lifters, etc the clunking noise in the primary is still present, always when hot at idle (5psi of oil pressure) I am now being told this is normal.
When I posted the video of the noise HARLEY DAVIDSON CANADA asked me to remove them if I wanted my bike repaired. Is this common? I am quite disappointed in a bike I always considered a "dream machine" All I want to do is sell, biggest lemon of my life.   :soapbox:  Have new videos and they will be posted soon to youtube.
Steve - Montreal, QC
2013 CVO Ultra Classic

stumps66

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO, V&H power duals, CFR slip ons
Re: SERIOUS knocking in my 110 Twin Cam
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:16:23 PM »

I feel ya!!!   I have a 2015 cvo with the 110 and my bike has been in the shop for a month.  One of the lifters failed and took out the engine.  Waiting for a new engine to be installed.  I am debating the same, and possibly going to get rid of the bike and go back to riding Hondas. 

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »

They can deny warranty work if they discover an owner posting videos on the interweb?

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »

They can deny warranty work if they discover an owner posting videos on the interweb?

I was wondering the same thing.  It's got to be an ESP issue cause the bike is a 2013 so the factory warranty is long gone.  Still, the video is of the sound it's making, not a reflection of the dealership.... :nixweiss:

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 02:12:15 PM »

Ya....shhhhh....'cause nobody knows about these issues.......hahahaha!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 02:51:23 PM »

Not unless there is some fine print in the ESP contract saying they can.  Otherwise, a court would probably side with the bike's owner on something like this.  Even though Canada isn't as lawsuit crazy as the USA, I would have to believe a lawyer would be happy to take the case.  If not, we have plenty of them here we could export to Canada.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »

It's hard to reply to a thread like this because it's about a noise, and Harley's have so many noises they always claim are "normal".  But if you're talking about what Harley refers to as a neutral rattle, it is a very common issue on bikes with the Cruise Drive transmission.  Normal is not the same thing as acceptable btw.  What happens when you pull the clutch lever in while idling hot? 

Another possibility I didn't see you mention in your list of parts replacements is the primary chain tensioner.  We have a member who chased the neutral rattle issue and even updated his trans with the latest gears without eliminating the noise, and then he found he could eliminate the noise with the  primary cover removed and the bike running when he pried on the tensioner with a lever (screwdriver).  There are other problems that can also create noises, like the clutch hub loose on the shaft or with worn splines.  Kind of hard to think it would be that with only 12k miles, but nothing is impossible with these bikes.

Jerry

Here's a link to the thread by Texas 103 concerning what he found with the tensioner.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114907
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:44:19 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 25 queries.