Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Harley and Garmen GPS  (Read 6447 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Harley and Garmen GPS
« on: May 27, 2005, 02:44:31 PM »

Here is an announcement that HD put out earlier this month:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garmin(R) Hits the Road With Harley-Davidson(R)
Monday May 16, 2:48 pm ET
Roadtech(TM) Quest(TM) to Be Offered on Road Glide(R), Electra Glide(R) Models

OLATHE, Kan., May 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Garmin International, Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN - News), today announced that Harley-Davidson will begin offering a new Garmin-built GPS navigation system as an option specifically designed for its Road Glide and Electra Glide models.

Named the Roadtech Quest, the system provides premium road navigation capabilities -- including automatic route calculation and turn-by-turn voice-prompted directions to addresses or points of interest like lodging, restaurants, and Harley-Davidson dealers and service centers. Riders will enjoy the unit's easy-to-use interface and easy-to-read high-resolution color display.

Best of all, current owners of Harley-Davidson 1998 or later FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCUI, and FLTRI models can retrofit the Roadtech Quest onto their motorcycle's fairing for a clean and streamlined look.

"Harley-Davidson is a recognized pioneer and innovator, and their brand evokes passion among motorcycle enthusiasts," said Gary Kelley, Garmin's director of marketing. "By equipping the Road Glide and Electra Glide with a proven GPS navigator, bikers can enjoy the ride instead of worrying about how to get there."

The unit contains 114MB of internal memory for loading detailed map information in the United States and Canada. The unit is sold with Garmin's MapSource City Select CD-ROM and a PC interface cable, so riders can customize their map data for wherever they're traveling.

Rugged and waterproof, the Roadtech Quest can be removed from the motorcycle's integrated fairing mount and stowed in a pocket for safekeeping. Turn-by-turn audible voice prompts are delivered through the bike's audio system or an included earbud. The unit also has an internal lithium-ion battery for on-foot adventures.

The Roadtech Quest navigation system gives riders even more reason to love some of Harley-Davidson's most popular touring models. Riders can choose convenience and peace-of-mind -- built by Garmin, a company that is a respected leader in GPS navigation.

Additional features of the Roadtech Quest include:

-- High-resolution 256-color TFT color display that's easy to see in day
or night
-- Turn-by-turn voice prompted directions
-- Calculates shortest or fastest routes to addresses or points of
interest
-- Automatically recalculates a route if the rider misses a turn
-- Built-in 13MB routable Americas basemap that contains airports,
cities, towns, state and interstate highways, local thoroughfares and
secondary roads
-- USB connection for fast detail map downloads from included
MapSource® City Select® CD-ROM.
-- Also available with European and Australian map data

The Roadtech Quest is available now. See Harley-Davidson dealers for pricing and installation, or visit http://www.harley-davidson.com for more details.

Garmin International Inc. is a member of the Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN - News) group of companies, which designs and manufactures navigation, communication and information devices -- most of which are enabled by GPS technology. Garmin is a leader in the general aviation and consumer GPS markets and its products serve aviation, marine, outdoor recreation, automotive, wireless and OEM applications. Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in the Cayman Islands, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at http://www.garmin.com/pressroom or contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200. Garmin, MapSource, and City Select are registered trademarks, and Quest is a trademark of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.

Other trademarks are owned by Harley-Davidson, Inc

Source: Garmin Hits the Road With Harley-Davidson
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Harley and Garmen GPS
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 11:05:11 PM »

I understand it comes with a built in database of all  H-D dealers and their addresses and phone numbers.  I'd like to get that to download to my 2610.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 11:13:08 PM »

I understand it comes with a built in database of all  H-D dealers and their addresses and phone numbers.  I'd like to get that to download to my 2610.

Dan

Probably couldn't download it directly to our 26XX units.  The data would be part of those unit's base matrix so we'd need not just some additive downloand for ours but a different matrix that had the bike shops added to it.  

Each year's current HOG Road Atlas has the bikes shops listed in it though.  With phone numbers and addresses.  Since we can plug in any address and get there we've still got the bases covered.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 11:13:38 PM by twolanerider »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 07:01:54 AM »

Occasionaly, Harley will be updating the list.  The download may be usable in other GPS' like the 2610.  Bokkmark the following link:

Harley Dealer Download Page

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 10:59:04 AM »

Occasionaly, Harley will be updating the list.  The download may be usable in other GPS' like the 2610.  Bokkmark the following link:

Harley Dealer Download Page

/Bill

Wish they were Bill, but no such luck on the interchangability.  I downloaded one of the Quest data sets and then opened it up and the data matrix won't just add to what's used in the 26XX.  Nice idea; just no soap.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »

Wish they were Bill, but no such luck on the interchangability.  I downloaded one of the Quest data sets and then opened it up and the data matrix won't just add to what's used in the 26XX.  Nice idea; just no soap.

There is still hope...there is no update yet under the Dealer Download section...I wonder If I can export?

I did play with my Road Tech this weekend in my Harley...unfortunately it was in my new Ford HD F-350 on a trip to VA.  I learned the hard way that I forgot to download map data!  When you try to find the nearest bar, it be nice to have the map data loaded to actually do it!

/Bill

dwgibson

• NANR

• CVO1: FLHTSE2
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 09:17:54 AM »

If you checkout the webpage www.gpsnow.com you can find the Garmin Quest for $369 and in the accessories you will find a Ram-U mounting bracket along with the motorcycle mount that will allow you to put on your handle bar and not have to drill holes in your fairing.  You can even get a short jumper to plug into your AUX input so that you can hear the voice response for turns.  I got the entire outfit for $500 and change…….  Been using the heck out of it…..keeps you from getting lost.  If you need other handlebar mounting brackets a good webpage is www.ram-mount.com.  

Gibby
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards"

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 07:40:15 AM »

Is a Road Tech 2 GPS far behind?  Garmin has a new Quest 2 preloaded with the entire US Data 9city Select NT):

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest2/

Since I just damaged the antenna (hit a bump, dislodged, lost spring and another piece, but have mended the antenna) I don't know if I would upgrade...then again

/Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 12:07:18 PM »

Is a Road Tech 2 GPS far behind?  Garmin has a new Quest 2 preloaded with the entire US Data 9city Select NT):

Since I just damaged the antenna (hit a bump, dislodged, lost spring and another piece, but have mended the antenna) I don't know if I would upgrade...then again

/Bill

So the little cradle thing didn't keep its grip on the unit when you hit a bump?  That's kinda scary.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 12:09:55 PM »

So the little cradle thing didn't keep its grip on the unit when you hit a bump?  That's kinda scary.

Cradle held fine...my guess is that when I  [smiley=oops.gif] dropped it a couple of days ago, I dislodged the spring side.  Then, while installed, the antenna portion popped out...now it pops out too often.

/Bill

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 11:06:27 PM »

/Bill

Would the QUest 2 have the electrical pins on the back that would  
fit and match the Harley mounting system ?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 06:17:05 AM »

Would the QUest 2 have the electrical pins on the back that would  
fit and match the Harley mounting system ?

They use the same GARMIN  mounts as the std. Quest so I would have to say yes!  As an example, the Garmin Motorcycle Mount (That I believe naitram has) works for both:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10610%2D00

/Bill

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 08:38:19 AM »

as near as i can tell the only difference between the quest and quest2 is amount of storage, makes me wonder if there is a flash card or something like it inside thaqt i could upgrade
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 08:40:12 AM »

garmin is having me ship my unit back to them because of the voltage related rebooting problem...I wonder if I could upgrade to the Q2 while there?

/Bill

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 01:29:40 PM »

found some interesting info while surfing today, the european version of the quest came with 234MB of storage as opposed to the US that came with 115MB

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 02:16:37 PM »

found some interesting info while surfing today, the european version of the quest came with 234MB of storage as opposed to the US that came with 115MB

US Basemap?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 02:28:19 PM »

i think the base map is the same for the whole world, but i could be dreamin'

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.