Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Rush Slip-ons - Race Tuner and Dyno?  (Read 6598 times)

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
New Rush Slip-ons - Race Tuner and Dyno?
« on: May 18, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »

Okay, so I'm not real fond of the sound coming out of the stock exhaust, but I like the look of the stock exhaust. I ordered a set of straight cut (pt# 14203 w/2.25" baffles) Rush slip-ons from American Classic Motors (should be here by next Wed.,) and I've heard two very different trains of thought.

The service manager at another dealership, and two of the mechanics there, told me that there is enough leniency in the standard map to allow me to run the new mufflers with no changes in the map, and no need for a dyno (unless I want to know how the engine is performing.)

The service manager at the HD dealership where I bought the bike told me that the new exhaust warrants that the bike to be remapped and dyno'd. (He later recanted this when I told him what I was told by others, and said that I should clean my plugs before putting on the new mufflers, then check them after a tank of gas to see if the mixture is correct... i.e. tan tips equals too lean)

If the bike is running too lean with the new mufflers, I will need to get a fuel injection tuner (SERT or comparable) to do the adjustments.
Has anyone else run into a similar situation with dealerships giving conflicting info? And has anyone tried changing part of the exhaust without a remap and dyno?

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
Re: New Rush Slip-ons - Race Tuner and Dyno?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 08:56:34 AM »

Keep your eye out for another thread which covers modifying your existing mufflers

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »

Has anyone else run into a similar situation with dealerships giving conflicting info?
Yes.
Keep in mind that the way things are done at a dealership is often the way that that particular service manager does things. Not always a bad thing. We all do things our own way.

And has anyone tried changing part of the exhaust without a remap and dyno?
Yes.
Consider the air cleaner and/or whatever other mods your going to do so you only pay for dyno time once.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

woohoorider

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »

I put on Bub's jug hugger exhaust with chamber maids for back pressure and have 5000 miles on my red fxdse, no problems so far. The 110 comes from the factory in very lean configuration so I'm running the PCIII in a few days when it arrives on my doorstep and this will enable me to set a good air/ fuel configuration. I'll let you know what the dyno says in a couple weeks when I get results

myfxdse07

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 10:48:30 PM »

wizgee, I just put a pair of Rush slipon on my FXDSE this weekend and they sound awsome!! Very deep low sound but not too loud, look stock  and very easy to install. Only thing I noticed is that I get a some backfire \popping when I decellerate.  Now, it gets confussing.
HD says I should install a SERT ... no prob but they are hard to get. I spoke to Power commander dealer and he says a guys had same prob and he put more miles on it and the problem cleared up (?). He says the HD system should be able to compansate for this. A Dyno proshop by me and they say I should get PC and dyno it to eliminate the popping ($520 - install\dyno)
So all I can say is you won't be dissapointed with the sound but you may have the bike adjusted to get it just right. I will prob. go with the PC and dyno option next week.
Good luck.

woohoorider

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 09:22:11 AM »

Good luck with the PCIII and dyno tune, please let me know what your dyno numbers with that set-up turn out to be. I'll post my numbers with the jug hugger pipes and PCIII soon as I get em.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 06:09:48 PM »

I tried to order V&H TD but I was told they are on back order and won't be shipped to the Uk for a good couple of weeks.,  What a performance eh!  Apparently V&H don't want them stuck on the shelf so only buy to requirement.  is there anyone out there who knows a dealer who can ship to the UK.

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 10:59:10 AM »

The new mufflers are on the bike, and it does sound like a H-D now. Nice low rumble sound, with plenty of volume. Got the popping sound too when I let off the throttle (back pressure release.) Seems like the performance is better, as 0 to 60 - 70 mph takes no time at all. I'm still debating on reinstalling the muffler heat shields. And the popping sound was there with the stock mufflers too... just was a lot quieter. It's been raining here since the day after I put the mufflers on, so I haven't been able to take the bike over to my tech to check it out. Hopefully, this afternoon it will clear up for awhile.
I will probably get a SERT in a few weeks, just to tweak it up a bit too. I was advised to stay away from the PC (and other tuners) as they MIGHT cause problems with the ECM. Could just be BS, but why take the chance. I can get the SERT for $371 from Surdyke H-D in MO, and they had some in stock last time I checked.

myfxdse07

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 12:22:30 PM »

Hi Guys, I have the Rush Slip-ons (pt# 14203 w/2.25" baffles) with Power Commander III and here are my dyno numbers:
HP = 96.4
Torque = 109.1
RPM = 5.81
The two lines meet at 5.3 rpm @ 95 hp\torque ( Not sure what this might suggest)
I noticed right off the bat the bike runs much smother and the de-acceleration popping is almost eliminated but not annoying like before.
Total cost:
$250 Rush slip-on (I installed in less than 30 Min's)
$360 (PC-III (Installed by HD dealer)
$230 Dyno-time (3 hrs - HD Dealer) This cost might be less if done by a local co.

Over all I am very please with the results.  My bike runs and sounds great!

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 08:29:16 PM »

I just added the SERT and some Vance and Hines slip-ons.  My bike only has 500 miles on it so I am not ready to dyno it yet so the dealer (Kutter in Janesville WI) did the canned download and my bike runs great.  Virtually no popping on decel and no coughing.  My mileage dropped to about 40 mpg after the install.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.