Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Shock Setting  (Read 8325 times)

Rides2007Harley

Rear Shock Setting
« on: July 16, 2007, 08:38:08 PM »

My 07 rear shocks were set with 2 lines visible on the adjustment.  Have you changed this setting?

soulfly

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King Anniversary FLHRSE5 #165
    • CVO2: (2007 CVO Dyna Twilight Blue Ice Blue Pearl/Granite)
Re: Rear Shock Setting
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 05:32:06 PM »

OK,

Help me the guy who does not even know how to adjust them?  Where should they be & how do you do it?

(199lbs)
THE MORE SERIOUSLY I TOOK THINGS, THE HARDER THE RULES BECAME.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 07:38:55 PM »

I tested mine with the 2 lines visible (stock), moved them to 1 line visible and now have them with 4 lines visible.  To be honest I can't tell much difference and our weights are about identical.  To adjust them you simply turn the upper shock and you will see the reference lines change.  Just make sure that both shocks settings match.

The rear shocks have squeaked since the bike was new, not sure if this is a common or isolated thing.

cdog

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 11:50:13 PM »

I don't see any reference lines.... Where are they? 
2007 CVO Dyna FXDSE, Rinehart Exhaust, PCIII.

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:50:29 PM »

Look just below the top shock mount. If you don't see any lines, you must be at the lowest preload setting. As you turn the upper half of the shock (clockwise) you'll see the lines. The more lines showing, the higher the preload (stiffer) in the shock. Of course you'll have to clean the fingerprints off when you're done.  ;D

cdog

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:28:16 AM »

Copy that.  Found the lines.  I can see TWO lines. 

So thats a low setting...which is soft (but feels rock hard). 

How many lines are there total?
2007 CVO Dyna FXDSE, Rinehart Exhaust, PCIII.

HDbeerman

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 01:00:38 PM »

My 07 rear shocks were set with 2 lines visible on the adjustment.  Have you changed this setting?

I've made my bike solo only and thought @ 210 pounds I wouldn't need to increase the preload. I figured keep it soft so it sags lower and rides softer. I was totally wrong. My bike always felt like the front end "pushed" in corners or just wouldn't turn tight like my Low Rider would. I kept increasing the preload and the bike still rides soft enough but the cornering has improved. I can't remember if I'm at 3.5 or 4.5 lines? Regardless the cornering has improved. If you compare the FXDSE to a regular Dyna you can see the bike is lowered in the back. It looks nicer with the fender area filled and makes the bikes front end looked more raked, but it also changes the steering angle and decreases the steering responsiveness.

But I still have the squeaky spring sound. Really only notice the sound when the engine is off. Don't know if others can hear it while riding.

Screamin Dyna

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 03:40:14 PM »

Just to let you know I complained about the squeaky shocks and the dealer called Harley.  The shocks were replaced without hesitation (other that they took forever to get here) and now I am riding squeek free and very pleased.  You should not have a $26,000 bike that sounds like a buckboard wagon!!!
I Love this Bike!

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 06:25:32 PM »

Copy that.  Found the lines.  I can see TWO lines. 

So thats a low setting...which is soft (but feels rock hard). 

How many lines are there total?

Not really sure how many lines there are. Never had mine set any higher than three lines showing. If you want to exercise your wrists, let us know how many you get showing.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 07:00:44 PM »

I noticed a common misconception floating around this thread, and I hope no one minds if I clarify something about shock preload.

Preload adjustments are not intended to increase or decrease the spring rate (hard or soft ride), but only to set the ride height.  What you should be shooting for is for the bike to sag approximately 25-35% of full travel with your intended load on the bike (rider, gear, passenger, etc.).  This allows the shock to function properly both in jounce and rebound, without bottoming or topping out prematurely.  If the preload is set to the minimum and you experience a hard ride, that is most likely due to the shock bottoming out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 07:02:01 PM »

Just to let you know I complained about the squeaky shocks and the dealer called Harley.  The shocks were replaced without hesitation (other that they took forever to get here) and now I am riding squeek free and very pleased.  You should not have a $26,000 bike that sounds like a buckboard wagon!!!

It is nice to know that my bike is not the only one that squeaks.  I tried a brand new showroom bike and it squeaked as well.  I can't hear it when I am riding but it bugs the heck out me when I have the motor off and I am backing it into the garage.  Still no luck getting the mirrors replaced and my dealer has dropped the ball on that issue.

Thanks for the info Jerry, I guess that is why the ride feels the same regardless of the position.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 07:07:59 PM by Rides2007Harley »

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »

I have gotten used to the fact that these shocks will make a little noise when moving it with the engine off, but that mirror thing is irritating! Harley tells me there is nothing to be done...what the dag!?! Overall though, I am very pleased with the ride and handling of the bike. The performance is awesome with the K&N air filter, Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered, SERT & Mobil 1 fluids. Anyone in Northern Virginia with one of these machines? I'd like to ride with another cvo Dyna (all my friends have stock Dynas/Soft tails/Road Kings).
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

SEHALSEY

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 04:40:15 PM »

My shocks squeaked as well....I sprayed lithium grease down from the top where there is a seam in the cover as well as up between the inner & outer chrome covers. No more squeaks!

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.