Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vance & Hines Deceleration Popping  (Read 4518 times)

Blackbart

Vance & Hines Deceleration Popping
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:47:25 PM »

I have a 07 FXDSE with Vance & Hines big shot staggered and the heavy breather 90° coned filter.  I purchased the SERT for tuning.  After installing the exhaust and breather I programmed the ECM with the closest base map.  What an incredible difference but I was getting a lot of deceleration popping.  I knew my next step was to get a dyno tune.  I had the local HD dealer do this for me.  When I got the bike back it seemed to run smoother yet there was still a lot of popping in deceleration.  I compared the changes the tuner made to the map and found that he had only changed the VE tables.  Those changes were in the 5% to 100% throttle positions and 1750 up RPM range.  I studied the SERT manual inside and out, then went back to the tuner and decorously questioned him.  It became clear to me that this tuner was well suited for bolting on chrome.  He was nice enough to give me all the AFR charts he had compiled during the dyno testing.  With these charts I compared the changes the tuner had made.  I did a few minor changes to the adjustments he had made.  I knew I had to make changes to the VE tables in the areas that were not touched.  So, I compared many different VE tables and came up with a multiplier to use enabling me to make reasonable changes on the VE tables in the untouched areas.  After doing this I got rid of about 70% of the popping.  I then played with the decel enleanment table, changing it from one extreme to the other.  This made very little differences in the popping.  Now frustrated I called Vance & Hines, they said I should have gotten the fuel pack they sell but assured me that the popping can be tuned out with the SERT.  I am currently looking for another local dyno tuner.  Is there any one here with the Vance & Hines big shot staggered that was able to get rid of all deceleration popping?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Vance & Hines Deceleration Popping
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 02:26:50 PM »

I have a 07 FXDSE with Vance & Hines big shot staggered and the heavy breather 90° coned filter.  I purchased the SERT for tuning.  After installing the exhaust and breather I programmed the ECM with the closest base map.  What an incredible difference but I was getting a lot of deceleration popping.  I knew my next step was to get a dyno tune.  I had the local HD dealer do this for me.  When I got the bike back it seemed to run smoother yet there was still a lot of popping in deceleration.  I compared the changes the tuner made to the map and found that he had only changed the VE tables.  Those changes were in the 5% to 100% throttle positions and 1750 up RPM range.  I studied the SERT manual inside and out, then went back to the tuner and decorously questioned him.  It became clear to me that this tuner was well suited for bolting on chrome.  He was nice enough to give me all the AFR charts he had compiled during the dyno testing.  With these charts I compared the changes the tuner had made.  I did a few minor changes to the adjustments he had made.  I knew I had to make changes to the VE tables in the areas that were not touched.  So, I compared many different VE tables and came up with a multiplier to use enabling me to make reasonable changes on the VE tables in the untouched areas.  After doing this I got rid of about 70% of the popping.  I then played with the decel enleanment table, changing it from one extreme to the other.  This made very little differences in the popping.  Now frustrated I called Vance & Hines, they said I should have gotten the fuel pack they sell but assured me that the popping can be tuned out with the SERT.  I am currently looking for another local dyno tuner.  Is there any one here with the Vance & Hines big shot staggered that was able to get rid of all deceleration popping?

You might want to pay Wes a visit at Cycle Rama in Pinellas Park - right next door to you.  If he can't help you, he will know someone local that can...

Good Luck
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Blackbart

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 02:42:03 PM »

sadunbar
I have their phone number and will be contacting them.  Thank you very much.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 02:46:44 PM »

You have a PM  (personal message)

Look under "my messages" in the header at the top of the page...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.