Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I test rode the new 110" 2008 SEUC today...  (Read 1897 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
I test rode the new 110" 2008 SEUC today...
« on: December 09, 2007, 01:04:47 AM »

At the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach, CA.

It was nice. It was cool in the morning when I rode, so I did not experience all the engine heat that might have been come up later in the day. However I did notice what I thought was spark knock, or ping after pulling away from a red light that kept me idling for longer than usual. The bike is nicely quiet, and under hard accelleration I heard more induction noise than exhaust. There is more than enough grunt to pull away in 3rd gear at 2K. I felt the ride to be much more "floating" than my '01, so I know the suspension upgrades made the difference there. On the freeway it handled predictably, although it would take me a while to get used to the softer ride. I intentionally locked up the rear brake several times to kick in the ABS. I was very impressed. The bike did the usual ABS "clunk-n-click" thing, but stopped straight. I even locked it up over a rough uneven surface and the bike tracked straight.

Back in the parking lot I convinced the road captians to let me slow ride it around so I could get a feel for slow speed handling. I managed only a few full lock figure 8s and U-turns before the staff ran out and made me stop. My turns were somewhat clumsy because I was not used to the fly by wire throttle. The throttle just did not respond as quickly, and as finely as I would have liked, especially when I had it leaned over, slipping the clutch and dragging the rear brake. I know it's the future of throttle control, but I still prefer cables. However I am sure that over time, I could get used to it.

I give the bike a Big Thumbs Up!

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: I test rode the new 110" 2008 SEUC today...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:02:32 AM »

Good to hear this report, thanks for taking one for the team.

:cherry:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:20:39 PM »

Mark, are you still considering selling your bike?  Is this part of the shopping process for you?

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 11:08:28 PM »

ABS will be nice but I would like to see a second generation product before I would trust it and use it as it should be (panic stop just grip as hard as possible).

Same for the "Throttle by Wire" - I'm sure they will get it right - but knowing the "MotoCo" - it won't be on the first run!

:2vrolijk_21:

John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Kevinski

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 and lovin' it
    • CVO2: FLSTSE2 and loved it but sold it
    • CVO3: FLHXSE Tequila (sold)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 04:01:01 PM »

I did not get to ride, but managed to sit on an 08 SEUC at a show in England last month. The seat height seemed much higher than the 07 model, I just did not feel at ease as not being able to get my feet down really firmly. Has anyone else noticed this or could have been a bad seat?

Cheers,

Kevin

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:23:25 PM »

Mark, are you still considering selling your bike?  Is this part of the shopping process for you?

Yes, I am still considering selling my bike. And, the bike I am looking for will either be the same year, or a year older, the SERG. I spoke with the folks HD at the bike show, and there are no plans for another SERG anytime soon.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 08:34:52 PM »

ABS will be nice but I would like to see a second generation product before I would trust it and use it as it should be (panic stop just grip as hard as possible).

Same for the "Throttle by Wire" - I'm sure they will get it right - but knowing the "MotoCo" - it won't be on the first run!

:2vrolijk_21:

I thought the ABS was excellent. It reminded me a lot of the ABS on the BMWs I rode on duty, and that was a great system too. So don't hold off buying one just for improvments to the ABS. Now as for the Fly By Wire throttle, I might wait on for improvments for that. Like going from M&M to Delphi, I can see how HD can make it better the second or third generation. With my style of riding. I prefer not to have even a little throttle lag.

One thing I found interesting was the auto-locking system. I saw plastic "bricks" about 2"x8"x1" all wired into the lid of the tourpack and the bottoms of the saddlebags. At first I thought it was ABS, or maybe a tracking system for theft. No, it was all part of the auto-locking system. I never used the auto-locking system during the test ride, and given a choice, I'd rather have the little bit of extra space, and the ease of removing the saddlebags.

Mark

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »

Apparently you would need to be extra careful in testing the ABS equipped Beemers. Maybe waiting for Gen II or Gen III ABS equiped bikes is a smart thing to do. Check this Beemer site:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22120

Don S

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:38 PM »

Apparently you would need to be extra careful in testing the ABS equipped Beemers. Maybe waiting for Gen II or Gen III ABS equiped bikes is a smart thing to do. Check this Beemer site:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22120

Don S

The thing about BMWs, in my experience, is that there are so many ABS variations on the market right now. When I started on my duty BMW it was just ABS front and rear, and I liked it. Then BMW went linked. Then servo-power assisted. Then linked with servo-power assisted. Then the GS riders complained that the ABS kept them from being able to lock up the rear in the dirt and sand, so BMW added a cut off switch only for the GS bikes.

Personally I don't like the linked system because I have seen it deploy at slow speeds during full lock turns. Not too big of a deal, as long as the rider is able to "free wheel" it, but those who can't struggle with slow speed turns, or drop the bike because it is the same as applying the front brake with the bars turned.

I guess what I am saying is that like all things, the HD ABS will no doubt evolve too. But for me, the ABS system on the SEUC was good enough. And like ANY braking system, ABS, or non ABS, practice with it reguarly.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 03:07:00 AM »

I did not get to ride, but managed to sit on an 08 SEUC at a show in England last month. The seat height seemed much higher than the 07 model, I just did not feel at ease as not being able to get my feet down really firmly. Has anyone else noticed this or could have been a bad seat?

Cheers,

Kevin

Good morning Kevin,

Yes ! the seat height is much higher on '08 than '07.
The reason is the ECM under the seat and not on the right side cover.

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.