Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike will die sometimes when clutch is pulled...  (Read 1568 times)

Dash Riprock

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 SERG Black & Charcoal (sold) Regular ol' Ultra Classic (Sold) 2003 FLSTSI Heritage Springer Softail
Bike will die sometimes when clutch is pulled...
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:32:35 PM »

My "new" 2001 SERG has the stage 2 download. It idles a little rough....and has on three occasions just quit when I decelerated to turn or stop the bike. Usually I've downshifted to 2nd gear...pull the clutch in with no throttle...and she has died. I get no error code on the bike. The previous owner had it in the shop at 5K mikes to check..(bike has 7400 miles now)...service tech said he checked the bike...plugs OK, idle adjusted to spec. I spoke to a tech at another dealership today who suggested I might have a bad "air control" module (whatever that is).

Any thoughts about why this beauty wants to quit on me?

Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Bike will die sometimes when clutch is pulled...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 09:51:49 PM »

My "new" 2001 SERG has the stage 2 download. It idles a little rough....and has on three occasions just quit when I decelerated to turn or stop the bike. Usually I've downshifted to 2nd gear...pull the clutch in with no throttle...and she has died. I get no error code on the bike. The previous owner had it in the shop at 5K mikes to check..(bike has 7400 miles now)...service tech said he checked the bike...plugs OK, idle adjusted to spec. I spoke to a tech at another dealership today who suggested I might have a bad "air control" module (whatever that is).

Any thoughts about why this beauty wants to quit on me?

Thanks

The Marelli bikes had a "wandering idle" problem.  Low idle would sometimes fluctuate a bit.  There was those several years ago a service letter to reflash the ECM that corrected the problem.  Don't know for sure of course, but it's at least something that is worth finding out if it has been done.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »

mdc, does it cut off when fully warmed up or all the time? time is as bad as milage,you'll still may have leaking intake seals, gummed up throttle body or injectors. hot and cold idles are tricky to set properly,  let have a little more input and maybe we can help.  axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Dash Riprock

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 SERG Black & Charcoal (sold) Regular ol' Ultra Classic (Sold) 2003 FLSTSI Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »

On all occasions it has been after the bike was hot. I can start it cold and it will idle OK....right at 1,000 rpm. When I start it while hot...the idle seems to be a little rougher....it still sits at 1,000 rpm...but you can hear it chug a little every so often. It doesn't always quit when hot...just on occasion. I've thought about injectors...going to run some fuel additive to it to attempt to clean.

I'll check into the ECM flash...thanks

Thought I'd ask others about this air control device to make sure I'm not getting "bent-over". The local dealerships around here are expert at that maneuver!

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »

mdc,if your going to add an additive i suggest about 3ozs of bg 44k and it works when the engine is off, soaking and saturating the goop, there isn't air control module or iac motor ,  but there is an idle stepper motor  but reacts slowly.  my thoughts are gummed up injectors(low mileage), intake leaks and a good hot and cold idle adjustment.  good luck,  axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Dash Riprock

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:17:13 PM »

Thanks!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 09:14:16 PM »

To check for intake leaks spray carb cleaner or WD40 at all the intake joints and listen for a change in the idle. To check for an exhaust leak, take your bic fire clicker and hold the flame near the exhaust port and all joints. It will flicker if there is a leak.

I know you pain, back when my bike was a Marelli, it did all those same things too.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Dash Riprock

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:30:03 PM »

Appreciate the input. I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »

MDC,

Keep us informed of your progress.  Those of us still holding running with the Marelli's are always interested in what folks are doing to get them dialed in.  The biggest compliant now with mine (I had mine reflashed when I installed the SE air cleaner) is that it idles irractically when I let it warm up too long.  Best to let it run for a couple of minutes until it transitions from fast idle to regular idle and then shut it down if I am not ready to ride.  It also gets touchy sometimes when I ride in stop and go traffic.

Good luck,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Dash Riprock

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »

Sure will.....although it has not quit once on me since I posted this thread. It will fall below 10K RPM idle once hot....acting like it's just about to quit. Maybe all it needed was some miles. it's a 2001 with 7200 miles on it. I've put about 600 miles on it since I bought it...and added a little fuel injector cleaner.

maybe I'm cured!

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.