Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: HOW TO ADJUST THE REAR SUSPENSION  (Read 20269 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
HOW TO ADJUST THE REAR SUSPENSION
« on: September 25, 2008, 04:59:50 PM »

This is not a statement or a How to do it,

It is just thet I want to know how to adjust the rear suspension; make it harder and lift it up so I get more road clearance. Right now I scrape my footrests all over and I'm woried I might hit a pothole or something and end up on the floor.

So I would like to know how to adjust the rear shocks and also if there is an aftermarket set of forward controls that sit higher on the bike. The CVO Springer 2008 has potential for leaning, it is just that plenty of parts hit before you reach a dangerous limit. For that reason I now tend to lean the least possible, but that is a real pity.

So my two questions are:
1).- How to adjust the rear suspension..
2).- aftermarket forward controls that stand higher than original

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
Re: HOW TO ADJUST THE REAR SUSPENSION
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:29:29 AM »

Somewhere I read someone say that our CVO Springers come from the factory at the lowest (softest) setting; in my case this must be so, because two up the bike is impossible to ride since it bottoms at every single bump. I've looked under the bike, where the bottles are and I can't see any spring adjustment system as other shocks have, just a nut that fixes the rod to the suspension unit on the front side....
Hopefully someone has already performed this adjustment and can tell me how to proceed. I have a good garage workshop and do everything myself; just need the "know-how" :-\

Best Regards,

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:32:14 AM »

I also need to adjust my 08 springer shocks because the bike bottoms out with a passenger. I bought the spanner wrench but haven't done it yet. There is no guidance in the service manual as to how much to turn the plates. I asked a tech at the Harley shop and he suggested one full turn on the adjuster plates to start with, but he cautioned to turn both plates equally.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:47:11 AM »

Thanks DarkEagle,

I will carry out the adjustment this weekend and see how it goes; will use a vernier calliper to make sure both dampers are set exactly the same.

Best Regards and enjoy the weekend.

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 04:42:34 PM »

I did the adjustment but was unable to try the bike out. Managed to rotate the adjuster plate 1/2 a turn on each damper, but without the proper spanner it was quite a fight and had to forget measuring the adjustment with a vernier calliper, since there is practically no room to measure. I bet that 1/2 a turn won't make much difference. I wish H-D would say a bit more on how many turns are needed... It is so simple when you have the external shocks on either side of the seat and with a "C" spanner you just go from one click to four or whatever. Maybe someone can tell me (in turns) how many you need more or less to go from the original position to a two-up arrangement.

I keep thinking that I should just dump them and install an air suspension where you adjust them at a push of a button; then again the only set that I would feel safe with would be the SAS that has all air connections included in the unit, self contained, because I dread to think about one of those plastic tubes comming off or burning, resultin in a total collapse of the rear suspension...... :( :( :(
The other problem is money related... incredibly expensive costing over US $ 1.600!!!!
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »

I finally got around to adjusting my shocks on my 08 springer today. The locknut is 1 1/16 inches that needs loosened, so you need a pretty big wrench. Even though the manual says to do it on the jiffy stand, my wrench was too long to get it on without interfering with the ground, so I jacked up the bike using my lift so I could get a wrench on the locknut. After loosening the locknut sufficiently, I turned out the adjuster plate on each shock 1 1/2 full turns (6 quarter turns using the spanner wrench) before tightening the locknuts back onto the adjuster plate. For me, the ride was a nice improvement. I'll try it at this setting for a while--definitely stiffer and the ride's more solid. Don't know if it increased clearance for cornering though since I avoid aggressive cornering to the extent I can help myself. The bike wasn't bottoming out at locations on the road that it used to. However, by reading what adjustment I did to my bike, you need to realize that it's possible not all bikes come from the factory with the same initial shock setting although most probably are the same.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:53:29 AM by rheiner »

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 06:01:38 AM »

Rode the bike for  some 150 miles, one up  along beautiful winding country roads and ended fed-up with my actual suspension apart from getting a sore back from such stiff yet able to bottom completely in many occasions  :-X .... So I have just ordered an SAS complete rear suspension  :apple: Now my piggy bank has gone bankrupt for months to come; just hope it is worth it  :-\
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 10:47:06 AM »

For what it's worth, in my SED, I had a lowering kit put on the rear, which in turn caused it to bottom out all the time. I then cranked the dampening to the highest setting to prevent the bottoming and it's not pretty good unles I hit something unsually bad. I'm a bigger guy at ~225lbs, and while it's certainly not a plush ride, this set up works well for me. I think the trick is to adjust the shocks to the point they no longer bottom out for 98% of your use - including passengers and load. Knowing that the rear suspensions are the same, I figure this might help.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 09:13:01 PM »

I'm only 155 lbs wet and sometimes when my bike hits a hard enough bump, I think my back breaks. Unfortunately i have the opposite problem. What way do I turn it to loosen the suspension?

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 03:21:07 PM »

Rode the bike for  some 150 miles, one up  along beautiful winding country roads and ended fed-up with my actual suspension apart from getting a sore back from such stiff yet able to bottom completely in many occasions  :-X .... So I have just ordered an SAS complete rear suspension  :apple: Now my piggy bank has gone bankrupt for months to come; just hope it is worth it  :-\

That SAS unit looks much better than the one Progressive Suspension - it looks like it has the compressor built-in - quite sleek - let me know how it goes...maybe Santa Cluas comes sround early this year  :huepfenlol2:
Did u order via dealer or "direct" ?

Cheers

A_R

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 04:18:29 PM »

Amarillo_rider,
I go it from an HD dealer (TNT Action Sports in Quincy) and he managed to sell it cheaper than directly. The kit will arrive in two days; really looking forward to this week-end since I also got the V&H 2-1  :orange: :mango: :bananarock:

A round of San Miguel beer;  0,0 if you ride.....

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: Cheers to that !

Keep me posted on the SAS - will start inquieries around this neck of woods too

A_R

Gamecock

• 08 Inferno SE2
  • 08 SSSE

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno
    • CVO2: tbd
    • CVO3: tbd
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »

So Spanish Flyer, how's it goin w/ the suspension now? I appreciate all the conversation here, very good stuff. I definitely need mine adjusted as I bottomed out on it every bump!

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »

Hi Gamecock,
I've had the pneumatic SAS suspension for several months, but being winter I seldomly took the bike out. Now I ride it a bit more and I can tell you that apart from being great fun to lower the bike to its maximum and being able to ride the bike without any suspension, it can also ride higher than standard which helps a lot with the foot rests as they no longer hit the ground and in general my sore back has gone as the pneumatic damper works a lot better than the standard shocks that were more like solid bricks.....

High speed handling is fine as long as you keep the suspension high or to its maximum pressure. Trying with lower set-ups, I do notice slight weaving at high speeds (over 90 MPH). Don't remember how the bike behaved previous to the mod...

I think it is well worth it.
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Open Road

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 04:40:54 PM »

All of this is a littlle disconcerting since I am considering buying a 2009 CVO Springer. My question is: what is different about the softail suspension on the CVO Springer that would cause it to be so soft or bottom out frequently. I have been riding a Fat boy which I assume has the same factory suspension settings and I have not experienced this problem. Also, it appears as though you can purchase more rigid shocks through the dealer if necessary--this seems to be a lot cheaper than the SAS air ride. Regarding scraping the front pegs---anyone come up with a solution? :'(

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 04:47:59 PM »

the cvo springer shocks are set very low to give a low seat height,low mean look.   i wouldnt say it is set soft, it bottoms out cus its set low, as a single rider i have no problems but with luggage and a BSR then it bottomed out.

it obviousy depends on the weight of the riders.  a good dealer should set the suspension up according to your requirements

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »

All of this is a littlle disconcerting since I am considering buying a 2009 CVO Springer. My question is: what is different about the softail suspension on the CVO Springer that would cause it to be so soft or bottom out frequently. I have been riding a Fat boy which I assume has the same factory suspension settings and I have not experienced this problem. Also, it appears as though you can purchase more rigid shocks through the dealer if necessary--this seems to be a lot cheaper than the SAS air ride. Regarding scraping the front pegs---anyone come up with a solution? :'(
Although it's set up soft from the factory, they are adjustable. Like I shared earlier, just tighten them up firmer until they only bottom in the most extreme conditions. Then they'll be using the full range 99.9% of the time which is perfect.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »

Been on a set of springs for over 20 years and agree they have a life all their own,but to hear people having such difficulty and resorting to an air-ride with a brand new bike seems a little hasty, no disrespect intended..  I'd rather go to the tool box and see if I could adjust it first.Shifter distance,brake distance, headlight beam, rear shock adjustment, handlebar and reach heights, tire pressures etc. are major adjustments that are intended to be made before one should even think of putting the old lady on the back for a good ride. Setting up the bike for your basic style is first step,and the rear suspension is one of the biggest areas,and often most overlooked areas, because it not only involves comfort but also safety (2 of the most important ) and should be addressed and your comfort can be found. It doesnt help with the lowering kit, my 97 Bad-Boy handled great until I put the lowering kit on and even with proper adjustments still would sometimes bottom out when loaded down hard but was awesome for 99% of normal riding. It took me 3 adjustment attempts around 1-1/2 hrs and my sweet spot on the 09 is 44 psi rear 38psi front,1-1/4 (equal turns both shocks) turns stiffening the suspension. I had the bike prepped with the saddle bags on with a 12 pack ( pepsi of course ) in each, me and the wife with coats and full gear ,full bag of fuel. Much,MUCH better. And for those that dont own a spanner wrench and dont ever intend to, the dealer can make these adjustments quickly and (I've heard) will do it for free where I bought from as part of a normal bike setup, I prefer the bonding thing with the new scoot myself. (brake,shift lever and handlebars also,free) If I were to start from somewhere I think I'd start with some basic free stuff before going with $$   Safety 1'st !!

Sorry so long winded but I've always considered this a highly important and overlooked area in my neck of the woods and it is something that I'd never thought would be enough to discourage others from purchasing a Springer !
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

jester

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »

i had the same problem with the shocks set at the factory specs, bottomed out alot with and without a passenger.  i bought the wrench at the dealer and adjusted mine by the number of threads i could still see before tightening the lock nut.  you just need to ride and and readjust it until you find the proper setting.  it takes a small amount of time but you get to know your bike better
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 24 queries.