Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Tourpak interior LEDs not coming on; is switch in hinge? 2006 FLHTCUSE  (Read 3896 times)

UNYboater

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2006 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUSE Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide

New-to-me bike & just got it home. Everything is good except heated grips not warming up & LEDs in Tourpak don't come on when I open it.  Ideas?
Also, there's a 4-pin connector under the liner that's not plugged to anything; is that an aux power plug?  The 2-pin on the same harness goes to the hinge & on up to the LED cluster.

Thanks all.
2006 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUSE Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool

Not sure on the 2006 but on my 2011.5 the lights do not come on when you open the lid. The surface of the led is also the "button" to turn them on or off. After you open the lid press on the led lens and they should come on. Just remember to press it again to turn it off or you will be wondering why the bikes battery went dead.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

If the bike has the LED interior light, as opposed to the old bulb version that provided much superior illumination, then it isn't supposed to turn on when you open the lid like those older models did.  Press the lens as phato1 posted.  In theory, the light is supposed to time out automatically, but considering who built the bike, I'd turn it off manually before trusting it to work automatically.

It's a shame that they screwed up the gravity switch in the old style light that did turn on and off automatically.  Back in 2005 those switches started failing in massive numbers, leading to dead batteries.  Harley eventually did a little service campaign and replaced them with the LED version, rather than just fix the switch problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

As stated above push center of switch it comes on, mine times out every time but if your worried about it not going off repeat procedure and turn off. I had a spare that I wired into the console of my Ford Platinum pickup since they were too cheap to provide a light. Works great and times out as it should.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Delta

• Full CVO Member

When I purchased my CVO Ultra used, the heated grips did not work. It turned out that there was no fuse. Put a fuse in and they work.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Hey Delta you still snowed in
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

UNYboater

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2006 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUSE Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide

When I purchased my CVO Ultra used, the heated grips did not work. It turned out that there was no fuse. Put a fuse in and they work.
I was thinking along those lines...so I'll be digging out the book to check that.  There are a lot of differences between this & my old '95 Ultra Classic!
Thanks!

Delta

• Full CVO Member

Hey Delta you still snowed in
Don't talk to me! ;)

We dodged a storm last night, only got an inch of slush. Still can't see over the snow banks at intersections. I think in Feb we only had 2 days above freezing. Today in the 40s, tomorrow back in the 20s, a heat wave. Rumor has it another storm on the way. I figure if the snow melts at the rate of 1 inch a day we might get a ride in at the end of April. Last I heard Laconia has 108" of snow so far this year. Getting to old to be rolling around on the detached garage floor doing mods to the bike in the cold.

Did I say don't talk to me, Awghhhhhhhhh damn cabin fever. Hope to bump in to you guys this year.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Delta,

We will have to make a point of getting together we can celebrate Chappy.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU

heated grips not warming up

The heated grips from that year (and others) were very poor quality and burned out frequently.  Many people replaced them with Heat Demons brand http://www.heatdemon.com/catalog/Motorcycle/Heated-Motorcycle-Grips.

Here's a discussion about heated grips vs heated gloves:  www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100219.0
If you want peace, prepare for war.

UNYboater

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

The 5 amp fuse looked OK but still no heat. :(  Oh well.  Too bad the Extended Service Contract doesn't cover them! LOL

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust

The 5 amp fuse looked OK but still no heat. :(  Oh well.  Too bad the Extended Service Contract doesn't cover them! LOL

Mine got covered under extended warranty.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Check your contract again.  I don't remember seeing an exclusion for the heated grips (but of course that doesn't mean there isn't one, it could mean my memory sucks).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Delta

• Full CVO Member

+1, I don't see why the grips wouldn't be covered. There are Factory Installed Stock Equipment.

In Memory of Chappy

UNYboater

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Check your contract again.  I don't remember seeing an exclusion for the heated grips (but of course that doesn't mean there isn't one, it could mean my memory sucks).

Jerry
Trust me, I'll try!  Just waiting for the paperwork after the transfer of the Service Contract to come through.  I need to get the NYS inspection anyway so it'll be visiting the dealer shortly after that.

UNYboater

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

Re: Tourpak interior LEDs not coming on; is switch in hinge? 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »

+1, I don't see why the grips wouldn't be covered. There are Factory Installed Stock Equipment.
Well, the dealer replaced the grips under the Extended Warranty!  They also found a cracked inner bearing race & fixed that as well. I had developed a minor leak & they found the race before it fragmented, fortunately!  All in all, they did a LOT of  work for only the $50 deductible.  Impressed me enough that I extended it for another 5 years.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.