Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: HK Stereo Replacement- Need Advise  (Read 7115 times)

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
HK Stereo Replacement- Need Advise
« on: November 06, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »

I have a 2013 CVO Road Glide.  My bike is out of warranty and my stereo took a dump.  I want to replace it with an OEM radio so please don't suggest after market options.  My bike has rear saddlebag speakers and a preamp in one of the saddle bags.

My Question:  Can I use any OEM Harley Davidson HK Stereo or do I need to buy a stereo specific to the models which have rear speakers and preamps?  I'm looking to buy preowned.

Thanks.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: HK Stereo Replacement- Need Advise
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »

Russell check out Iron Cross Audio.   They have gotten numerous good reviews here.

From their website;

Iron Cross Audio performs repairs of the Harley Davidson Advanced Audio System by Harman Kardon.

A $250 flat fee is charged for all units without physical damage or extensive liquid intrusion. We offer fast turnaround…usually no more than two days…and a 1 year warranty with an included lifetime re-repair discount should you develop an issue outside the warranty period.

The team at Iron Cross Audio has been repairing the Harley Davidson Harman Kardon unit since its inception. Collectively, as former techs for Harman Kardon, we have repaired thousands of units. Our experience ensures that we not only address and repair the issue that the unit was sent in for, but also perform all necessary updates and modifications. Beyond that, preventive maintenance actions in areas we know may be a problem in the future are preformed to insure the long and trouble free operation of the radio after the repair. We are so confident in our repairs and maintenance, that we are willing to back it with an industry leading 1 year warranty.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 11:35:54 AM »

Thanks Gregg.  They may be my best option.  My only concern is that my stereo is having several intermittent problems.  The sound cuts in and out and it bounces from left to right and front to back.  The screen will go blank while riding  but the unit still functions.  I'm thinking it may be a less frustrating process to find a used one for about the same price as Iron Cross Audio charges to repair my current unit.   I'm trying to weigh my options.

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 12:50:57 PM »

Thanks Gregg.  They may be my best option.  My only concern is that my stereo is having several intermittent problems.  The sound cuts in and out and it bounces from left to right and front to back.  The screen will go blank while riding  but the unit still functions.  I'm thinking it may be a less frustrating process to find a used one for about the same price as Iron Cross Audio charges to repair my current unit.   I'm trying to weigh my options.

I will second what Greg is suggesting. 

Yes, you may able to "find a used one for about the same price as Iron Cross Audio charges" but my guess is it will have no warranty as offered by Iron Cross.  In that case, you are back in the same boat when that cheaper option craps out and then you end up spending more.  My '12 SESG HK did the same thing coming back from South Dakota in '13.  It was still under factory warranty so I got a new replacement?  No, the MoCo replaced it under warranty with a remanufactured head unit (it's their option).  Had it not been under warranty, Iron Cross would have been my first choice for HK repair.

It is your bike so do as you feel led and good luck with however you go... :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »

I will 3rd what was stated above... if you were happy w/the OEM radio send it to Iron Cross and have them look at it first. You may want to inquire about any upgrades they may provide while you are speaking w/them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 04:10:55 PM »

I used Iron Cross Audio a few years back....my SEEG stereo.  Was very happy with their work.    Give em a call and tell them what the issue is and see what they say.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LN Nation

• Full CVO Member
  • God Bless Chesty Puller
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »

I also used Iron Cross Audio. Trust me, your radio will be fixed, intermittent problems and all. Also, they have a Bluetooth mod for the OEM HK radio.
2013 FLHRSE5
Fullsac Headers
Fullsac CVO Baffles
TTS Mastertune

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »

I'll chime in as well.

Tony and the entire ICA team are top notch and I agree with Gregg's advice.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

I'm going to be in the minority here but I had a head unit repaired and reworked to include differing types of cables including the addition of a 30 pin IPod dongle. The workmanship seemed spot on and I was very pleased initially but it soon became apparent there were problems with the iPod adaptor. Eventually under closer inspection  I found the male 30 pin to be a n indoor snap together connector thus allowing water and debris in which corroded the internal circuitry.    I wrote Iron Cross a pleasant letter explaining how pleased I was with the unit however I would like to purchase a replacement dongle that I could cut and solder in as I didn't want the down time of the head unit removal. My response from them was a single sentence stating " We switched vendors, you need to send the unit in". 
Although they may have made things good in some way, I didn't bother reading their response past the " we didn't change vendors due to defective parts" after sending them a scathing reply as to what I thought of their customer service, their inability to provide an alternative solution to head removal and their reluctance to admit installing a substandard indoor connector on an outdoor unit to begin with. I ended up going a more expensive, but different route with the unit due to my displeasure with their customer service
All said, with the overwhelming responses being favorable, as a new customer I wouldn't hesitate having them rework a unit. I however will not work with them again.
I'm getting old and crotchety.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »

i have also used iron cross, not for a repair but for the bluetooth upgrade...and have to say it was money well spent, if you go with them for your repair i suggest having it done    :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:02:25 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 08:09:18 PM »

Given all the high praise they've received I think I'll give them a try.  Thanks for all the advise.

kreed2007

• 2007 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 08:18:43 AM »

Iron Cross Radio is awesome, they fixed my HK radio out of my 2007 CVO Ultra Classic! :2vrolijk_21:
2007 CVO Ultra Classic, Black Ice and Electric Orange, D&D Fat Cat, TTS Master Tune

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »

If you want a sound system that really sounds great, contact Sound Z in South Dakota.  They also go to all the bike shows and can fix you up right there.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Skullglide09

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 12:18:10 AM »

Hey there guys so I have a 2012 cvo roadglide skunk and have had issues with the radio since I bought the bike with 36 miles on it about 1 1/2 yrs ago. The sound cuts out left or right or both a lot while driving never while sitting still. Dealer has replaced radio amp tweeters speakers. What is the issue and what can I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 07:19:05 AM »

I did the upgrade aquatic AV.     Has lots of options and plays great.    Waterproof and has rca jacks.   Easy to connect to an amp. I was tired of the iPod working when it felt like.    This radio has a USB port.   I took the HD iPod out of the rear saddle bag.  Works with handle bar controls too. Your iPod or memory stick goes behind the front removable face      Really nice.     Stuart

Hoodini37

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »

I had my HK radio repaired at Iron Cross and just dropped it off at the dealer to reinstall today.  They not only repaired the vibration damage to the main board, they also upgraded and reinforced the whole unit.  They also performed the latest software update.  I also had them perform the Bluetooth modification for good measure.  I'll let you know how it turned out in a future update. 

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 05:42:54 AM »

Stu, did you notice a difference in audio quality with the aquatic radio? Are you running aftermarket speakers and amp?
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »

Yes.  I have an Arc 4 channel amp sitting on top of the radio. . And focal speakers everywhere but the bags.  Hybrid audio there. . It's a great sounding combination.  No clock on the aquatic. .  However there is a clock now on the odometer. . Just push till it appears.  That was interesting.  I like it so far Stuart

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »

I just got the high end aquatic installed. Wow, great upgrade from the stock unit. Only complaint is the dimmer isn't bright enough.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 12:31:01 AM »

I agree. . Could be brighter. . I got used to it... Lots of plusses to offset the few short comings.   :2vrolijk_21:

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 10:31:40 PM »

Given all the high praise they've received I think I'll give them a try.  Thanks for all the advise.
Well....? What's the outcome? Did iron cross fix your radio?
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.