Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2017 CVO Limited Garage Door Opener  (Read 4377 times)

dixonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2006 VRSCSE2 (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Limited Garage Door Opener
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:53:47 PM »

I have been trying my best to get this garage door opener to work for me.  Learned the hard way that it doesn't work with Chamberlain.  I then found a company that makes a plugin wireless adaptor that makes it compatible.  So now I have the garage door opening and closing.  The problem I have is the range on the opener sucks!  It works fine inside the garage but as soon as the door is closed it won't transmit.  Am I doing something wrong or is there a way to boost the signal?

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: 2017 CVO Limited Garage Door Opener
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:46:34 AM »

Does the wireless adaptor receive the signal?  If so, I would think the wireless adaptor should have a wire for the antenna.  That wire needs to straightened out and maybe pointed down to get the best reception.  What company did you get the adaptor from?  Since moving to my new house mine hasn't worked either and I am back to carrying the remote.  There are several posts here about adapting the garage door system to work but I haven't tried that yet.

dixonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:39:36 PM »

Does the wireless adaptor receive the signal?  If so, I would think the wireless adaptor should have a wire for the antenna.  That wire needs to straightened out and maybe pointed down to get the best reception.  What company did you get the adaptor from?  Since moving to my new house mine hasn't worked either and I am back to carrying the remote.  There are several posts here about adapting the garage door system to work but I haven't tried that yet.

The issue is the HD receiver isn't receiving the signal through the door.  With the door open it has to be in the line of sight before it works.  The way the adaptor I bought works is that it plugs into where the wires go in the HD receiver and then acts like a wireless remote and triggers the door.  I am going to attempt to plug in the HD receiver in the house instead of in the garage to see if that will work.  The adaptor I bought is from Creative Access Solutions.

mslcpa

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »

Sure is easier just to keep the little 1" keychain opener that came with my garage doors velcro'd into the windshield bag. If for any reason it doesn't work, my other opener hops of the back seat and keys in the code. Works every time!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 05:48:58 PM »

The issue is the HD receiver isn't receiving the signal through the door.  With the door open it has to be in the line of sight before it works.  The way the adaptor I bought works is that it plugs into where the wires go in the HD receiver and then acts like a wireless remote and triggers the door.  I am going to attempt to plug in the HD receiver in the house instead of in the garage to see if that will work.  The adaptor I bought is from Creative Access Solutions.

Try connecting the H-D receiver to an extension cord and then moving it around the garage while someone else tries to open the door from the bike.  Depending on how close the receiver is to the actual door opener or other electrical items, you can experience interference that will severely shorten the range.  If moving the receiver to different locations doesn't improve the situation, contact your dealer for a warranty evaluation and replacement.  The transmitter might be weak, or the receiver isn't sensitive enough.  Unless you have a shielded garage and door, the system should penetrate normal construction.

My experience with Harley's receiver was never as bad as what you've described, but it was never even close to being as good as using one of the remotes that came with the opener.  I even tried extending the antenna on the receiver to outside the door and it didn't improve.  I eventually gave up on the outdated Harley system and just wired a Chamberlain remote to a switch on the dash and put the remote inside the fairing (Velcro tape).  Works like a champ and has at least three times the best range I ever got with the Harley system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dixonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »

So today I took my straw from lunch and used it to straighten the antenna out.  Now with the receiver on the same wall as before I can open the door when I am 6ft outside of the door.  With an extension cord putting the receiver in the window I was able to open it at the bottom of the driveway but as soon as I got out of line of sight it wouldn't open the door anymore.

I will see if I can live with it as is.  If not it will be going back in for warranty which I will probably do on next service.  Obviously something wrong as the remotes that come with the garage door aren't bothered by interference or my garage doors...and no I have no desire to attach that remote on my bike when my bike comes with an opener that should function.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »

I had the HD opener on my '15 SGS, and then transferred it to my '17 CVO.  On the '15, I could be 2 houses away and it'd work. My 'CVO is a hair less. I always hit it in front of neighbors house and it works just fine. BUT, The CVO wasnt like that with the transmitter located in the factory bracket attached to the amp mount. Located there, I had to damn near have the front tire touching the door before it'd work.  I found mine to work best with the transmitter positioned flat, vs vertically as HD designed the bracket to, and located it elsewhere. Mine is zip tied on the left side of radio above the cig lighter plug to the wiring harness in a horizontal position. I had the fairing off and was playing around with locations while parked across street. This is what proved to be the fix for me. On my '15,  I had it mounted flat next to the radio, as it didn't have the fairing amp with the vertical locating bracket.  2 bikes, pretty much same install, both work.  Give this a shot and report back.

dixonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »

I had the HD opener on my '15 SGS, and then transferred it to my '17 CVO.  On the '15, I could be 2 houses away and it'd work. My 'CVO is a hair less. I always hit it in front of neighbors house and it works just fine. BUT, The CVO wasnt like that with the transmitter located in the factory bracket attached to the amp mount. Located there, I had to damn near have the front tire touching the door before it'd work.  I found mine to work best with the transmitter positioned flat, vs vertically as HD designed the bracket to, and located it elsewhere. Mine is zip tied on the left side of radio above the cig lighter plug to the wiring harness in a horizontal position. I had the fairing off and was playing around with locations while parked across street. This is what proved to be the fix for me. On my '15,  I had it mounted flat next to the radio, as it didn't have the fairing amp with the vertical locating bracket.  2 bikes, pretty much same install, both work.  Give this a shot and report back.

Thanks for that.  I thought about pulling the fairing off and repositioning the transmitter.  Will have to give it a shot.  With the antenna straightened out with the straw I can now get it to open when I hit my driveway. 

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »

My receiver is plugged into the outlet directly above the opener on the ceiling, so the ant just hangs down.

dixonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24:45 AM »

My receiver is plugged into the outlet directly above the opener on the ceiling, so the ant just hangs down.

I wanted to put mine there but the AC plug for the alarm system and the garage door motor is plugged in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »

I have mine plugged right where the opener is as well.  It would work about 1 house away.  You could get one of those adaptors that make two outlets into 4 and then you could plug it right there by the open which is high and the antenna hangs down.  Thanks for the company info.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »

Assuming the ceiling is finished but you have access from above, it's not that difficult to add another outlet.  I much prefer that route (and I've done it myself) versus just plugging more items into the same outlet by way of external adapters. 

When I had my H-D receiver mounted to a ceiling outlet, I had to also provide for a way to secure the receiver to the ceiling.  Expecting the friction of the spade terminals of the receiver in the outlet to keep the receiver from eventually falling is an assumption I wouldn't make.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 10:32:44 PM »

When I had my H-D receiver mounted to a ceiling outlet, I had to also provide for a way to secure the receiver to the ceiling.  Expecting the friction of the spade terminals of the receiver in the outlet to keep the receiver from eventually falling is an assumption I wouldn't make.

Jerry

That was something I was concerned about too. Figured would give it a try. 2 yrs and its still hanging just as the day I plugged it in. A simple wire tie ran behind the outlet cover before its screwed on and then around the reciever will be my fix if it appears to be coming unplugged.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »

That was something I was concerned about too. Figured would give it a try. 2 yrs and its still hanging just as the day I plugged it in. A simple wire tie ran behind the outlet cover before its screwed on and then around the reciever will be my fix if it appears to be coming unplugged.

:2vrolijk_21:  Exactly what I did.  What I noticed with mine was since the plug wasn't centered on the receiver one end was hanging down more than the end with the plug and it didn't look or feel terribly secure.  Rather than wait for the receiver to fall and damage something, I just chose to be proactive.

Jerry

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »

Have you tried to add on to the antenna ( using telephone wire "1" strand of it) or equivalent and feed the wire to the outside of the garage above the door. So the signal is not being disrupted by the door when closed. Just a thought!

dixonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »

Have you tried to add on to the antenna ( using telephone wire "1" strand of it) or equivalent and feed the wire to the outside of the garage above the door. So the signal is not being disrupted by the door when closed. Just a thought!

Yes I did.  I used a whole spool of wire and ran it under the door.  It made no difference.  Through researching I actually read that the antenna length is important for it to function properly.  I will be trying it from the ceiling.  Just need to get another outlet installed.  Right now opener is working from the end of the driveway.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

Have you tried this model?  ::)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 09:42:13 PM by longlast »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 07:41:08 AM »

Most outlets handle 20 amps so even if you plug another wireless opener to your outlet it will not cause a problem (adding much less than 1 amp). Mine adaptor that went to four outlets had a screw that screwed it in place so it would not fall and then as others mentioned above you just put a wire tie or a Velcro strap (what I used) to keep everything neat and together.  No problems for 8 years.

dixonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »

Wanted to update this thread. I added an outlet on the ceiling and installed the receiver there. I gained about 6' in range. I can now activate it from the street at the bottom of the driveway.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »

Good to hear.  I may try that adaptor you got as well.

dixonk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »

Good to hear.  I may try that adaptor you got as well.

The guy is real nice to work with. Answers emails any time. I purchased online in the store and it was shipped within half an hour of payment and in my mailbox 2 days later. Took a whopping 2 minutes to set it up and most of that was setting up the step ladder to get to the learn button.

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.