Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: TomTom GPS for Motorcycles.  (Read 8335 times)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
TomTom GPS for Motorcycles.
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:54:01 AM »

I am planning to purchase another GPS for my bike. I would like to update my Streetpilot. Searching in the Internet I found this company:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Lid=4

Any of you guys have some kind of feedback about this product. It looks good.............

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

Re: TomTom GPS for Motorcycles.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:01:09 AM »

Some specs about TomTom Rider 2nd Edition:

TomTom RIDER 2nd edition - Functionalities

DEVELOPED BY BIKERS FOR BIKERS

Biker-friendly touchscreen: designed to be easy to use, even when wearing gloves
Waterproof and rugged: like any true biker, RIDER can handle the toughest weather
Easy to mount: comes with robust universal RAM mounting hardware that fits almost any bike

High quality in-helmet voice instructions: from Cardo scala-rider® wireless Bluetooth® headset. 

...BUT ALSO WORKS IN YOUR CAR!

Adapts instantly to car use: just fit the RIDER car mounting kit with speaker on the windscreen of the car, switch on and you’re away.

USER-FRIENDLY

No nonsense: just plug it in, switch it on & RIDE
Crystal clear: realistic and intuitive visual instructions, smooth-scrolling map display, and a choice between 3D bird's-eye view and traditional 2D map-format graphics
Fast destination selection: just 7 clicks and you’re on your way (that’s less than half as many clicks as any other bike navigator!)
Intuitive interface: TomTom's award-winning software for the very best navigation experience

BEST BIKING EXPERIENCE

Complete maps of the US and Canada on SD card: for worry-free door-to-door navigation
Route choice: plan your route to suit your needs - quickest, shortest, by required arrival time, avoiding toll roads and motorways, and more
Itinerary planning: at home on your PC or overnight on the road on the RIDER itself. Program the schedule of places you're visiting and set up your entire tour before even pulling on a glove
Millions of Points of Interest: from gas stations to restaurants and LOTS more. Not so much A to B but A to Z as well.

SAFE & SECURE

On-bike drive mode: featuring just 4 large icons and essential functionalities
Secure motorcycle dock: your RIDER attaches with an audible ‘click’, so you know it’s securely in place
Tested by TÜV: who is TÜV? They test manufacturer's products for safety, quality and durability to a level far beyond Europe’s normal CE standard. Want to know more?
Check the TÜV website

Hands-free call kit: RIDER doubles as a hands-free call kit, with Bluetooth® technology so you can take calls via your touchscreen as you ride. For safety reasons, outgoing calls are blocked while the bike is moving. But when you accept an incoming call, it's automatically routed to your earpiece/pad. And to make a call, just pull over, tap the screen and talk. With your helmet and gloves still on!

SMART SERVICES & EXTRAS

TomTom HOME: unique software to help you plan and schedule journeys on your PC, manage the content of your RIDER, get map updates & software upgrades and much more
Free Buddies service: locate, invite and add friends to your RIDER. Check who's in the area when you're touring or see where friends are right now
Access to TomTom online services: TomTom RIDER comes ready for a wide range of online services and downloads, including:
Real-time weather reports*: need the waterproofs? Get a real-time overview of the weather before setting off, including 5-day forecasts for all the places you're going to be.
Voices: download funny and famous voices for a bit of variety and fun on the road.
POI's: Thousands more POI's to download.
And much, much more.

* Real-time services require a compatible Bluetooth® phone and subscription with full internet access via your mobile phone ('GPRS' subscription). All other services can be downloaded via your computer using TomTom HOME and are also accessible on the road via your mobile phone (same requirements as stated above).

Show full feature list
Technical Information
Integrated GPS receiver with 20 Channel all-in-view tracking
CPU: 380 MHz
32 MB RAM
3.5 inch, 320 x 240 TFT color LCD touchscreen
4.46 in x 3.79 in x 2.08 in, 11 ounces
Internal rechargeable Li-Ion giving approx. 5 hours
Operating temperature: 14 to 130°F
Waterproof (IPX7) - protects against any wet-weather conditions
Bluetooth® headset battery - talk time: 7 hours
Bluetooth® headset battery - standby:
1 week
Memory card (SD card) with software and maps
USB port and USB cable 2.0 for PC connection
Alternative power source: 12V motorbike battery
High quality Cardo scala-rider® wireless Bluetooth® headset for in-helmet spoken instructions
RAM Mounting kit to fit nearly all bikes
Supports leading Bluetooth®-enabled helmets

TomTom RIDER 2nd edition - In the box
1. TomTom RIDER 2nd edition device

2. Cardo scala-rider® wireless Bluetooth® headset
for wireless spoken instructions and hands-free calling

3. RAM mounting hardware
to fit most bikes

4. Pre-installed memory card (SD card)
containing map data

5. Product code card
for registration and to ensure you get your yearly TomTom updates

6. TomTom HOME CD
to plan your tours via your computer

7. USB cable

8. Home charger
that charges at home or abroad, thanks to the international adaptors provided

9. Battery cable
for on-the-road instant charging

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »

Jorge,

The Tom-Tom was my second choice - went with Zumo 550.  Very likely that was in part due to my familiarity with Garmin GPS on my boat & others through the years.  No MP3 on the TT (unless I missed it).  The Bluetooth is use in the cars/truck but not on the bike since its my last place in the world (almost) with no cell phone to be answered.

The main drawback to the Garmin is the maping software for the PC.  It works, but it's clunky.  Not sure about the TT software.  Looks to be a good unit.

Remember seeing a comp[arison on these 2 somewhere.  I'll look but bet d00d has it ready to post.  :2vrolijk_21:

Mike
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:24:28 AM »

Jorge,

The Tom-Tom was my second choice - went with Zumo 550.  Very likely that was in part due to my familiarity with Garmin GPS on my boat & others through the years.  No MP3 on the TT (unless I missed it).  The Bluetooth is use in the cars/truck but not on the bike since its my last place in the world (almost) with no cell phone to be answered.

The main drawback to the Garmin is the maping software for the PC.  It works, but it's clunky.  Not sure about the TT software.  Looks to be a good unit.

Remember seeing a comp[arison on these 2 somewhere.  I'll look but bet d00d has it ready to post.  :2vrolijk_21:

Mike

Unfortunately I don't have any information on the Tom Tom. I went with Garmin on recommendations from those here that had used Garmin products already. Only comparison I did was between the Zumo units and the StreetPilot.

Did find these three threads where others had inquired about the Tom Tom...

Tom Tom

TOMTOM RIDER2

tomtom GPS

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »

Some specs about TomTom Rider 2nd Edition:

TomTom RIDER 2nd edition - Functionalities

DEVELOPED BY BIKERS FOR BIKERS

Biker-friendly touchscreen: designed to be easy to use, even when wearing gloves
Waterproof and rugged: like any true biker, RIDER can handle the toughest weather
Easy to mount: comes with robust universal RAM mounting hardware that fits almost any bike

High quality in-helmet voice instructions: from Cardo scala-rider® wireless Bluetooth® headset. 

...BUT ALSO WORKS IN YOUR CAR!

Adapts instantly to car use: just fit the RIDER car mounting kit with speaker on the windscreen of the car, switch on and you’re away.

USER-FRIENDLY

No nonsense: just plug it in, switch it on & RIDE
Crystal clear: realistic and intuitive visual instructions, smooth-scrolling map display, and a choice between 3D bird's-eye view and traditional 2D map-format graphics
Fast destination selection: just 7 clicks and you’re on your way (that’s less than half as many clicks as any other bike navigator!)
Intuitive interface: TomTom's award-winning software for the very best navigation experience

BEST BIKING EXPERIENCE

Complete maps of the US and Canada on SD card: for worry-free door-to-door navigation
Route choice: plan your route to suit your needs - quickest, shortest, by required arrival time, avoiding toll roads and motorways, and more
Itinerary planning: at home on your PC or overnight on the road on the RIDER itself. Program the schedule of places you're visiting and set up your entire tour before even pulling on a glove
Millions of Points of Interest: from gas stations to restaurants and LOTS more. Not so much A to B but A to Z as well.

SAFE & SECURE

On-bike drive mode: featuring just 4 large icons and essential functionalities
Secure motorcycle dock: your RIDER attaches with an audible ‘click’, so you know it’s securely in place
Tested by TÜV: who is TÜV? They test manufacturer's products for safety, quality and durability to a level far beyond Europe’s normal CE standard. Want to know more?
Check the TÜV website

Hands-free call kit: RIDER doubles as a hands-free call kit, with Bluetooth® technology so you can take calls via your touchscreen as you ride. For safety reasons, outgoing calls are blocked while the bike is moving. But when you accept an incoming call, it's automatically routed to your earpiece/pad. And to make a call, just pull over, tap the screen and talk. With your helmet and gloves still on!

SMART SERVICES & EXTRAS

TomTom HOME: unique software to help you plan and schedule journeys on your PC, manage the content of your RIDER, get map updates & software upgrades and much more
Free Buddies service: locate, invite and add friends to your RIDER. Check who's in the area when you're touring or see where friends are right now
Access to TomTom online services: TomTom RIDER comes ready for a wide range of online services and downloads, including:
Real-time weather reports*: need the waterproofs? Get a real-time overview of the weather before setting off, including 5-day forecasts for all the places you're going to be.
Voices: download funny and famous voices for a bit of variety and fun on the road.

POI's: Thousands more POI's to download.
And much, much more.

* Real-time services require a compatible Bluetooth® phone and subscription with full internet access via your mobile phone ('GPRS' subscription). All other services can be downloaded via your computer using TomTom HOME and are also accessible on the road via your mobile phone (same requirements as stated above).

Show full feature list
Technical Information
Integrated GPS receiver with 20 Channel all-in-view tracking
CPU: 380 MHz
32 MB RAM
3.5 inch, 320 x 240 TFT color LCD touchscreen
4.46 in x 3.79 in x 2.08 in, 11 ounces
Internal rechargeable Li-Ion giving approx. 5 hours
Operating temperature: 14 to 130°F
Waterproof (IPX7) - protects against any wet-weather conditions
Bluetooth® headset battery - talk time: 7 hours
Bluetooth® headset battery - standby:
1 week
Memory card (SD card) with software and maps
USB port and USB cable 2.0 for PC connection
Alternative power source: 12V motorbike battery
High quality Cardo scala-rider® wireless Bluetooth® headset for in-helmet spoken instructions
RAM Mounting kit to fit nearly all bikes
Supports leading Bluetooth®-enabled helmets

TomTom RIDER 2nd edition - In the box
1. TomTom RIDER 2nd edition device

2. Cardo scala-rider® wireless Bluetooth® headset
for wireless spoken instructions and hands-free calling

3. RAM mounting hardware
to fit most bikes

4. Pre-installed memory card (SD card)
containing map data

5. Product code card
for registration and to ensure you get your yearly TomTom updates

6. TomTom HOME CD
to plan your tours via your computer

7. USB cable

8. Home charger
that charges at home or abroad, thanks to the international adaptors provided

9. Battery cable
for on-the-road instant charging

The RealTime Weather reports is of particular interest.  If you could use your cell phone internet connectivity that some of us already have, it would allow real time weather information at no additional cost for the XM service required by the ZUMO.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »

Jorge,

Mike

We think the same in both issues.............. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:37:13 AM by jegomez »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:35:29 AM »

This was the comparison I found - the older rider model evidently to the 550:

http://www.gpsgenie.com/Comparison-Car-GPS-Motorcycle-Navigation-System-0-0.htm

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:39:17 AM »

We think the same.............. :)

Scary thought mi amigo.   :2vrolijk_21:

The Bluetooth is handy in the car - offers me hands free since my car doesn't have it built in (wife's car has it in the radio).

Cell phone rings all the time & when I ride, I am not in the mood for that interruption.  I resisted pagers (never had one) & used cell phones sparingly at first but not now.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »

This was the comparison I found - the older rider model evidently to the 550:

http://www.gpsgenie.com/Comparison-Car-GPS-Motorcycle-Navigation-System-0-0.htm

Thanks mi amigo Mike for your valuable info.  It looks like the Rider 2nd Edition has some features that the first didn't. Another pro: it comes with the SD card included!!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:42:01 AM »

The Bluetooth is handy in the car - offers me hands free since my car doesn't have it built in (wife's car has it in the radio).

Cell phone rings all the time & when I ride, I am not in the mood for that interruption.  I resisted pagers (never had one) & used cell phones sparingly at first but not now.

RIDE to LIVE and not RIDE to TALK :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 10:42:09 AM »

I don't have ability to talk Bluetooth on my bike, but I have had my phone paired to my Zumo. This will give me the ability to know if I've had a call (hint... from wife), and if I want to stop and call back asap. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »

The RealTime Weather reports is of particular interest.  If you could use your cell phone internet connectivity that some of us already have, it would allow real time weather information at no additional cost for the XM service required by the ZUMO.

Bob

Bob,
The ZUMO do not allow for realtime weather radar. Nor does the Tom Tom, from what I have read, other than what you can already see on your cell phone. The only superimposed Radar is available on the Garmin 478 with an additional monthly fee.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:45:25 AM »

Thanks mi amigo Mike for your valuable info.  It looks like the Rider 2nd Edition has some features that the first didn't. Another pro: it comes with the SD card included!!

RIDE to LIVE and not RIDE to TALK
huepfenlol2

I had some Sd cards already - I'm up to 4 now & counting.  Lots of tunes to listen to.  At first I rode without but now I like to listen & ride.

Like your quote above.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 10:48:03 AM »

I don't have ability to talk Bluetooth on my bike, but I have had my phone paired to my Zumo. This will give me the ability to know if I've had a call (hint... from wife), and if I want to stop and call back asap. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Had not considered pairing for your reason - asap.  She knows I don't check the cell as much when riding, so not sure I want her to know that's an option.   :huepfenlol2:

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

So don't say from wife sino from BOSS :huepfenjump3:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 24 queries.