Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Satellite Radio Reception  (Read 2709 times)

sazzyjim

• Meester Jim
  • 2006 SEUCEG

• CVO1: 2006 SEUCEG
Satellite Radio Reception
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »

My 2006 FLHTCUSE has the built in satellite radio, which I have activated. I love the variety of stations; however, the antenea is mounted in the fairing and often times when I turn, I temporairly lose the station. Just looking for ways to fix this problem.   :furious2:
Jim
2nd star to the right and straight on to morning!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Satellite Radio Reception
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »

My 2006 FLHTCUSE has the built in satellite radio, which I have activated. I love the variety of stations; however, the antenea is mounted in the fairing and often times when I turn, I temporairly lose the station. Just looking for ways to fix this problem.   :furious2:

One popular modification is to move the antenna outside the fairing. I tucked mine between two of the pouches mounted inside the windshield. The base is metal and there is a magnet in the antenna. THe reception improves greatly outside the fairing.

Good luck.

:indian_chief:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »

I did the same exact thing as Chuck & the reception is much, much better.  Now whre would I get an idea like that........  :nixweiss:

;D

SJ - Heat the XM antenna with a blow dryer first to loosen the tape underneath - makes it easier to peel away from its internal fairing mount.  If it comes apart - mine did - no big deal. It goes back together easily.  Stays stuck now between the windshiled bags & never even notice it's there.  I did not notch out the fairing to make a channel for the antenna wire - some do.  It's been on the dash a year now with no problems.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »

Yea, I  moved mine outside the fariing also. Put in on the little flat spot just to the right of the windshield so close to the seam that the wires don't show at all. Whatever engineer said the Sat antenna would get reception inside the fairing had his head inside the fairing, or his arse.   ;D
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 07:59:28 PM »

Yep, I plan on having mine outside the fairing too! ::) ::) ::)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 06:08:57 PM »

Yep, I plan on having mine outside the fairing too! ::) ::) ::)

Hoist! 8)
Howie, I just moved mine INSIDE the fairing and on the trip down to Daytona, had absoluted no reception problems.  Maybe it's because down South we're closer to the satalites?  :nixweiss: :) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 06:15:58 PM »

Howie, I just moved mine INSIDE the fairing and on the trip down to Daytona, had absoluted no reception problems.  Maybe it's because down South we're closer to the satalites?  :nixweiss: :) har!  spyder
Spyder,
Are you speaking of the Zumo GXM (hockey puck) receiver? If so where/how did you mount it inside the fairing?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 06:29:34 PM »

yep, that 'butt-ugly' hockey puck that I've worried over where to mount for so long.  Even ordered the special bracket (before the price reduction, I might add) and never could figure out a exposed mounting situation that I could accept.  Finally, put it on the radio, just off-center and as far forward as the fairing would allow.....glued it down in addition to the magnet just to be sure and 'wa-la' !!!  Works like a champ.  Listened to blues for thousand + happy miles so far.  Maybe the highly reflective Glare coating on my fairing has some reflective properties that make it so effective under there, I don't know????  :coolblue: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »

Kewl. Glad it worked out for you. :2vrolijk_21: But you know you were supposed to take pics of where you put it, and how you secured it for the rest of us. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »

Kewl. Glad it worked out for you. :2vrolijk_21: But you know you were supposed to take pics of where you put it, and how you secured it for the rest of us. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Next time the fairing has to come off, I will.  But in the meantime, I could 'draw' you a picture.  ::) har!  spyder

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 10:13:24 PM »

I HAVE MINE SITTING RIGHT ON TOP MY OF RADIO BEHIND THE FAIRING...  WORKS GREAT!!

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 11:52:56 PM »

does anyone have a pic of where you put it

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 03:22:52 AM »

does anyone have a pic of where you put it

I think hd-dude might. :nixweiss:  That's where he mounted mine at and I don't have any problems, either.  As a matter of fact, I get better XM reception on my bike than I do in my other vehicles. :2vrolijk_21:  Of course the size of that damn antenna might have something to do with it. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »

me too- the antennas a monster! i had a little trouble getting it inside the fairing with the hawg wired amp on top of the radio. ive never had a reception problem. i remember that antenna cost a bunch! :bananarock:

sazzyjim

• Meester Jim
  • 2006 SEUCEG

• CVO1: 2006 SEUCEG
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 09:51:47 PM »

Thank you for all the replies.  I'll be moving mine outside the fairing also  :-\
Jim
2nd star to the right and straight on to morning!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.