Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Dual Bulb Headlamp - Problems?  (Read 1696 times)

HackNDos

• Junior CVO Member
    • Weather in my neck of the woods
HD Dual Bulb Headlamp - Problems?
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:37:27 PM »

I bought one of these about a year ago.  I have liked it.  It casts a fare better amount of light then the incandescent bulb did that was in the bike stock. (2004 FLSTFi)

Along with the halogen passing lamps, the lane lights up at night.

Now my question is, has anyone else experienced problems with this lamp hooked up to there bike?

I have now gone through 4 wiring harnesses (that ship with the headlamp).  The low beam stops working.  When you buy this lamp it comes with its own wiring harness to adapt it into this headlamp.  I know the bulb is good because when I switch on the high beams the low beam light comes back on. Telling me the low beam bulb is good. (This head lamp when on high beam keeps both lamps lit.)

Thinking at one point that my passing lamps were causing to much of a draw on the wiring because they were tied into the low beam hot wire (as per the instructions that came with the passing lamps), I had the passing lamps re-wired so they were independent of the headlamp now and on a seperate circuit from the headlamp. Replaced the wiring harness and then ran on it until today.

Low beam went out yet again today. Put the high beam on and surprise, the low beam light kicked in.

So, is there anyone using part number:

67863-04A

Fits '91-later FLSTC, FLSTF, and FLSTN models. Does not fit models equipped with Chrome Headlight Nacelle Kit P/N 67907-96B.

And having any similar type of problem?  I google'd the net and didn't find any thing so thought I would post here.

Thanks
Paul
Paul

--------

You ever stop to think.... and forget to start again?

HackNDos

• Junior CVO Member
Re: HD Dual Bulb Headlamp - Problems?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »

Screw it! I went out and bought the single bulb halogen healamp that comes stock on most all of the newer Harley's these days.  No harness needed.

Problem solved.

I hope.
Paul

--------

ka7aku

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:33:53 PM »

Oh, I can help with this one.  I have the same headlight on my CVO 2008 Road King. The problem lies in the wiring harness that Harley supplies with the lamps. It has two diodes in it to allow the low beam to stay on all the time. When the high beam is switched on, the low beam is wired to stay on too.

The problem is that the diodes the supplier to Harley uses are under-rated. I know because I took my harness apart. (I design landing lights for aircraft). The diode is most likely burning up.

I solved the problem by replacing the diodes with higher current rated diodes.  Not for everyone, but it does fix the problem.

HackNDos

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:25:19 AM »

Thats a great soultion and all. I'm just not someone to tear it apart and do that sort of work myself though.

On another note, if I'm not the only person experiecing this problem and I just burned through my 4th harness, I can't imagine others aren't complaining as well and the Motor Co. isn't doing anything to correct this problem.

I'm on the single bulb now.  Maybe I will go back to the other bulb when 1 of 2 things happens.   I find someone to fix my diodes for me, or HD fixes the problem.

Thanks for the info!
Paul
Paul

--------

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:26:04 PM »

Thats a great soultion and all. I'm just not someone to tear it apart and do that sort of work myself though.

On another note, if I'm not the only person experiecing this problem and I just burned through my 4th harness, I can't imagine others aren't complaining as well and the Motor Co. isn't doing anything to correct this problem.

I'm on the single bulb now.  Maybe I will go back to the other bulb when 1 of 2 things happens.   I find someone to fix my diodes for me, or HD fixes the problem.

Thanks for the info!
Paul

You'll know if Harley changed the part by watching the part number.  If it changes to a new revision letter suffix you know they've done something.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.