Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Zumo 550 xm  (Read 3530 times)

HackNDos

• Junior CVO Member
    • Weather in my neck of the woods
Re: Zumo 550 xm
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »

Well my GXM30 came with a mount bracket.  But were exactly does it attach to the zume bracket at? Anyone have a close up photo  of this they could share?

Yeah, I don't' want the puck on my tank.

Thanks
Paul
Paul

--------

You ever stop to think.... and forget to start again?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 05:01:33 PM »

You can check this post/thread out for an aftermarket mount - ? on Zumo. I'm not aware of a mount that comes w/the antenna to mount on a motorcycle.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HackNDos

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 05:15:36 PM »

Thanks for the link. Looks like a mount made for the zumo. :)

Here's a pic of the bracket that came with my GXM30.  Almost like a screw into the dashboard mount.

Paul

--------

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »

That's called a "GXM 30 flange mount w/screws" not really sure what it's used for. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rmsubs

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEUC
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 06:07:15 PM »

OK, being a communications tech in the Navy, I can tell you that XM is line of sight. In that you have to be in direct line of the satellite to receive the signal. Hence there is no satellite over Africa where I am now so even if I had a receiver I would not get any reception. But since it transmits in the EHF frequency spectrum I can tell you that it does penetrate porous substances like fiberglass or plastic. In fact on submarines our antennas are covered with a fiberglass dome to protect the actual antenna from sea water. So putting the antenna under the fairing should not cause loss of signal unless the signal was very weak to begin with. As with any antenna the fewer things between it and the transmitter is always better, so there is a slight increase in signal strength with the antenna mounted on top of the 550. I hope this clears things up.
James Redmond
ETCS(SS/EXW), USN, RETIRED

HackNDos

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »

I  made a small bend at one end of the flange mount to give it an almost 90 degree angle and screwed into the back of my mount using one of the screws that hold the zumo mount on.  The hockey puck is now parallel with zumo and secured on nicely.  Looks clean as well. Wish they made the antenna wire in different lengths though so i didn't end up with the coil of excess wire under it though. But hey, it's better than having it magnetically mounted to the tank.

Thanks for the input.

Paul
Paul

--------

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »

OK, being a communications tech in the Navy, I can tell you that XM is line of sight. In that you have to be in direct line of the satellite to receive the signal. Hence there is no satellite over Africa where I am now so even if I had a receiver I would not get any reception. But since it transmits in the EHF frequency spectrum I can tell you that it does penetrate porous substances like fiberglass or plastic. In fact on submarines our antennas are covered with a fiberglass dome to protect the actual antenna from sea water. So putting the antenna under the fairing should not cause loss of signal unless the signal was very weak to begin with. As with any antenna the fewer things between it and the transmitter is always better, so there is a slight increase in signal strength with the antenna mounted on top of the 550. I hope this clears things up.

I'm finding some of the new XM and Sirius receivers today require less line of site requirements. For example, my new Sirius Stiletto works with the internal antenna when mounted in my garage and my garage door is open. My old Sirius Sporty would not do this. Same thing is happening with a new Garmin GPS, I can mount it on the center console and it works fine were the older unit didn't do this. Not sure how the manufactures are doing this, perhaps they are now using preamplifier's to help out weak signals.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:08:33 PM by sportygordy »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.