Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HK Radio Swap Question  (Read 1388 times)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
HK Radio Swap Question
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:19:15 PM »

Here is my question: If I replace the defective HK radio in my 2007 Ultra with a radio from a 2009 Ultra will it power up and work without any reprogramming or activation from the dealer ? Basically, are these HK radios coded for each bike ? Thanks

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
Re: HK Radio Swap Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:49:44 PM »

Should work as long as the accessories running with the radio are the same.  Rear speakers, hands free module and the likes.  That is my understanding.

Brad

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »

Should work as long as the accessories running with the radio are the same.  Rear speakers, hands free module and the likes.  That is my understanding.

Brad

Hmmm. My current radio has the Navigation and XM module attached. Will they work as designed if connected properly to the new radio ?? My guess is yes but I don't want to get any surprises after I tear my bike apart !!

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:12:12 AM »

External accessories like your Hands Free module, CB, Navi and XM are plug and play. They function over a CAN BUS system and the radio is the CAN master. As soon as you plug them in, the radio sees it and it works. What you need to be aware of with the new radio is the activation of the intercom and the rear speaker option. These, along with the country code, are really the only things that the dealer can code...and only on. Once a function is active, the dealer cannot turn it off.
Just a note about the rear speakers....they are always available. The dealer is not turning on that channel, he's merely activating the fader control

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• Taillight Solutions
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »

External accessories like your Hands Free module, CB, Navi and XM are plug and play. They function over a CAN BUS system and the radio is the CAN master. As soon as you plug them in, the radio sees it and it works. What you need to be aware of with the new radio is the activation of the intercom and the rear speaker option. These, along with the country code, are really the only things that the dealer can code...and only on. Once a function is active, the dealer cannot turn it off.
Just a note about the rear speakers....they are always available. The dealer is not turning on that channel, he's merely activating the fader control

WOW...That is a real surprise. You would think that a $1000.00 radio would be linked to the bike's VIN # to avoid / deter theft. So basically, I can take a radio out of any fully loaded Ultra and put it into my bike without any re-programming required and everything should work. However, if I obtain a radio from a Street Glide the rear speakers and intercom will not be active when installed on my Ultra ??

The MOCO should do something like GM does with their radios. Once the radio is plugged into almost any (high end) GM vehicle it pairs itself with that vehicle through the serial data bus and cannot be removed and used in another car without the dealer re-programming the radio with a scan tool through the OBD port. The only drawback to this is any dealer will reset a radio in a car for a 1 hr fee and without any questions asked to the owner about where he obtained that radio.

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »

I hear you. Every other Harman Unit currently produced is tied to the cars vin. And when I worked for Harman, every other unit had a unique set of nightmares because of that. And your right, dealer would code anything to your vin. The system was not set up as a theft deterrent, but a way that the radio options would turn on or off depending on the car. Your Harley unit is just a swap with some option coding by the dealer. Good luck with your radio install, hope it all works out

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.