Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tech Mount for a 660  (Read 2753 times)

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
Tech Mount for a 660
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »

Anyone using a Tech-mount to mount your Zumo 660 to the bars. I like the look of the chrome mount. Would like some pics if possible.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: Tech Mount for a 660
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:04:22 AM »

I'm using it on my Zumo 660 with 14 inch 1 1/4 inch Chubby bagger handle bars. It works great. Highly recommended. I'm also using the techmount shorter version for my Valentine One radar detector. Works great for that, too, right above the dash on my FLHTCUSE5. I'll try to get some pics posted.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »

I'm using it on my Zumo 660 with 14 inch 1 1/4 inch Chubby bagger handle bars. It works great. Highly recommended. I'm also using the techmount shorter version for my Valentine One radar detector. Works great for that, too, right above the dash on my FLHTCUSE5. I'll try to get some pics posted.

Did you ever get pics to post? I'm interested in the techmount for both a 660 & a V1, so I'd like to see how they look.

thanks!

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »

Here are the pics of the Techmount for my Zumo 660 and Valentine One on my '09 CVO Ultra with 14 inch Chubby bagger bars. The two devices use the same mount, for 1 1/4 inch handlebars, except the Valentine One uses the slightly shorter arm version. I have the identical setup on my 2010 CVO Ultra, so the two devices can be switched over in seconds. On the Valentine, it detaches right above the bottom plastic piece (about 1/4 inch thick) that is permanently mounted on the chrome plate. There is a telephone style power cord that you just squeeze to unplug at the unit. I have the radar detector mounted to barely clear my dash. It doesn't interfere with viewing of the road or any dash gauges. It's a nice package for my needs. If you have stock bars, Techmount also makes the same products in 1 inch diameter mounts, too.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:40:43 PM by rheiner »

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:13:30 PM »

Here are the pics of the Techmount for my Zumo 660 and Valentine One on my '09 CVO Ultra with 14 inch Chubby bagger bars.

Thanks!

Those bars give you a lot more room to add stuff!

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »

Here are the pics of the Techmount for my Zumo 660 and Valentine One on my '09 CVO Ultra with 14 inch Chubby bagger bars. The two devices use the same mount, for 1 1/4 inch handlebars, except the Valentine One uses the slightly shorter arm version. I have the identical setup on my 2010 CVO Ultra, so the two devices can be switched over in seconds. On the Valentine, it detaches right above the bottom plastic piece (about 1/4 inch thick) that is permanently mounted on the chrome plate. There is a telephone style power cord that you just squeeze to unplug at the unit. I have the radar detector mounted to barely clear my dash. It doesn't interfere with viewing of the road or any dash gauges. It's a nice package for my needs. If you have stock bars, Techmount also makes the same products in 1 inch diameter mounts, too.

Did you just  use the hardwired cradle to the techmount?

Nice set-up... as someone else said, lots of room on those bars!  lol

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 02:38:43 PM »

Just installed the techmount using the pinch bolt mount on the left side.  Remember to buy the zumo 660 mounting plate if you go this route.  If you don't the wiring harness of the zumo prevents you from using the 4 screw pattern.

I went with black vs. chrome since the zumo was black and there are many black accents on the bike. 
I wish the screws on the mount itself were black to match.
Excellent product.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 02:42:28 PM »

Just installed the techmount using the pinch bolt mount on the left side.  Remember to buy the zumo 660 mounting plate if you go this route.  If you don't the wiring harness of the zumo prevents you from using the 4 screw pattern.

I went with black vs. chrome since the zumo was black and there are many black accents on the bike. 
I wish the screws on the mount itself were black to match.
Excellent product.

Thanks. I wanted to go the quick disconnect route... but it seems they still haven't come up with a way to make it work with the 660.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 11:35:17 PM »

I have the Harley version of the Garmin and I used the Techmount system on my 2009 SERG. (I also used Techmount on my 2006 SEUC and a Garmin 2720.)
This is a shot of the 2009 with the Techmount on and the weather cover on the Harley GPS mount that comes with the GPS. It is easy to remove or install the GPS.

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 08:50:28 AM »

Thanks. I wanted to go the quick disconnect route... but it seems they still haven't come up with a way to make it work with the 660.

Official answer from powerlet... no quick disconnect planned for the 660   :(

No we do not. The 660 was totally redesigned and the raw cables for us
to use are priced over $50 and as such, we opted to not support the
model. Very complex in the wiring and as such, not popular enough to
move forward with.

Thanks,
Adam Bonislawski

Powerlet - Powersport Electric Group
www.powerlet.net

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »

Regarding a quick disconnect that would involve cutting the 660 harness, I sent an email to Garmin customer support asking them to provide a schematic showing what each of the wires did in their harness.  Their response, this information is proprietary and we will not disclose the requested information. 
How valuable  a trade secret is it to show the power, audio, and mic wires.  Pretty soon everyone will have gps on their cell phones and garmin will have much bigger worries.

Still looking for the brave soul that did this successfully   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.