Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TomTom Rider 2 - Compatible w/Cigarette Lighter Adapter  (Read 974 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
TomTom Rider 2 - Compatible w/Cigarette Lighter Adapter
« on: January 12, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »

I've purchased a new TomTom Rider 2 for use on my '01 SERG.  Included with it is a for presumably (no instructions for it that I saw) a direct connection to the motorcycle battery utilizing an end connector that fits into the mountincable g cradle (not directly to the unit itself).  I'd prefer to have it connect via my cigarette lighter.   Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with this set-up on the Rider 2?  I see in some of the forums that the mounting cradles have been problematic, but I want to be sure I am creating the proper connection first, then I can deal with whether it works or not  :-\.  By the way, I posed a question directly to TomTom a few days ago and am still awaiting their response.  I thought in the meantime, I'd post it here and see if anyone has already dealt with this.

Cheers and Happy New Year to All & to All a Good Ride,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

ad2

• Full CVO Member
Re: TomTom Rider 2 - Compatible w/Cigarette Lighter Adapter
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »

You won't have any problems with the cigarette lighter connection. I had mine hard wired on the bike, but used the lighter plug whenever I took it in the truck.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »

be carefull about how far the connector protrudes from the cigg. lighter plug. the tom tom connector could contact the tank when the fork is turned hard left.
 don't ask how i know this.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »

Thanks Ad2 and WillyMax 4 for the responses.  Ad2, how are you connecting yours to the truck via cigarette lighter?  I know my old TomTom 510 cigarette lighter adapter would probably work if connected directly to the connection inside the door on the bottom, however the door will not open when in the factory cradle and you are left with connecting via the water-proof connection.

thanks,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 02:25:25 PM »

Once I saw I would not be able to open the door using the "auto" cradle I ordered another bike cradle and used that in the truck.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:44:09 PM »

Thanks for the followup Ad2.  Still no official word back from TomTom  :-\

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.