Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: New NIM experience  (Read 5169 times)

TwoAlpha

New NIM experience
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:28:57 AM »

I installed the latest NIM today along with a few other goodies and wanted to share my (so far limited) experience. I have a 2011 CVO Ultra with XM in the HK and MP3 in the 660...and for some crazy reason decided to tear my electronics apart when the NIM was replaced. I talked my HD dealer into letting me swap the cables and while I was at it, changed a few other things. Specifically, I installed:

- My own Y-cable (HD is back-ordered)
- New NIM
- Boostero
- Rear auxillary connection on radio
- Installed HD-BOMM
- Relocated the XM antenna to on top of the XM module from its (higher) perch right under the windshield trim.

All in all, I'm a happy camper right now, though I've only tested it 10 miles so far. This was the first of these I've done and it took me longer than I had expected to get it apart, modified, and back together. Here's what I learned:

- The new NIM really does seem to do the job and has fixed the false triggering problem. It seems to interrupt when it should and give up control when it should. One weird case I've found so far is that if you've got MP3 playing but are currently listening to something else (XM on the HK, in my case) and the GPS interrupts you, just before it returns you to your XM music, it leaks a few notes from the MP3 playing on the Zumo. Usually if I'm playing MP3s on the Zumo, I'm listening to them (not something else), so this is a bit of a moot point.
- The rear aux modification is not bad if you're familiar with a soldering iron and have done the research. Though I was still waaay nervous doing the modification. The most touchy part is cutting the trace on the circuit board--be prepared with a VERY sharp knife and some optics that REALLY let you see it up close and personal. I had to get a 10X monocle it order to see it sufficiently and I still think I butchered the cut a bit--though it seems to work fine.
- The boostero really does increase the volume of your Zumo output. Originally, I installed it at the Zumo output and before the y-cable. However, in doing some basic testing, it seemed the NIM was having triggering issues. It would sometimes seem to  miss a GPS trigger entirely and other times it would hold the trigger interruption much longer than it needed to for the GPS commands. Despite this, it worked correctly about 2/3 of the time. I found that if I moved the Boostero to the leg of the Y-cable leading to the Aux port, the NIM handled interrupts MUCH better (flawlessly so far). However, you do give up some volume on the GPS voice by moving the booster to the Aux leg of the Y.
- Although I haven't used it going down the road yet, the HD-BOMM seems to work perfectly. I'm still a little worried the call recipient won't be able to hear me over my pipes, despite full-face and a good microphone. We'll see...
- I have been having XM reception issues--it just cuts out in areas where my car (or even previous CVO) never does. I've heard some people claim the metal windshield trim on some bikes (as on mine) causes issues. As a result, I relocated the XM antenna to the top of the XM module (actually slightly lower than the original mount). Testing is so far inconclusive...I already have a better antenna on order and will likely upgrade. More to come on this.

Questions:
- How do you know if you've cut too deep on the circuit board when cutting the "rear auxillary" trace? Everything seems to work fine but just curious...
- Does installation of the HD-BOMM cause the Zumo microphone volume to be lowered? It seems the volume if talking through the Zumo cell connection (using the Zumo microphone) seems to come across quieter than before installing the HD-BOMM. Admittedly, this is scenario that I'll probably never use the cell but just curious.

I'll be returning my old NIM cable to the dealer on Monday so he can submit it under warrant. More testing to come...
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
'03 Heritage with lots o' goodies
Former '07 CVO Ultra

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: New NIM experience
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:52:03 AM »

If the radio has all it's functions then you did not cut to deeply, your good.

The H-D Bomm will not lower the microphone volume, actually the output is close to the cut off point for the microphone input level. If it was much higher then the audio would be distorted. You will pick up less road noise using the H-D Bomm then you would if you used the built in microphone, in fact you can not use the built in microphone at road speed as it would be so noisy the person you are talking to would not be able to hear your voice over the road noise. With a full face helmet the only problem that you may experience is an echo. This is caused by your voice bouncing off the walls of the chin guard. If you experience this try raising your chin guard when you are speaking on the phone. This usually only happens if the inside of your chin guard is plastic, if it is foam you will not generate an echo.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »

I installed the latest NIM today along with a few other goodies and wanted to share my (so far limited) experience. I have a 2011 CVO Ultra with XM in the HK and MP3 in the 660...and for some crazy reason decided to tear my electronics apart when the NIM was replaced. I talked my HD dealer into letting me swap the cables and while I was at it, changed a few other things. Specifically, I installed:

- My own Y-cable (HD is back-ordered)
- New NIM
- Boostero
- Rear auxillary connection on radio
- Installed HD-BOMM
- Relocated the XM antenna to on top of the XM module from its (higher) perch right under the windshield trim.

All in all, I'm a happy camper right now, though I've only tested it 10 miles so far. This was the first of these I've done and it took me longer than I had expected to get it apart, modified, and back together. Here's what I learned:

- The new NIM really does seem to do the job and has fixed the false triggering problem. It seems to interrupt when it should and give up control when it should. One weird case I've found so far is that if you've got MP3 playing but are currently listening to something else (XM on the HK, in my case) and the GPS interrupts you, just before it returns you to your XM music, it leaks a few notes from the MP3 playing on the Zumo. Usually if I'm playing MP3s on the Zumo, I'm listening to them (not something else), so this is a bit of a moot point.
- The rear aux modification is not bad if you're familiar with a soldering iron and have done the research. Though I was still waaay nervous doing the modification. The most touchy part is cutting the trace on the circuit board--be prepared with a VERY sharp knife and some optics that REALLY let you see it up close and personal. I had to get a 10X monocle it order to see it sufficiently and I still think I butchered the cut a bit--though it seems to work fine.
- The boostero really does increase the volume of your Zumo output. Originally, I installed it at the Zumo output and before the y-cable. However, in doing some basic testing, it seemed the NIM was having triggering issues. It would sometimes seem to  miss a GPS trigger entirely and other times it would hold the trigger interruption much longer than it needed to for the GPS commands. Despite this, it worked correctly about 2/3 of the time. I found that if I moved the Boostero to the leg of the Y-cable leading to the Aux port, the NIM handled interrupts MUCH better (flawlessly so far). However, you do give up some volume on the GPS voice by moving the booster to the Aux leg of the Y.
- Although I haven't used it going down the road yet, the HD-BOMM seems to work perfectly. I'm still a little worried the call recipient won't be able to hear me over my pipes, despite full-face and a good microphone. We'll see...
- I have been having XM reception issues--it just cuts out in areas where my car (or even previous CVO) never does. I've heard some people claim the metal windshield trim on some bikes (as on mine) causes issues. As a result, I relocated the XM antenna to the top of the XM module (actually slightly lower than the original mount). Testing is so far inconclusive...I already have a better antenna on order and will likely upgrade. More to come on this.

Questions:
- How do you know if you've cut too deep on the circuit board when cutting the "rear auxillary" trace? Everything seems to work fine but just curious...
- Does installation of the HD-BOMM cause the Zumo microphone volume to be lowered? It seems the volume if talking through the Zumo cell connection (using the Zumo microphone) seems to come across quieter than before installing the HD-BOMM. Admittedly, this is scenario that I'll probably never use the cell but just curious.

I'll be returning my old NIM cable to the dealer on Monday so he can submit it under warrant. More testing to come...

Do you happen to remember was the new part # on the part itself? Just got a new one and the part # on the box is correct but the white tag on the part itself is the old # ..Thanks Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

TwoAlpha

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:12:58 AM »

Do you happen to remember was the new part # on the part itself? Just got a new one and the part # on the box is correct but the white tag on the part itself is the old # ..Thanks Greg

I took a picture of the old tag but cannot get to it right now. However, I recall the difference. The new part had the part number followed by "SW: A3" on the white tag, while the old one was A2.
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
Former '07 CVO Ultra

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUTG Tri Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2003 FXD Dyna Superglide
    • CVO3: 2007 Hummer H3
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:09:30 PM »

:-\  Lets see if I understand this. Here is what I have now ...2012 Tri Gluide Ultra Custom, 2 half helmet mic/speaker's, Non HD Zumo 665, H-D Bomm on order, 76000024 new in box but just checked it as a SW:A2 will have to take it back tomorrow for a A3, Radio has ST1v8.25.0 and TMS320 v8.19.0 already installed from factory, Garmin Zumo has ver 2.30 firmware , gps-2.9,DSP-2.3,mount-2.6, info for wire harness is correct colors for #31 & #19.
I will pull the radio out and put the aux connector on the rear apron cutting foil. I have been in Electronics for past 50 years, as VE3MX amateur radio operator and Airforce trained in airborne radar etc, computers from day one almost, had my own radio sales and service business and computer sales and service business, so I am not new to the electronic game, I guess I will have to sell the Garmin 665 and by a HD Zumo 660 for the bike, now question is dowing all this will I be able to listen to the HD Fm rx and hear the Zumo turns and answer the Phone without having to shut down the fm and turn on the aux ip for the phone ? its geting very complicated ... even for an old coger like me....from the Sticks in Wainfleet, Ontario

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:41:02 AM »

Yes you will have to buy a Road Tech if you are using a NIM.

The ONLY audio from the GPS that will activate a NIM is a turn prompt. In order to hear MP3 (XM if you have a 665) or a phone call your radio has to be in the Auxiliary input mode.

Jim

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:17 AM »

:-\
Thanks Jim... I figured that....now does anyone know what pins 8, 19, and 31 are for on 28A on HK radio, the schematic says N/C but the NIM module plugs into them.....thinking maybe make a vox module up for the audio out from the GPS and muting the radio audio with that and sending in audio into 28A instead of Aux I/P on front... any suggestions?

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »

The new NIM's are backordered until October 28th according to my dealer.
That begs the following question. (as Don would say it)
What NIM are you getting if you buy a 2012 SEUC, the new NIM or the old NIM?

1)  If it's the old NIM then the 2012's are being sold with a defective product.
And eventually will have to be returned to service for replacement.

Or,

2)  If the 2012 SEUC's are being sold with the new NIM then that means the new NIM is available but Harley has chosen to save them for the 2012's and let owners of the 11's and others wait until October 28th.

The above is the way I read this situation.
Correct me if I'm wrong on this issue.

:nixweiss:             :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 12:47:38 PM »

8)  Ok I guess I need to dig out the he old tools, scope to figure out the tone frequency, soldering iron and pc layout tools and design a circuit that goes ahead of the nim, put in a audio 1:1 analog isolator, take the audio from the gps strip the gps tone and scan for all audio using a vox circuit and have it generate the proprietory tone bust or continuous tone as required, or sub audio tone that they use for road turn instructions and on the the o/p of the audio isolator mix a self generated tone back into the audio going to the nim therby muting the audio from the rx and passing ALL the gps audio to the phones and speakers, that should be simple, should be about 30 dollars worth of parts maybe... this sound right Jim... ;).. Ron VE3MX :drink:

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 07:40:13 AM »

I have spent a LOT of time figuring out how the ADVANCED HK radio works and it will be just a frog’s leap more then what you are thinking. What Harley did with the HK radio is making it so that they would be the only ones to sell auxiliary equipment to plug into the HK radio (XM, CB, NIM, IPod and any future device)? They do this by incorporating proprietary signaling between the radio and the other auxiliary devices. You can make one for yourself but Harley’s lawyers would be knocking on your door if you tried to sell one to someone else because of the use of their proprietary signal. I contacted Harmon Kardon to see if I could get a copy of the schematic and they told me no way, so I reverse engineered the parts that I was interested in using my own radio. I now have another radio to use on my test bed which makes it more convenient in that I do not need to remove the radio from my bike every time I need to check something I forgot to check the last time I had it out. I am really good at removing the radio.

Harley is VERY VERY good at making money and protecting their interest to the point of being....well let’s say greedy.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:41:44 AM by bissjim »

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »

Thanks Jim...Go figures..guess I should take my funds out of Mutual and put in Harley...can't do anyworse than the 10% drop I just experienced....anyway thanks for the input, I will slowly plug away at this and see what I come up with, maybe can be done without using their proprietary tone....BTW my brother has a BMW  GTL K1800 just received it on 1st of May and they use a Garmin 660 etc that is also proprietary, but it does not go to the on board radio system, He uses the Scala Rider G4 for intercom and GPS and Phone, The Garmin functions are controlled by the BMW switches on the handle bars so you don't have to take your hands off when working the GPS, they must do that via the usb connection on the Garmin.
Interesting. Anyway thanks for the input I will keep you informed as to what I find out and come up with....Ron having fun in retirement.... :lolk:

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »

I took a picture of the old tag but cannot get to it right now. However, I recall the difference. The new part had the part number followed by "SW: A3" on the white tag, while the old one was A2.

Thanks I'll see mine Friday..

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »

That begs the following question. (as Don would say it)
What NIM are you getting if you buy a 2012 SEUC, the new NIM or the old NIM?

1)  If it's the old NIM then the 2012's are being sold with a defective product.
And eventually will have to be returned to service for replacement.

Or,

2)  If the 2012 SEUC's are being sold with the new NIM then that means the new NIM is available but Harley has chosen to save them for the 2012's and let owners of the 11's and others wait until October 28th.

The above is the way I read this situation.
Correct me if I'm wrong on this issue.

:nixweiss:             :nixweiss:

SBB

The told me they were back ordered until Oct. funny thing I found 4 of them within 150 range of Dallas...Problem solved for my '11,

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 07:26:52 PM »

Things I have figured out... for you techies
1. - connector 28 on back of radio pins 4 and 27 are Hands free mike audio input, pins 8 and 31 are Ipod audio input L & R pin 19 is shield.
2. - we can connect the stereo audio from the gps and connect it to 4 and 27
3. - take the ring or tip from gps not shure which yet and put to the input of a vox circuit
4. - have the output of the vox circuit generat the required selector information to pins 13 & 14 CAN input on Connector when audio is present from GPS
now that should do the trick just have to figure out the code to select the CAN input for pins 13 & 14
5. - use HD BOMM for transmitt audio to GPS

Ron VE3MX   ;D

TwoAlpha

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »

I installed the latest NIM today along with a few other goodies and wanted to share my (so far limited) experience. I have a 2011 CVO Ultra with XM in the HK and MP3 in the 660...and for some crazy reason decided to tear my electronics apart when the NIM was replaced. I talked my HD dealer into letting me swap the cables and while I was at it, changed a few other things...
Testing is so far inconclusive...I already have a better antenna on order and will likely upgrade. More to come on this.

Update after another 700 miles...
- New NIM seems to work flawlessly and I can listen to MP3s without false triggering it at all. I have had the Zumo hang completely once but I'm betting its completely unrelated.
- Boostaroo definitely does the trick and makes my MP3s much easier to hear (running at 70% to keep it ~same volume as the HK radio).
- HDBOMM works well for cell connection. Although my loud pipes make it less than ideal, the feature works exactly as described and I can make calls while driving down the highway!
- I had NO luck getting better (HK) XM reception by moving my "puck" around. I was still having the audio cut out regularly if there was even a hint of something blocking the southern view.
- I just installed an aftermarket xm antenna (http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Satellite-Radio-Motorcycle-Antenna/dp/B002HTRELU/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1) under the fairing and though the signal strength didn't always show full bars, the xm signal so far has had NO dropouts where it used to lose a signal regularly. I'm sure I could get a better signal if I mounted this on my handlebars but I wanted to keep it clean. I've only just begun testing this feature, so I don't yet trust my results.
- and finally at the risk of swapping topics, I installed a shorter, re-curved windshield and love it!
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
Former '07 CVO Ultra

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »

Congrats and good luck for the future.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »

SBB

Today was a good day for the 2011.5.
New fender, new tire and a

NEW NIM

Yes, they are still backordered but my dealer always goes the extra yard for me.
If your not sure of the part number for the new NIM see picture below.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:50:04 PM by SBB »

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

TwoAlpha

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »

If your not sure of the part number for the new NIM see picture below.

SBB

And if you don't have the box (like me), the white tag on the part says SW: A3 on the new part.
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
Former '07 CVO Ultra

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »

And if you don't have the box (like me), the white tag on the part says SW: A3 on the new part.

SBB

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 04:28:41 PM »

:)Well I am still awaiting to see if local dealer can get me the A3 module he reordered it, should know tomorrow, in the mean time I picked up a fairing flange kit, HD Road Tech Garmin 660,plus a few other items from Gowanda HD in NY, nice dealership larger then the local dealers up here, and very friendly....by 1 AM today had everything installed including the HD Bomm, and they all worked flawlessly, nice job Jim...did not install the NIM until I receive the correct module, not very hard to take the bat wing front off and reinstall, 3 windshield screws plus 4 other torx  screws, piece of cake..
the 90 deg plug with water sealer is kinda flaky the rubber keeps pushing the jack out, when I take it apart next to install the NIM I will also do the rear aux jack install... will keep you informed on the outcome..Ron VE3MX

UltraV

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »

I have an '11 FLTRUSE and have not touched the NIM.  I tried adding the J&M cell phone interface but apparently the way Harley set up the Zumo 660 does not allow the cell phone interface to connect so that the listener can hear me.

You said you got the HDBonn.  How does that work for you?  I've seen his website.  Can you talk on the cell phone while you ride (only in emergencies or during commercials between quarters in the NFL games)? 
A bad day on the bike is better than a good day on the golf course!

TwoAlpha

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 11:54:10 PM »

I have an '11 FLTRUSE and have not touched the NIM.  I tried adding the J&M cell phone interface but apparently the way Harley set up the Zumo 660 does not allow the cell phone interface to connect so that the listener can hear me.

You said you got the HDBonn.  How does that work for you?  I've seen his website.  Can you talk on the cell phone while you ride (only in emergencies or during commercials between quarters in the NFL games)? 
The guy who sells hdbonn is very knowledgable and helpful--send him a note with q's. In my experience, hdbonn reroutes the microphone connection (only) from your hd sound system to the zumo Bluetooth. As long as you have the HK on aux, you can place or receive calls at any time going down the road. The only issue i've had is I've got loud pipes and it does come across to whomever I'm calling. Obviously, you have to have a BT phone...the sumo sucks up your address book, etc. Works great.

Although I've got J&M headset, I'm not familiar with their cell intf. Btw, if you have the original nim and you listen to xm/music from the sumo, eventually you'll have it's input getting interpreted as gps cmds and routed thru that path...you'll need the new nim.
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
Former '07 CVO Ultra

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red AKA "Red Rider"
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »

Has anyone with the new NIM noticed if it still triggers the headset mic when driving directions are being spoken by the GPS? 

legalley

• WOO! HOO! I LOVE BEING FREE!!!

• CVO1: 2012 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: I Wish! - 2009 Pearl Black Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: I Wish! - 2008 VRSCAWA 105th Anniversary V-Rod
    • My Main Part-Time Income, Made Me A Multi-Millionaire!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 11:40:46 AM »

Questions:

What is the work around for cutting the trace too deep? Apparently, my tech cut the trace too deep because my left channel is no longer working on Aux input. A jumper has to be placed somewhere. Can someone please help?
2012 SE Street Glide - Just another $50K pissed away! (But Loving it!)

TwoAlpha

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 11:59:52 AM »

What is the work around for cutting the trace too deep? Apparently, my tech cut the trace too deep because my left channel is no longer working on Aux input. A jumper has to be placed somewhere. Can someone please help?

Wow, sorry to hear this. Somewhere in this forum I've read where you can send it in to get it repaired or have the modification done. However, I can't put my finger on it right now. I suspect Jim HDBOMM would be able to point you in the right direction (jbissonette1@comcast.net ).

I have no experience with them but I've seen several positive references to these guys ==> http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

Good luck and let us know how you fare.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:05:09 PM by TwoAlpha »
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
Former '07 CVO Ultra

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 10:39:51 PM »

:( :oops:
Well I went to the local Canadian Harley dealer today to get the reordered 76000024 and it was the same as the first one I received.
I was told the 76000024A is not available in Canada and neither is the 83537-11A its on backorder the the module by itself is 15  Dollars
more than the Kit, what a rip off on Harley parts.......Soo I guess a trip over to New York is in order to pick up the module as I could not get
a refund on the first kit....guess I have to pay twice for the module I need... :drink:   Ron

BTW I picked up a used H/K radio to experiment on via ebay....

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »

BTW    I lost my link I saw where you could simply remove a resistor instead of cutting the pc board foil, that looked good,
on the radio I just bought when you fully insert the stereo jack it opens the circuit from pin 2 to pin 10 on the jack,, I removed the
jack completely and cut pin 10 off of the back of the jack and re-soldered it to the board  with pins 1,2 and 3 only rather than cut the
trace  does the same thing.
 :)  Ron  VE3MX

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 05:33:06 AM »

Here you go.

Jim

TwoAlpha

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 07:39:53 AM »

Here you go.

Jim
Jim: tell me more. Are you saying remove inductor in yellow circle rather than cutting trace (red circle)? If so, what does it mean to remove it? Heat the solder on the pins and pull it completely from the board? This looks potentially like a much better way than scratching off traces.
'11 CVO Ultra Glide
Former '07 CVO Ultra

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »

Thanks Jim... that is the picture I was searching for...Ron VE3MX

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »

Well I'm throwing parts at this a little at a time. Just ordered the NIM which sure seems weird to have to do in order to fix a problem that should have been already corrected. Oh well, it'll give me something to do on vacation next year. Still debating on the aux fix just from a warranty concern but sounds like a good fix.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 11:06:59 PM »

Well I took the plunge today and installed the aux jack on the rear of the radio and the Nim fw:a2  on my 2012 Tri Glide
here are some pic's I took...Ron VE3MX

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 11:08:23 PM »

Picture of the GPS Power connectors..

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 11:10:33 PM »

And here is the final picture of the connectors and location of NIM and plugs....Ron VE3MX

QUADRK

• 2012 FLHTCUTG

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 11:20:49 PM »

:) :)
So far I am happy with the mods, they seem to work, I tried the drive to destination and replayed it multiple time, I did not hear any drops in the first part of the voice or hang  ons of the voice, had GPS set to Max volumes on all modes. I went out about 15 miles and selected Home as my destination, and it worked flawlessly for me, I tried the HDBOOM when I first installed it three weeks ago and it works fantasticly  Thanks Jim, if you noticed I removed the inductor rather than cut the trace or remove switch connection on back of jack. I heated up one end of it and picked it up with a dental pick, the heat from the iron was enough to unsolder both ends, very neat, also checked to  make sure there was no solder bridges on foil once the inductor was removed. It was simple for me once I deceided to work under the fairing on my 900 km 4 week old TriGlide....now to figure out the phone to work without it going thru the aux...Ron VE3MX :orange: :drink: :drink:

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 06:04:49 AM »

Instead of cutting the trace, which may get you into trouble if you cut to deep remove the component marked by the yellow circle instead of cuting the trace in the Red circle. Iron Cross Audio will repair your radio if you cut do deep while cutting the trace. Heat one end up with your soldering iron while you pull it with a pair of needle nose pliers or use a small screw driver and pry it up and away when the solder melts, or a dental stick if you happen to have one. Once one side is loose heat the other side and remove it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:07:20 AM by bissjim »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 21 queries.