Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tiregard tire pressure monitors  (Read 1632 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Tiregard tire pressure monitors
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »

:-\
Has anyone purchased one of these deals or another brand like it to keep up with tire pressures without the hassle of pulling off a saddlebag and/or crawling around trying to find that valve stem that's always anywhere but at the bottom where you could get to it.

I like to know the psi is what it should be but don't like the hassle to make sure.   :confused5:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Tiregard tire pressure monitors
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:50 AM »

:-\
Has anyone purchased one of these deals or another brand like it to keep up with tire pressures without the hassle of pulling off a saddlebag and/or crawling around trying to find that valve stem that's always anywhere but at the bottom where you could get to it.

I like to know the psi is what it should be but don't like the hassle to make sure.   :confused5:

These things have come up before.  While not a universal opinion the concensus seemed less than enthusiastic.  Problems were that they report over a range.  Thus accurate pressure at any one given time isn't their bread and butter.  My personal opinion, however, was that I don't want one because they would work just well enough for you to get used to them.  And I don't want to.

If a car has a flat it's generally not that big a deal.  You stop and fix it or stop and call road service.  If a bike has a flat while on the move it's not always a big deal.  But it certainly can be. 

There are few things we can do to prevent road hazards to tires.  But one of the things we can do is the visual and tactile inspection given to the tires at the same time a regular pressure check is done.  I don't want anything that gets me out of the habit of looking for bulges or foreign debris or rubbing my hand over the tire with some regularity.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:10 AM »

I agree, vigilance in tire inspection is key to safe riding.....I'll be back in a minute, I'm going to check the PSI in the tires and give them a good lookin' at on my bike AND my Wife's bike. That being said...I'll decline on any type of monitor that reduces my time getting up close and personal with my tires.

These things have come up before.  While not a universal opinion the concensus seemed less than enthusiastic.  Problems were that they report over a range.  Thus accurate pressure at any one given time isn't their bread and butter.  My personal opinion, however, was that I don't want one because they would work just well enough for you to get used to them.  And I don't want to.

If a car has a flat it's generally not that big a deal.  You stop and fix it or stop and call road service.  If a bike has a flat while on the move it's not always a big deal.  But it certainly can be.  

There are few things we can do to prevent road hazards to tires.  But one of the things we can do is the visual and tactile inspection given to the tires at the same time a regular pressure check is done.  I don't want anything that gets me out of the habit of looking for bulges or foreign debris or rubbing my hand over the tire with some regularity.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 01:27:07 PM »

There's another brand in another active thread today.  About $275 for the monitor and two sensors, and replacement of the batteries in the sensors costs $35 each (return to company, not user serviceable).  Accuracy is listed at +/- 3% of full scale, and full scale is 120 psi, so that sounds a lot like +/- 4 psi.  Whoop de doo doo.

Install a center stand on the bike so you can pop it on the stand whenever and wherever you want to check the air pressure, then rotate the wheel by hand until the valve is in a handy location.  Haul out your $30 hand held gauge with the +/- 1 psi accuracy, apply to the valve, and read the pressure.  As noted by 2lane, take this opportunity to inspect for foreign objects in the tire, splits/cracks, bulges, and any other abnormal conditions.  Spend your time in the saddle looking at the road and surrounding idiots, not studying a tire pressure monitor.

Jerry
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:35:27 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:34:48 AM »

Monitors are too sensitive for my liking. I have them on 2 of my cages from factory. I like to run a few extra lbs than is recommended. Not an issue until its very hot and then the monitor acts up.For my piece of mind I'll check them manually on the bike.

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:11:37 PM »

I use them on all my bikes for several reasons. 1: they give a constant read out when moving and have alert systems so that if you have a tire going down you know before it get critical. 2: While it is smart to check your tires every time you ride, how many of us really do this. You are in a hurry for some reason or another, your buddy shows up and sais lets go, what ever. 3: You can monitor pressure change as you ride and this indicates if your tires are properly inflated. While not exactly cheap its better than dumping your ride when that slow leak due to the nail you picked up 20 miles back gets critical at 70 mph on the interstate. :'(
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »

I use them on all my bikes for several reasons. 1: they give a constant read out when moving and have alert systems so that if you have a tire going down you know before it get critical. 2: While it is smart to check your tires every time you ride, how many of us really do this. You are in a hurry for some reason or another, your buddy shows up and sais lets go, what ever. 3: You can monitor pressure change as you ride and this indicates if your tires are properly inflated. While not exactly cheap its better than dumping your ride when that slow leak due to the nail you picked up 20 miles back gets critical at 70 mph on the interstate. :'(
Yeah, I think I'd like that feature.  I had two flat rears last summer and one was a slow leak that I didn't notice on a day run until it started squirming and got squirrelly (rear on the softtail).  I was glad to get it off the hwy. w/o dropping the scooter.  The other was on the SEEG (rear also) and it was so slow that I was able to ride it about a half-mile to Cox's HD  without needing assistance.  Course the tire was dogmeat by the time I got off.  In both cases it would have been nice to know the pressure was falling before feeling it in the seat of the pants.  spyder
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:18:55 PM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »

How about a link to some different models you guys are running/thinking of. Also how about a picture showing where you put the monitor?

Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »

Thought of this thread this afternoon.  Checked tires on old SERG and felt a little bump in sidewalk.  Nearly worn out tire so no great loss.  But felt it before I saw it.  Time to use Jim's old tire machine. 

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

Use this one since more than a year:

http://www.tyredog.com.au/store/2-wheel-wtpms/
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Very nice product.  Had them on my last two bikes.  Still should be smart about checking the tires.

That said, my buddy (who is anal about tires) had his TPMS indicate a leaking tire. We stopped and filled it up with the portable tire inflater several times until we got to the dealer.  Without the TPMS, the chance is good the tire would have been ruined and we would have to wait for the Wrecker.

I replace the batteries every year when the bike is inspected.  No good if the batteries are weak.

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 21 queries.