Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New to GPS.....  (Read 1878 times)

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

• CVO1: 2012 CVO RGC "Dirty Skunk"
New to GPS.....
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »

I am wanting to get a GPS unit for my new CVO RGC, but I have no clue where to start. I've never had or used GPS on anything besides what's on my phone right now. I would like to purchase through my dealer as they said anything bought from them within 90 days of purchase is covered under factory and extended warranty.

I would just like some feedback from those in the know here on what unit to get, it's use, durability, warranty, and whether to buy on my own or go through the dealer and pay a bit more to get it covered under the bikes warranty.

Thanks
FM

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: New to GPS.....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:58:12 AM »

If you want to buy at the dealer only options will be Zumo 660 or 665.  That makes your choice simple.  If you want XM (radio, weather, traffic) you want the 665.  If you don't care about XM radio through the nav unit you're good with the less expensive 660.

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »

Is there any logic in going through the dealer for warranty purposes?

I have never cared much about warranty on my previous 4 HD bikes, but on this bike it's important, because of the cost (LOL), and I also plan on having it for a long time. But if there are better quality units then I'm all ears.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »

Is there any logic in going through the dealer for warranty purposes?

I have never cared much about warranty on my previous 4 HD bikes, but on this bike it's important, because of the cost (LOL), and I also plan on having it for a long time. But if there are better quality units then I'm all ears.

"Logic" isn't a term that is nearly so absolute as it seems.  Lots of shades of gray in one's perception of "logic." 

I'd make absolutely sure the extended service agreement or warranty will cover the GPS unit as you're assuming it will.  There have already been cases where we've learned Garmin is handling warranty directly even on units that were part of new Ultras from the factory.  The extended coverage for a unit purchased after the fact isn't something to take the word of the parts counter guy on.  Get it in writing. 

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »

I had a lot of problems with my OE GPS Garmin 660 at the start software bugs firmware issues etc  but have been using it often on bike and car without too many issues it will get expensive if you want to integrate into Harman Kardon radio with adding the nim as well but if you want to use bluetooth not so bad  personally if I was having to add it after I would go another route mine has been registered with Garmin for over a year now and any time I connect to my computer it wants me to buy a new updated map that sux most GPS systems on the market now have lifetime updates free..I dont see a problem with a phone nav app and the iron aces mount looks good and with the phone adapter is secure and dont have to find somewhere to hide the gps when you leave the bike just put the phone in your pocket like you would normally do JMO

Kiwi
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:07:55 AM »

If I remember correctly the Road Tech Zumo from H-D has a two year warranty (regardless to what the bike warranty is). It is also loaded with dealership locations and has supported functions with the bike. I remember something on the Road Tech works on the bike that the Garmin version doesn't coordinate well (I can't remember what though). The Garmin Zumo comes with a one year warranty.

Garmin is considered a leader in GPS technology and is hard to beat.
Garmin also has a lifetime software upgrade ability for about $90.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:42:22 AM »

If I remember correctly the Road Tech Zumo from H-D has a two year warranty (regardless to what the bike warranty is). It is also loaded with dealership locations and has supported functions with the bike. I remember something on the Road Tech works on the bike that the Garmin version doesn't coordinate well (I can't remember what though). The Garmin Zumo comes with a one year warranty.

Garmin is considered a leader in GPS technology and is hard to beat.
Garmin also has a lifetime software upgrade ability for about $90.

The warranty info is correct.  The dealership locations can be added to the non-Harley Zumo; so not a big deal there.  The non-Harley Zumo won't work with the NIM if one goes that route for nav audio interrupts.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:50:15 AM »

The warranty info is correct.  The dealership locations can be added to the non-Harley Zumo; so not a big deal there.  The non-Harley Zumo won't work with the NIM if one goes that route for nav audio interrupts.
To add to what Twolane has mentioned above the aftermarket POI (Points of Interest) database of H-D Dealers is far more reliable and (kept) up to date than the one that comes preloaded on the MoCo (Roadtech) Zumo's. And the NIM doesn't work like you would think it would... if I'm not mistaken it still requires the audio cable be attached from the mount to the front of the radio for some functions.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:13:39 PM »

The Roadtech version of the Zumo 660/665 does come with a 2 year warranty.  You do not have to buy it through your present dealer...you can get it through one of the 20% off HD dealers, if your dealer won't match the price.  HD Roadtech was offering free lifetime map updates a while back, but I'm not sure if that's the case any longer.  If you have warranty issues with the unit, you can deal with Garmin directly, or through your dealer.  There have been some bugs with the Roadtech version, but I think they are sorted out now.  I had to send mine back to Garmin for a replacement unit, but now all is well.

There's a couple of things to consider when deciding between the Roadtech and the Zumo.  The first is the additional 1 year of warranty with the Roadtech.  The second is whether you will want the turn prompts coming through the HK radio...there are two ways to accomplish this:  First, you can add a stereo patch cable from the Zumo/Roadtech output to the Aux In port on the radio.  That will give you the audible turn prompts WHEN YOU HAVE THE RADIO SET TO THE AUX POSITION, AND ONLY THEN.  There are ways to add an Aux input to the back of the radio so you don't have the cable going into the front port, but that's another subject.  Second, you can add the HD NIM module to the HK radio, and it will give voice prompts through the HK no matter the selection...i.e. CD/FM/AM, etc.  Very important:  The NIM module will only work with the Roadtech version of the Zumo 660/665, as the firmware is different, allowing the NIM to receive a pulse from the GPS to allow the voice prompts to interrupt the HK and come through the speakers on the bike, or the headset, if you have that feature on the bike.  As mentioned, the choice between the 660/665 boils down to the 665 has it's own XM antenna that can get XM and Weather radar (both are seperate subscriptions).  If you want XM, you can get the HD module for that, and the 660 would be the choice, if you do not want the weather radar function.

My opinion is that Garmin is the way to go, whichever version you choose.  There are other good products out there, but Garmin leads the pack, IMO.

Mounting either of the units on the RG is a matter of personal preference.  I like the chrome handlebar mount that came stock on my SERGU, but there is a mount made to bolt on top of the Tach/Speedo pod.  The handlebar mount will keep all wiring inside the bars, for a cleaner look.  However, I'm used to looking down and to the left a bit to see the GPS on the bike.

The NIM route costs more and is a bit more trouble, but is more "seamless" with regards to the final result.  Plugging the stereo patch cord into the Aux port on the radio is the simple solution, if you keep in mind that you will have to put the radio selection to Aux when you want audible directions.  Most of us did it that way for years.  You can load MP3's on the Garmin unit and the tunes will play through the Aux port as well.  They will not play any other way.  You also cannot make Bluetooth calls on your cell phone without some other "dongles" added.  You can pair the phone and see that a call is incoming, but if you want to make/receive calls through your headset, other steps are necessary, and they are not HD parts, but it can be done.

I would not trade my GPS on the bike for anything...looking for street/hiway signs is just one less thing distracting my attention from driving the bike and being aware of what's around me.  The GPS tells me what to do without ever looking at it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »

Midnight Rider, thank you very much for such a detailed response. This is exactly they type of information I was looking for. As I have progress through the models of HD's I have owned the past few years, my riding styles have changed as well, I like to get out and ride. Most of the guys I ride with from another forum live 1-2 hours away minimum, some as far as 5 hours away, some as far as the next state up. Now that I have "the" bike for me, and feel I did things the right way by getting the CVO instead of dumping money into a custom, I want to continue to do things the right way, even if it means waiting a bit for some things and saving the cash to do it right the first time. I'm not sold on drilling through the pod of my gauges for a mount, and will be looking for a handlebar type mount, I haven't had GPS yet anyways, so there isn't anything "different" for me as either way of mounting is new.

I'm gonna need to sort through my handlebar and seat issue first and then will go from there. I think the seat is what's killing me, because the bars feel good just low, but the wrist angle is perfect, but the "low" bars on my old Limited never beat up my back like this, so that's why I'm thinking it's the stock solo seat. Past 150 miles "for me" the seat is a killer, found that out the hard way yesterday after an almost 500 mile day........

And for me 150 miles is a warm up to meet the guys I ride with, lol......

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 02:00:52 PM »

Midnight Rider, thank you very much for such a detailed response. This is exactly they type of information I was looking for. As I have progress through the models of HD's I have owned the past few years, my riding styles have changed as well, I like to get out and ride. Most of the guys I ride with from another forum live 1-2 hours away minimum, some as far as 5 hours away, some as far as the next state up. Now that I have "the" bike for me, and feel I did things the right way by getting the CVO instead of dumping money into a custom, I want to continue to do things the right way, even if it means waiting a bit for some things and saving the cash to do it right the first time. I'm not sold on drilling through the pod of my gauges for a mount, and will be looking for a handlebar type mount, I haven't had GPS yet anyways, so there isn't anything "different" for me as either way of mounting is new.

I'm gonna need to sort through my handlebar and seat issue first and then will go from there. I think the seat is what's killing me, because the bars feel good just low, but the wrist angle is perfect, but the "low" bars on my old Limited never beat up my back like this, so that's why I'm thinking it's the stock solo seat. Past 150 miles "for me" the seat is a killer, found that out the hard way yesterday after an almost 500 mile day........

And for me 150 miles is a warm up to meet the guys I ride with, lol......

If the seat is hurting your azz/tailbone, then it's probably strictly the seat.  If you're getting pain in the upper back or between the shoulder blades, it might be the bars.  Or a combination.  So far, I like the HD Hammock seat that came on my bike.  However, if I were replacing that seat, I would go with a Corbin.  They are not for everyone though.  I had an '06 SEUC and the seat on it (after about 3k on the bike) KILLED my tailbone.  It was like sitting on the pan.  After the intial 15 miles or so, I would have to get off the bike every 100 miles, at most.  I put the Corbin Dual Tour w/heat on that bike and could ride 500 miles with no butt complaints.  My body may complain, but my butt was just along for the ride, rather than dictating my comfort.

The great thing about a GPS is that you can go riding and get "lost", but when the time comes to head to the barn, just hit "Go Home" and it'll get you there either by the fastest route or the shortest...your choice.  If your plan is to keep this bike for some longer period of time, I personally would recommend going the NIM route with the Roadtech model of your choice.  The parts book, and the dealer, may tell you that the NIM will not work on your RG, just like they say it won't work on the SG, but it WILL work.  However, somebody has to install it that knows WTF they are doing, or can follow directions.  There are several threads on here about installing the NIM on bikes that it "won't" fit.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:11:52 PM by Midnight Rider »

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 02:45:44 PM »

To add to what Twolane has mentioned above the aftermarket POI (Points of Interest) database of H-D Dealers is far more reliable and (kept) up to date than the one that comes preloaded on the MoCo (Roadtech) Zumo's. And the NIM doesn't work like you would think it would... if I'm not mistaken it still requires the audio cable be attached from the mount to the front of the radio for some functions.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

The concept guiding the NIM is hare brained at best.  I logically assumed (logic not being the absolute that most would think it is) that the NIM carries the audio from the GPS unit.  Period.   No modem breath; that's not what it does.  Learned only recently that it only interrupts the radio's preexisting audio with the GPS nav instruction.  If you want the MP3 or any other audio function from the GPS unit you still have to ugly up the front of your dash with the aux patch cord.  That is, almost literally, what one could describe as half-assed integration of components.

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »

The concept guiding the NIM is hare brained at best.  I logically assumed (logic not being the absolute that most would think it is) that the NIM carries the audio from the GPS unit.  Period.   No modem breath; that's not what it does.  Learned only recently that it only interrupts the radio's preexisting audio with the GPS nav instruction.  If you want the MP3 or any other audio function from the GPS unit you still have to ugly up the front of your dash with the aux patch cord.  That is, almost literally, what one could describe as half-assed integration of components.

Thanks for the input. I have absolutely no want or need to have my GPS play tunes. I have an iPod, and my new bike came with a shuffle that's still in the box, lol, and the new bike also came with the iPod interface for the radio. The iPod sits inside the lid of the right saddle bag plugged in and the bike charges it while your ride and I can shuffle through the songs from the handlebar radio controls, and the radio shows me name of both the song and artist. This is probably my favorite feature of the bike thus far, lol. Aside from the 110 engine of course. I love not having to reach in a windshield pouch to grab an iPod while driving and flicking through songs.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »

Thanks for the input. I have absolutely no want or need to have my GPS play tunes. I have an iPod, and my new bike came with a shuffle that's still in the box, lol, and the new bike also came with the iPod interface for the radio. The iPod sits inside the lid of the right saddle bag plugged in and the bike charges it while your ride and I can shuffle through the songs from the handlebar radio controls, and the radio shows me name of both the song and artist. This is probably my favorite feature of the bike thus far, lol. Aside from the 110 engine of course. I love not having to reach in a windshield pouch to grab an iPod while driving and flicking through songs.

The NIM could have been better engineered, that's for sure.  It's frustrating that HD does not seem to see fit to fully integrate their audio/GPS interface so that it does everything it SHOULD do, but that's the HD way...they seem to do stuff in baby steps.

The Ipod is nice...when it works right.  You may find it frustrating from time to time because it will seem to "hang up" so that you have to scroll through the input selections and back to it in order to get it to play right.  It is what it is though, at least for now.

TTS Mastertune

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »

Went by the dealer and the service manager seemed to know next to nothing about the GPS stuff. IT's really un-nerving to have dropped $32K on a bike and when I go talk to someone about GPS they don't know anything. He basically brought out the parts catalog and flipped to the GPS section and read what was in the book to me, like I can't read for myself or something. He read the part where the book says the NIM will not work on my bike. Then said he will talk to his head mechanic tomorrow and get back to me.

I have a question for you guys, is there a CVO specific parts book? Why can't I have a catalog of parts for my bike, like matching passenger floor boards, or highway pegs, etc? And where can I check if there is a sissy bar pad that matches my stock seat?

Just frustrating when you want to go some where and spend money and people have no clue about the stuff you're asking about.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.