Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Looking at replacement bulbs, not headlight  (Read 1816 times)

ultrarider123

Looking at replacement bulbs, not headlight
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »

I've looked through some of the threads and noticed most of the discussion on headlights involves replacing the standard, halogen bulbs/headlights with LED or HID.  I just completed a project on Skunk Ryder's SERG on replacing the stock headlights (which were junk, btw) with the new, Daymaker HD LED's.  What a difference!  Pardon the pun but it's like night and day.  Rode with him most of the day this past Saturday and really liked the look.  He was pleased with being noticed better in the day and actually seeing at night.  That was the best option for his bike.  I really like the LED look but just don't want to spend $300 ($550 for the MoCo) yet on Ginger.

The thing is, I really like the light spread on my stock SESG dual bulb headlight.  I've adjusted it to my liking and the light spread is great.  However, the bulbs just don't shine bright enough for me.  I've had higher wattage bulbs on other bikes but not recently.  As I get older, my eyesight at night has deminished so more light is nice.  This post is to get some opinions on upgrading the halogen bulbs in my stock headlights.  Again, don't want to go HID or LED at this point.  Looked at PIAA, Sylvania, Phillips, GE (which makes the stock high beam bulb) but what have others here on the forum used?  What kind of performance on what was chosen?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:19:52 PM by Haird »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Looking at replacement bulbs, not headlight
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »

I've put in Piaa Ultra Whites in my '08 Ultra and it did make a fairly substantial difference.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:35:17 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:19:23 PM »

I've switched out the standard halogens to Sylvania Silver Star Ultras on the last 3 bikes I have owned including my 11 SESG. They do not make a replacement for the separate hi beam, or at least didn't when I got mine 2 years ago (one of the 1st upgrades I did). At the time I even called Sylvania to check, but "not at this time" was their response. But come to find out it wasn't necessary. The combo proves to be awesome even with my bad night vision especially for 25 bucks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:52:42 PM by rayson56 »
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:47:06 PM »

Dayne, was looking at the PIAA option and like their product.  Would have to order as nobody stocks PIAA here in the K'ville area at least what I can tell.

Rayson, glad to hear that on the Sylvania.  I looked at those and they are readily available at local retailers.  The high beam (the H9 bulb) is still SOL for them, however.  Glad to know upgrading the low beam just supplements that high beam and thanks both of y'all for the information.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »

Hay Howard, would like to help but I'm still running stock lights. But for your lights theres this laser trick thy can do on old geezers to Brighton things up ;D Just a thought, one old geezer to another :P :rolleyes3:Ha-Ha

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »

Ain't quite to the laser deal yet, Pete, but thanks for the positive reinforcement....one old fart to another.... ::) ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Actually, I like my stock lights.  They could be brighter (which is why I want to upgrade the bulbs) but the light pattern is very good for me.
I'm leaning more and more to the Sylvania option.  Not as expensive as the PIAA's and from what I can tell, easier to get replacement bulbs at most major parts retailers here in the colonies.  Hope your week has started well, by the way.  Rainy and dark today with much better tomorrow through the weekend (NO RAIN!). 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »

Your welcome for the reinforcement mate ,,,no charge,,, :2vrolijk_21:

I've been seeing all the differnet kinds of up grades on lights all look good. But I'm still happy with what I've got ;)
Dropped to -2c from +16c in one day with snow and high winds. Not a good start to the week, but the day went by smoothly

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »

Have you considered the HID option?  I've used these for years.  About as much light as LED but $80.  See here from Xenon link:  H4(9003, HB2) Hi/Lo 6000K Motorcycle HID Kit.  The 6000 is pure white and looks great.  Other than taping the ballast to your fairing, it's plug and play.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 02:59:15 PM »

Wow...$38 to ship to Canada.....and that's upfront---before it hit the border.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »

Thanks for the link, Greg.  I've looked at a couple other HID options that were plug/play type deals but price prohibitive.  I had not visited Xenonlink, however.  The link you had was for the H4 bulb but I did look at their H11 bulb options.  As my light has the H11 low and H9 high beam, the cost and complication of upgrading both might be out of my price range.  Good option, however, for the single bulb headlights.  Great price.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »

With an HID low beam, the odds are you won't ever turn the high beam on again other than to operate the garage door opener if so equipped.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »

With an HID low beam, the odds are you won't ever turn the high beam on again other than to operate the garage door opener if so equipped.

You stole my line! LOL
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »

Thanks for the comments folks.  Yep, been reviewing the HID option after the posts but just don't want to go there yet.  Got a great deal on one of the Ultra Sylvania bulbs to try (Auto Zone was running a sale...$22 for one) but while it's a whiter light, I really could not tell the difference in light output.  After picking the brain of my local parts buddy and from his suggestion, I tried Amazon.com, I'm going with the PIAA Xtreme white Plus H11 and H9 bulbs.  According to everything I've read (and comments here on this post), these are 55 and 65 watt bulbs like stock but output is closer to 110 and 120 watt respectively.  Got a great deal (both for less than $79) and next day shipping (should be at the house today).  I'll put them on when I get home this afternoon and report after riding into work again tomorrow.  At that price, I couldn't pass it up. 

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 09:26:43 AM »

hope you're not too disappointed
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

senorjeem

• Starting Out
  • Full CVO Member
  • I SURVIVED THE MAYAN END OF DAYS!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »

I'm kinda surprised with your assessment of the Sylvania's.  I thought that they were a pretty respectable upgrade for cheap.  I have used the Piaa's in the past, but I gave up on them because it seems that the filaments are more fragile and break prematurely.  Sure hope that you have a different experience.  Mine was several years ago now.

ultrarider123

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »

Well, received and installed the PIAA lights yesterday.  I was hoping to ride in this morning and give a report but my wife had a last minute business trip to Orlando and had to get her to the airport this morning instead.  Should get a chance in the morning.  I did, however, get to see the light output in my closed, dark garage and was impressed with the H9 high beam and from what I can tell with just a few minutes, the H11 low beam is a bit brighter, too.  Since the headlight didn't change, the light spread was close to stock with a few different "hot spots" I noticed on my garage wall.  No real way to tell until I ride with them....so will post results in tomorrow after ride into work. 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »

Say Howard, I took a look at those PIAA lights, I'm a little confused,..(mind you it don't take much for me now a days). On the H11 headlight bulb it says,...PIAA replacement bulbs are a fast and easy to improve your motorbikes headlights output.
Yet,.. in Notes, it says, PIAA lights are intended for use solely as AUXILIARY lighting.
PIAA motorbike lights are NOT intended to be used for headlight purposes, nor are they certified for headlight usage. What's up with that :confused5: 

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »

Pete, I'm guessing here but maybe because they state standard wattage at 55 for the H11 and 65 for the H9 but visually, it's close to 110 and 120, respectively.  Some states look at brightness levels and can ticket (but rarely do).  Motorcycles are "legal" here with the 55 low and 65 high.  We use to be able to purchase higher wattage bulbs in the local dealers but haven't seen them around here in a while (last couple years) but those are not legal for on highway use....of course, everybody still uses them on highway.

Did get a chance to ride in this morning and really like the light pattern on both of the low and high beam.  The low (H11) was a whiter light than the Sylvania bulb I tried and on my straight road "object" test, I could see some of the trees on the side and ahead of me a bit better.  The high beam is something else (H9).  Really liked that extra power.  Again, using my straight-a-way example, where I normally only see most of the way down that road, I could see all the way down that road where it drops off and turns....much better.

A couple posts mentioned life of the bulbs for the PIAA's.  I'll post if there are any problems with longevity or use.  I'm happy with the results and costs of the PIAA.  These will do until I've decided to open the wallet for the LED options and hopefully by that time, the costs will have gone down quite a bit... :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »

I see what you mean Howard, by the "Note" there covering there "arses" for those states on brightness laws.
 Over here no law, bigger brighter the better,....pause had to stop, the wife watches American Idol and Bon Jovi just played his new song live, Because of you, Jovi fan ;D. you can never have to much light to see and be seen.

So these bulbs just fit striate in to the stock headlamp? I'm assuming yours are stock

It sounds like they did the trick for ya man, good deal.

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »

Hey Pete. Yep stock twin bulb headlight.  I'm really happy with the results. Cost about $90 bucks US getting here so not too bad. As a side note, Vickie and I are headed to Vegas in April to see Bon Jovi at MGM. I'll take pictures  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.