Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Nav System  (Read 4965 times)

pjblues

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Nav System
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:43:40 PM »

Are the Nav Systems for the screaming eagle Ultra any good? I have a new 06 and am considering having one installed?

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Nav System
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 02:16:38 PM »

Here is my opinion on the Nav systems available:

Cerdo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 04:08:08 PM »

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]

I agree with the other post, the HD nav system is only a  turn indicator.
 I mounted the GPS and Radar detector the same way on my 2006 and now my 2007 SE Ultra  and have had no problems. The HD / Garmin (Quest/Conquest = Quest / Quest II) is a great piece. I can see it clear where it is mounted inside the faring. I don't like the handlebar mount!

I would suggest the Conquest or Quest II so you never have to download a map set into the unit.   If you have any questions, please E-mail.

Andy
Andy

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 10:03:38 AM »

I agree with the above 2 posts.  Why not consider a garmin with mapping AND xm capabilities. lt  will play thru your factory radio control head.  The current model also has blue tooth.  This will enable you to hear the voice prompts thru a wireless ear plug.  Personally, I find the voice prompts more usefull than the maps when riding. Garmin model 2620
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

ezrider

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 12:40:26 PM »

I favor the Garmin 2720/30 and 2820 units. The XM radio/MP3 features of the 27030 and 2820 are great. I think the best bang for the buck now is the 2730. Been using Garmin GPS units on Harleys 7 years now starting with the original Street Pilot.

Here is a good discussion on the subject: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75174&highlight=garmin

Here is a good discussion on installing Garmin GPS units on Harleys: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57448

Here is a new GPS unit designed just for motorcycles: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=61607
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:56:46 PM by ezrider »

4stars

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 02:57:23 PM »

Well, I guess I'm all alone in this, but I LIKE the nave system on the '07.  

I personally prefer the voice prompts and the simple directional arrows.  I have advanced nav systems in my other vehicles, including the new one from GM with the built in back up camera.  They are cool and I enjoy them, but I just prefer not to 'clutter' the dash of my bike with a lot of aftermarket stuff.  I like the functionality of the system and the clean look by having it built in.

Personally, I think Harley will eventually increase the size of the screen and add color NAV to the factory radio, but until then, I plan to stay with the factory system.  

ezrider

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 03:07:14 PM »

You have a lot more useful operational/functionality capabilities with some of the Garmin add-on units. Depends on what you want to do, but no matter what an add-on unit will always look like an add-on unit.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 06:54:47 PM by ezrider »

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 09:03:37 AM »

I agree with the above 2 posts.  Why not consider a garmin with mapping AND xm capabilities. lt  will play thru your factory radio control head.  The current model also has blue tooth.  This will enable you to hear the voice prompts thru a wireless ear plug.  Personally, I find the voice prompts more usefull than the maps when riding. Garmin model 2620

Sorry, the correct model numbers are Garmin 2720 or their newer 2730
Also, do not underestimate the usefullness of portability.  On trips, I take my portable unit off the bike each night, review the route and add waypoints while enjoying a beer rather than in the parking lot on the bike.  You can also use it in your car should the nead arise.
Good luck.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 11:51:56 AM »

I vote with the others.

I bought the Garmin 2820 after reading the reviews on this site and I have been completely happy with it, The XM and MP3 functions flawlessly with the stock CD player and the Bluetooth paired with my cell phone with no trouble.  Its nice (sometimes) to know you have a phone call when your riding, especially when your trying to keep in touch with a lost rider, especially if its you!).  I am using the Techmount bar mount and the 12V accessory plug.  I can't see why anyone would ever buy the HD unit.  It is also nice to have the portability to take the unit to your computer for trip planning or put it inyour car.  They give you enough parts to install it hardwired on the bike and with the 12V plug for the car, al;ong with the sandbag mount for the dash.
Highly recommend it. It also holds about 300 to 500 MP3 songs and has a good menu to sort through them.

06 Blk Crimson

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 01:06:04 PM »

question for the guys with the 07's, I have an 06 and have been toying with the idea of adding a gps unit I also like the clean look, so I was thinking about adding it to my radio

1. how do you set waypoints
2. are there rest stops/ gas station info
3. with the problems of the new radio have you had any problems

I have Nav in both cars and in our boat and love it, I use it all the time but they are easy to use.    
06 Blk Crimson charcoal Slate
Rinehart True Duals
SE Race tunner
Dyno'ed 97.0 HP 99.1 lbs of TQ
lots of Chrome lol
2002 Custom Indian Chief

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 07:46:28 PM »

[highlight]Are the Nav Systems for the screaming eagle Ultra any good?[/highlight] I have a new 06 and am considering having one installed?

NO!!!

I used a Garmin on my 04 SEEG and after using the HD nav system on my 07 one time I installed the mounts/wiring for the Garmin

I think that the HD system is fine if all you ever do is go from point A to point B.  But most of us who ride bikes like to add other stops to our route or ride different roads between points A and B.  You can't do that with the HD unit.  Plus as others have said, the map is great to have plus the Garmin stores ride history.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

gator

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 08:12:58 PM »

With the Garmin unit pluged into the radio, plug on radio face, 06 SE Ultra will the voice promps come through the speakers??? If they do will they cut in while listening to music???

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 08:20:35 AM »

With the Garmin unit pluged into the radio, plug on radio face, 06 SE Ultra will the voice promps come through the speakers??? If they do will they cut in while listening to music???

With the proper wiging it will work through the bikes speakers.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

ezrider

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 09:49:53 AM »

There is a comprehensive Harley/Garmin GPS installation and hook up thread here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57448

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 11:07:50 AM »

With the proper wiging it will work through the bikes speakers.
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.