Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MP3 Player or what do I need  (Read 5118 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
MP3 Player or what do I need
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »

:confused5:
Traded in my '09 CVO Ultra and now have a new 2014 S.Glide Special.   The Ultra had a CD player and I could load my favorite into it and play on.

The new bike does not have a CD player,  but does have a little compartment just to the right of the display.  In there,  is a connected cord to power a device like a (small) smart phone or other.

My smart phone (Samsung android) won't squeeze into that compartment.  I have absolutely no experience or knowledge about MP3 players or such things.  What (small size) device would I go to Best Buy or wherever and purchase that I could load with my favorite tunes and access via the aux. on my bike and store the thing in this compartment. :nixweiss:

Appreciate any suggestions on this. 

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: MP3 Player or what do I need
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »

you probably already have what you need.  just load up your tunes on a usb flash drive and you'll be good to go.  if you do a search, there are some threads on how to name your songs so that they are in a particular order on the flash drive.  or if you're like me, you don't really care.  just load them up, set on random and if you come across a song you don't wanna hear, just skip over it.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:57:54 PM »

Here are the stated specs on your bike.  All input devices use the USB port you are referring to.

MP3 - USB Connection
SD Card - via USB Connection
Jump Drive - via USB Connection

a jump drive is AKA a flash drive, thumb drive, stick drive, etc.
an SD card would be a small flat drive that might fit inside your phone or a USB "reader"
MP3 refers to a "player" like an I-pod or similar.

how are your tunes kept and organized now, and what size is the entire folder? once we know this I can help and so can many others.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »

:-\
Owl,  you're assuming too much as to what I have for tunes......or more correctly,  what I don't have.

I'm not an over the top song fanatic with multiple CDs, tapes, etc.  I enjoy country/jazz/blues, etc. and have no use for rap and that kinda sh**.

So even though I have a few CDs and quite a few cassette tapes of "oldies",  I have absolutely no (folder) as you put it of songs, etc.

Since the new bike has no CD drive,  I was looking to take advantage of the power cord deal and the little compartment to store some device that could play whatever I wanted to play.............Of course,  I would have to understand how to load (whatever) device this might be.........with whatever tunes I decided upon.

I'm an old retired guy that worked for the Itty Bitty Machine Co. but given that,  had no real software expertise to help me with this problem. ::)

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »

Mo, you have an Android device from your post. Are you downloading any music to your home computer?

You have many options, but to help you we need more information on how you get your music on your phone or computer as a start.
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »

:P
If I want to play some tunes via my smart phone right now,   I just pull up Pandora and it will give me a lot of my favorites.  So,  if I could stuff the phone into the compartment,  I guess that would be a solution........but it won't fit in there. :confused5:

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:33:22 AM »

Mo, in order to use that port you need a different piece of hardware.  If you have a computer I suggest an I-pod 8gb Nano (to start) or a jump drive from e-bay (or similar, Best-Buy, etc) .

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=jump+drive&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=

I do not use Pandora but I looked at it and it appears to be a listening product, then if you want to BUY the song you link to Amazon and download it to a file in a program that plays and organizes Mp3 files (songs in digital format) an example is WinAmp http://www.winamp.com/  it is free and relatively easy to use, however, there are many more and one of the guys may suggest another.  In this program you can organize songs by alpha, artist, genre (jazz,rock,country) and you can make virtual cd's called "playlists" like "Mo's Road Songs, or 50's tunes". You can add or delete from this list and rearrange the songs to your liking or just play them on "random".  After adding songs (you can add them from the cd player on your computer too) then you are ready to put them on a PORTABLE device like I have suggested above.  Once you "sync" (move the songs from I-tunes or WinAmp) to your portable device, you plug it in to the cord on the bike and you are listening to your music.  

Mo these are pretty common devices and programs so if you have a computer and there is a high school kid nearby, ask them to show you this stuff, slip him/her a twenty and you have your own neighborhood "geek".  If you lived near I would come over and help, but you can find lots of people who will help get you going.

OWL

guys if I have missed anything please chime in

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:48:27 AM by owl893 »
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:08:52 AM »

:cherry:
OK,  Thanks for the info.  I think I now have the general idea of using one of those (jump drives) as you call it.   I think we may have one around the house here somewhere.  It looked like an old fountain pen, but when you removed the cap,  the end looked just like those drives.  Have no clue as to its capacity,  but likely would hold all I need once I figure out how to load it up per your suggestions. :2vrolijk_21: or I may go out and purchase one.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »

I kept the iPod nano from my old bike when I traded. The easiest way might be to buy an iPod and use iTunes to transfer your cd's  into mp3 form and put them into the iPod. Using iTunes for this is very easy and fast.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »

:confused5:
Traded in my '09 CVO Ultra and now have a new 2014 S.Glide Special.   The Ultra had a CD player and I could load my favorite into it and play on.

The new bike does not have a CD player,  but does have a little compartment just to the right of the display.  In there,  is a connected cord to power a device like a (small) smart phone or other.

My smart phone (Samsung android) won't squeeze into that compartment.  I have absolutely no experience or knowledge about MP3 players or such things.  What (small size) device would I go to Best Buy or wherever and purchase that I could load with my favorite tunes and access via the aux. on my bike and store the thing in this compartment. :nixweiss:

Appreciate any suggestions on this. 

Not sure on Andriod but can't you just pair the phone (bluetooth) to the radio and then start the music on the Phone, select media on the radio, select your paired phone and it streams the music?  I can do that with my iPhone.   

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »

not with my droid (LG Lucid) Garret, but that is a good thought, however the bike would have to be equipped with an internal Bluetooth receiver and I didn't see that on the Street Glide Special specs.

OWL

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 04:13:39 PM »

My bad I was thinking the SGS had the same infotainment system that the Limited had. Back to iPod nano or flash drive it sounds like.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:14:49 PM by garretn »

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »

:cherry:
"Not sure on Andriod but can't you just pair the phone (bluetooth) to the radio and then start the music on the Phone, select media on the radio, select your paired phone and it streams the music?  I can do that with my iPhone.  "

:P
I have yet to go through the "Setup" procedures,  but according to my BoomBox manual,  I do indeed have the Bluetooth connection available,  so pairing as per your comment above would be an option I should be able to do also.

Thanks. :orange:

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.