Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need Help from the forum re Quest GPS  (Read 1682 times)

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
Need Help from the forum re Quest GPS
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:48:21 PM »

I have not been able to get answers from my local HD dealer, as they say they can't get answers from the factory.  Here is the issue;  I bought and had installed the Quest GPS on my '06 FLHTCUSE when I took delivery.  To make a long story short, the unit attaches to a removable cradle which attaches to the fairing mount.  I had the unit/cradle fall off the fairing mount, so I put a screw through the cradle to the fairing mount.  Then I had the unit fall off the cradle, so I used duct tape.  I called Garmin and they said they changed the design of both the cradle and the fairing mount.  Garmin sent me a new cradle, but said the fairing mount was made by HD and they didn't have it to send.  I talked to my dealer who found a service bulletin regarding a "new" fairing mount.  To date, (almost a month), they cannot get a "new" part number for the fairing mount.  Does anyone out there know anything about this or who I can address this to at HD from a customer service request.  I figure if anyone knows the answer, someone on this forum does.  Any help is appreciated, as I'm tired of having to duct tape my GPS unit on my bike...kinda ruins the look [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Need Help from the forum re Quest GPS
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 08:05:08 PM »

I have not been able to get answers from my local HD dealer, as they say they can't get answers from the factory.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 08:06:26 PM »

Fairing mount cradle spur (GPSCradleSpur.jpg)

djkak

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:41:29 PM »

Bummer.  I was thinking of getting one of the fairing mount for my Quest (if I don't get a Zumo) but I might hold off now.  I know Garmin is always good about replacing their parts but Harley may be another story.  

Cheers.
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 05:53:07 PM »

Bummer.

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 02:11:31 PM »

DJ, Thanks for your input and pics.  The issue I have is a bit different.  It looks like the mount you show in your pic is off a Road Glide?  I have not had anything break with regards to the guide pins or the locking mechanism, rather, the load plus the spring strength allows the unit to pop off the fairing mount, (unit and cradle), whenever you hit a small bump.  I was told by Garmin that the made the cradle out of a new material and made some small changes.  They sent the "new" cradle to me, so the only thing I need is a "new" fairing mount, which they said I have to get from HD.  HD shows a service bulletin for a "new" part number for the fairing mount, but is seems nobody at HD can tell us what that number is!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  This is where I sit.  I probably should just go to a handlebar mount, but thought I would hold out for the fix.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 11:35:51 AM »

They sent the "new" cradle to me, so the only thing I need is a "new" fairing mount, which they said I have to get from HD.

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 03:58:55 PM »

dj,  I don't have the service bulletin number.  Like I said, mine didn't fail like these pics, but it did fall off!  I can't believe a company like Garmin would allow such a poor design to be out there.  The few HD dealers I'ved asked about it say that the handlebar mount is the answer [smiley=nervous.gif] I would have to buy a new dash pad, (modified mine), and then figure a way to cover the holes in my inner fairing if I go with some other mount system.  I'm kinda leaning toward eventually getting the new Zumo and using a after market handlebar mount.  I have really found the GPS to be helpful, but is sure has caused me some headaches :o

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 24 queries.