Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motolights vs Daymaker  (Read 5226 times)

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
Motolights vs Daymaker
« on: January 02, 2015, 04:54:30 PM »

I am currently thinking about purchasing the motolights and installing them on my FLHTCUSE4.  Really am interested in being seen more than looking for more light, but I am curious about the Daymaker setup.  I haven't actually seen either one but since the cost is up there with both, I wanted to get some feedback on best route to take.

Thanks Guys

Jimmy

cmcarr88

• Junior CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLHRSE6 (Tribal Orange and Galatic Black)
Re: Motolights vs Daymaker
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:29:53 PM »

I'm so impressed with the Daymaker on my 14 SERK that I changed the headlight on my Crossbones to the Daymaker ..... thinking about adding the Daymaker driving lights to the king now .....
'09 CrossBones FLSTSB (103 stage IV)
'14 CVO Road King FLHRSE (117 stage IV)
‘22 Ultra Limited FLHTK (131 stage IV)

... THEY'RE never finished !!!

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:04:50 AM »

If you are looking for actual improvements in Lumens or candela and not a "toy". Try Clearwater lights and check out Ericas. 6,000 lumens per light.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 01:34:39 AM »

If like you say, that you are wanting to add lighting so that you are trying to increase being seen and not necessarily more lumens for night riding. Then I would get Motolights
http://www.motolight.com/

The main advantage is that the two lights are caliper mounted so that they move side to side and up and down with road surface. They are also farther away from the headlight so the pattern is more visible than if the two lights are mounted close to the headlight. Do an experiment and put three flashlights together in a group at night and stand in front of them at a distance, then separate them in a triangle and see if it's easier to judge their distance or size of person holding them or if they are moving in any direction.
Of course in daylight you might want to consider a headlight modulator to draw attention as well.

FXD_TG

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:08:26 AM »

Really am interested in being seen more than looking for more light,

If the goal is being seen, Motolights are the ticket...

Info on our installation: http://ridingtwoup.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/and-bam-the-motolights-arrived-today/

Beauty shots: http://ridingtwoup.wordpress.com/2014/05/15/motolights/

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 07:10:35 AM »

If you got with the Motolights, I'd recommend getting the LED bulbs. The ones I've seen are very bright. The Daymakers are already LED.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »

I am currently thinking about purchasing the motolights and installing them on my FLHTCUSE4.  Really am interested in being seen more than looking for more light

I also recommend the Motolights for visibility - they serve that purpose well. Cages definitely give you a first or second look that is noticeable with these illuminated. I converted my head lamp and running lights to Daymakers and afterwards added the caliber lighting with the Ultra Bright LED Bulbs. If you go this route, be sure to call Motolights as they will provide a CVO forum discount that you can't access on a web order. They will know exactly what is required for your bike.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:39:23 AM »

I am currently thinking about purchasing the motolights and installing them on my FLHTCUSE4.  Really am interested in being seen more than looking for more light, but I am curious about the Daymaker setup.  I haven't actually seen either one but since the cost is up there with both, I wanted to get some feedback on best route to take.

Thanks Guys

SE66

I have both the Daymakers and the Motolights on my 11.5 SEUC.
I actually had the same Motolights on my Cuse4 and did a test one day.
Had a friend go a mile ahead of me on a level road.
I had him on the phone so when I started up the bike he would know when I was leaving to catch up.
I wanted to see how long it took before he saw the lights.
Funny thing, when I cranked the bike he said he saw the Motolights but couldn't see the others.
Good enough for me, plus all the motor cops around here have them on their bike.
It's all about visibility.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »

Thanks again Guys,  Motolights seems to be the answer.  I will post some pics as soon as I get them.

Jimmy
Jimmy

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 12:21:33 PM »

Thanks again Guys,  Motolights seems to be the answer.  I will post some pics as soon as I get them.

Jimmy

If you want to be seen in traffic they are a great answer.
Just remember,

:worthless:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »

Has anyone with Motolights have problems with the bulbs not lasting since they are on the wheel fork and subject to a lot of road vibration?

I to am considering these for my CVO Road King.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »

Has anyone with Motolights have problems with the bulbs not lasting since they are on the wheel fork and subject to a lot of road vibration?

I to am considering these for my CVO Road King.
Too be honest, my cheap ass didn't want to fork out almost $700 for these. I live in Ohio where they're made and would have to pay the sales tax also. I made a set of caliper mounted driving lights out of Dyna turn signals and led inserts. With the chrome mounts I've got about $200 in them and they serve the purpose well.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 08:14:32 PM »

Thanks Guys

I'm assuming you are referring to the crash bar mounted day maker LEDs. I think either the motolights or the day makers would serve the purpose of making a light triangle. I had the motolights on my last Ultra and liked them. They were the halogen bulbs, though, rather than LEDs as I had a halogen headlight. I'm wondering how a setup with LED headlights/passing lamps with halogen motolights would look like to oncoming traffic vs. an all LED setup? I'm thinking the contrasting color temperatures might actually help frontal visibility rather than all the same bulbs?
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

FXD_TG

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »

Has anyone with Motolights have problems with the bulbs not lasting.

I've got a set on my '03 BMW R1100S that I use as my year-round daily commuter.  I've replaced the bulbs twice in 11 years and the replacement cost is covered by the Motolights warranty:

Motolight® Limited Warranty

What is Covered?
This warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship in your new Motolight auxiliary riding lights, including housings, lenses, wiring harnesses and connectors, with the exceptions stated below. In addition to this warranty, Motolight will provide replacement halogen bulbs for those burned out in the normal course of usage.  LED bulbs are warrantied for 3 years.

I've stuck with he Halogen lights; they're more than bright enough.  I've run both the 35 and 50 watt bulbs over the years; again, 35 is plenty (that's what I'm using on the Road King) and 50 is more-better but not essential.  I find the halogen seem to work better in poor weather conditions and, well, they also match the lamps in my Halogen headlights.

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.