Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nothing to do with bikes  (Read 2901 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Nothing to do with bikes
« on: July 20, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »

Sorry, has nothing to do with bikes.  Just sitting here shaking my head.  Once in awhile the doubts are unfounded.  And it's a good thing.

Earlier this morning a neighbor called.  Ambulance was going to be here in a minute and would I watch the 11 year old for awhile.  Husband had maybe had a stroke.

Some time passed and they confirmed stroke.  Apparently significant from the descriptions given.  Just now hung up the phone with the wife and she said "they fixed it."  Don't know whether it was medically or surgically but somehow found and eliminated a clot.  And just that quickly he's all but 100% again.

There's an 11 year old here who is going to be a happy camper when he wakes up after bit.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Nothing to do with bikes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 11:49:32 AM »

Don,
There is a drug that has been out for a few years that if a stroke is treated w/in a certain amount of time it will have that outcome. Good for your neighbor in recognizing something was wrong and having it treated immediately.

Now go let that 11 YO beat you at WI ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:57:07 AM »

Stuff like this should be a wake up call for all of us to appreciate every minute we have with our friends and loved ones . Thanks for the reminder!!!
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »

Don,
There is a drug that has been out for a few years that if a stroke is treated w/in a certain amount of time it will have that outcome. Good for your neighbor in recognizing something was wrong and having it treated immediately.

Now go let that 11 YO beat you at WI ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

From what the wife described in one of the calls during the AM hours this was a sudden onset thing.  Sat up in bed, groaned or yelled and fell back down.  Some of the meds are just short of miraculous if used in time.  She didn't know and I was going to bother for details a few minutes ago over how they accomplished what they did. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 12:01:32 PM »

Sorry, has nothing to do with bikes.  Just sitting here shaking my head.  Once in awhile the doubts are unfounded.  And it's a good thing.

Earlier this morning a neighbor called.  Ambulance was going to be here in a minute and would I watch the 11 year old for awhile.  Husband had maybe had a stroke.

Some time passed and they confirmed stroke.  Apparently significant from the descriptions given.  Just now hung up the phone with the wife and she said "they fixed it."  Don't know whether it was medically or surgically but somehow found and eliminated a clot.  And just that quickly he's all but 100% again.

There's an 11 year old here who is going to be a happy camper when he wakes up after bit.

My father went thru this same scenerio a few years ago.  No movement at all on one side when he went into the hospital, face "hanging", couldn't speak...  Within a few hours, he had virtually no symptoms.  Getting there fast was the key. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:08:21 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »

My father went thru this same scenerio a few years ago.  No movement at all on one side when he went into the hospital, face "hanging", couldn't speak...  Within a few hours, he had virtually no symptoms.  Getting their fast was the key. :2vrolijk_21:

That's almost exactly what was described today.  One side significantly diminished.  Speech severely impacted, facial muscles down; the whole deal.  Now apparently a little residual "tingling" in the face somewhere is all the residue of what happened.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »

Don with the world the way it is, it must be a good feeling for your neighbor to be able to make a phone call for help in watching the child. Good neighbors are hard to come by.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:19:56 PM »

Don with the world the way it is, it must be a good feeling for your neighbor to be able to make a phone call for help in watching the child. Good neighbors are hard to come by.

Neighborhood is an odd little subcommunity.  Lived here, I don't even know for sure, fifteen or sixteen years.  Still don't know the name of the people that live next door to my north.  Four houses in just over a block have bought and sold at least once in the last 12 months.  A couple are still empty.  So don't know any of them.  But within the a few square blocks of the immediate subdivision there are a few friends.  A couple of really good ones.  And you're right; it's nice to have them close by.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:33:56 PM »

You're a wonderful neighbor Don.  I hope they called you first!  The drug is tPA (tissue plasminogen activator) and must be administered directly to the clot (via angiography) within 3 hours of an ischemic event (won't help in a hemorrhagic stroke) .  Catching it early avoids infarction down stream of the clot.  One of the biggest causes of strokes is high blood pressure.  Also, if someone is having a stroke they may appear to suddenly be confused, as happened to Senator Tim Johnson during an interview in 2006.  Most have likely heard this before, but, if you suspect someone is having a stroke ask them to speak, smile, or raise their arms.  If they have trouble with any of them get them to a stroke center ASAP!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 12:38:23 PM »

You're a wonderful neighbor Don.  I hope they called you first!  The drug is tPA (tissue plasminogen activator) and must be administered directly to the clot (via angiography) within 3 hours of an ischemic event (won't help in a hemorrhagic stroke) .  Catching it early avoids infarction down stream of the clot.  One of the biggest causes of strokes is high blood pressure.  Also, if someone is having a stroke they may appear to suddenly be confused, as happened to Senator Tim Johnson during an interview in 2006.  Most have likely heard this before, but, if you suspect someone is having a stroke ask them to speak, smile, or raise their arms.  If they have trouble with any of them get them to a stroke center ASAP!

Just got off the phone with her again.  That's exactly what they did.  She was calling while he was eating :2vrolijk_21: .

Being suddenly confused is no abnormal indicator for me....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 12:55:08 PM »

I'm outta here for awhile.  Just got off the phone again.  Going to wake up an 11 year old and take him to hospital to watch a ballgame with his dad.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »

Pick a lottery ticket up for him on your way!

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »

Wow from lows to highs.  Glad for the outcome.  Life is short and precious.  Now I am going to go into my 6 year olds room and play kids games for a while and just soak it all in.

*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 04:13:57 PM »

Don, your a good friend. sounds like the happiest of out comes to an other wise disastrous situation. That's one blessed family today. May God Bless.

Howie

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 07:11:11 PM »

Gotta love the 'happy ending'.......thanks for sharing this life-event, Don.   :1112:spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.