Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: HD Dealerships That Have Closed or Are Closing  (Read 170916 times)

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: HD Dealerships That Have Closed or Are Closing
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 12:39:09 AM »

hdhog1,
  Couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately the dealer that we have here (closest anyway) is exactly what you described.  It's all about dollars and cents and as a business owner is OK,  but one shouldn't turn ones back on the people that helped build the business from scratch.

Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 07:16:33 AM »

I'd be surprised if this wasn't the last year for Walker's in Pacific Jct. Iowa.  And it's their own doing so I don't feel bad for them.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »

I suspect that the list in the first post will grow this year.  And, I suspect it will grow with those dealerships whose focus has been $ and not long term customer relationships.  Those who've provided good service and shown a care and concern for the rider/owner will survive for the most part. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »

What's the big deal about dealerships closing?  Bumpus closes every Monday through Friday at 6:00, 4:00 on Saturday, and 3:00 on Sunday.   :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 09:59:14 PM »

The days of pulling into a delership and talking to the owner/operator who has personally been riding since he was 6 are gone or are far and few between.  I have only met a few dealers who actually love bikes the way we do.  The majority unfortunately IMO are only investors.   
We're fortunate to have a number of dealers in NC that are long-time riders/HD diehard fans that either started the business of grew up in a family run business...of course, we've got the other ones that are described here also.  It'll be interesting to see how the two types compare in surviving this 'down-turn'.   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 12:04:45 AM »

It make me wonder why some dealerships are closing their doors while others are opening multiple stores like Bumpus H-D in Tennessee.   :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

hogasm

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 06:57:25 AM »

Was told Friday that 22 dealers have closed so far this year.

This was from a sales rep in the dealership.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 10:18:24 PM »

Was told Friday that 22 dealers have closed so far this year.

This was from a sales rep in the dealership.

You gotta remember, a lot of dealerships are closing satellite stores still considered dealerships to keep mother dealership alive. This doesn't mean the mother stores are all closing. I know the economy sucks, but folks the more negative we discuss it, the more negative it's gonna get.

As hard as it is,, I'm trying to keep a smile on my face and a positive attitude. Come on folks, i was always told this rubs off...  :nixweiss:

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 12:56:37 PM »

I do not feel all these closing are only due to the "Economic Slowdown".  Most of the people who own dealerships today are more than likely, only in it for the money.  I know, I know who isn't, but I mean no real love for the lifestyle.  They go from one business to another or run several at a time.  The one that dosen't show a good return on investment is cut loose.

The days of pulling into a delership and talking to the owner/operator who has personally been riding since he was 6 are gone or are far and few between.  I have only met a few dealers who actually love bikes the way we do.  The majority unfortunately IMO are only investors.  Hence the reason the huge differences in pricing practices.  It won't be long before you will need an interpreter to buy a bike.  The influx of foreign owned business has spread quite wide.

The Moco can take the blame for some as well.  You can't force a dealership to expand for a bigger more modern presence if bike sales or service is down.  The smart guy will take his marbles and go home every time.  Lets face it the motorcycle is a luxury to most.   :soapbox:   Sorry again.   

I see you're from the northeast.  If you ever pass through Central PA stop at Schaeffer's in Orwigsburg.  The owner started the dealership in 67 with his father and mother.  He still owns and runs it with his family.  If you stop in on a Wednesday night (They close at 5 so all the employees can get out and ride) he'll be glad to invite you along on on the weekly ice cream dinner ride (May through October... Damn winter!).  He'll be riding his '09 FLHTCUSE4 this year.  Last year he rode an anniversary CUSE3 for somewhere around 28000 miles as I recall.

I see from my travels that most dealers are as you described.  But there are a few left.  Not many but a few.  I'm fortunate to live here and have a dealer like this.  It's worth searching to find one if you can.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 01:01:34 PM »

I see you're from the northeast.  If you ever pass through Central PA stop at Schaeffer's in Orwigsburg.  The owner started the dealership in 67 with his father and mother.  He still owns and runs it with his family.  If you stop in on a Wednesday night (They close at 5 so all the employees can get out and ride) he'll be glad to invite you along on on the weekly ice cream dinner ride (May through October... Damn winter!).  He'll be riding his '09 FLHTCUSE4 this year.  Last year he rode an anniversary CUSE3 for somewhere around 28000 miles as I recall.

I see from my travels that most dealers are as you described.  But there are a few left.  Not many but a few.  I'm fortunate to live here and have a dealer like this.  It's worth searching to find one if you can.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr
Thanks for listing this good dealership, J-Carr.  At one time there was a 'good dealership' thread going....maybe we need to revive that thread for sharing.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »

Hey Spyder,

I did add Schaeffer's to that list when it was going a year or so ago.  But that list was for good service, or sales, or deals, etc.  Still worthwhile, but it might be worth getting a list of dealers that actually ride and participate with their customers.  Schaeffer's is one.  Smaltz's in Eagle PA was another one until Stretch died.  Don't know if there's anyone there now who's riding or not.

Ride Safe
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2009, 07:21:33 PM »

I have purchased all of my bikes from Stretch (God rest his soul), and really get along with everyone at Smaltz's, But I also really like Schaeffer's, really nice people just not close enough for me to patronize their establishment regularly
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2009, 10:12:06 PM »

I do not feel all these closing are only due to the "Economic Slowdown".  Most of the people who own dealerships today are more than likely, only in it for the money.  I know, I know who isn't, but I mean no real love for the lifestyle.  They go from one business to another or run several at a time.  The one that dosen't show a good return on investment is cut loose.

The days of pulling into a delership and talking to the owner/operator who has personally been riding since he was 6 are gone or are far and few between.  I have only met a few dealers who actually love bikes the way we do.  The majority unfortunately IMO are only investors.  Hence the reason the huge differences in pricing practices.  It won't be long before you will need an interpreter to buy a bike.  The influx of foreign owned business has spread quite wide.

The Moco can take the blame for some as well.  You can't force a dealership to expand for a bigger more modern presence if bike sales or service is down.  The smart guy will take his marbles and go home every time.  Lets face it the motorcycle is a luxury to most.   :soapbox:   Sorry again.   

Harv's in Macedon NY  &  Gowanda  in Gowanda NY are both family run dealerships that have been
around since the hardtail days.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Another Dealer Gone
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 12:55:20 AM »

Just heard on the news tonight that Auburn Harley Davidson, in Auburn California closed their doors today. They interviewed the service manager and two mechanics which stated the three would be working the next 10 days volentering their own time to complete work on customer bikes. The owners would not comment but most employees said 'due to current economic times'. A spokesman from Harley Davidson Mo Co said they will be clearing store inventory over the next few weeks.. I loved that dealership, one of my favorite stop overs for visits.. now their gone  :(

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
Re: Another Dealer Gone
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 06:16:41 AM »

Hate to see it, but unfortunately it won't be the last.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 20 queries.