Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaking gaskets (again)  (Read 1063 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Leaking gaskets (again)
« on: September 23, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »

So last weekend noticed the gaskets on the master cylinders for both the clutch and front brakes were leaking again. I guess leaking isn't the right word but instead weeping. So I replaced them again today. Does anyone have any hints to keep them from leaking? I cleaned and dried the edges really good and hopefully tightened them enough. The new gaskets aren't crushed or pushed out of the edges so I guess will see what happens.  :nixweiss:

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: Leaking gaskets (again)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 08:38:27 PM »

So last weekend noticed the gaskets on the master cylinders for both the clutch and front brakes were leaking again. I guess leaking isn't the right word but instead weeping. So I replaced them again today. Does anyone have any hints to keep them from leaking? I cleaned and dried the edges really good and hopefully tightened them enough. The new gaskets aren't crushed or pushed out of the edges so I guess will see what happens.  :nixweiss:
I know the covers distort sometimes so I've always replaced the cover as well. It's happened on several of my bikes throughout the years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »

i think it's more of an art than a science on those.  too loose and they'll leak, too tight and they'll leak.  have to be just right.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »

I believe the actual torque spec for those screws is only 10 inch-pounds.  Many leaks are created when people over-tighten the screws and thus distort the seal, but in recent years there seems to be more of an issue than there was before Harley switched master cylinder suppliers.  All I can recommend is to check the sealing surface of both the reservoir and the cover for any damage or out-of-flat condition, clean those surfaces with solvent (alcohol) to remove all traces of brake fluid, clean the seal, let the parts dry, then carefully align the seal and cover and tighten the screws evenly without over tightening.  It's worked for me in the past.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:08:46 PM »

Sounds like you off to a good start cleaning and drying all contact points. I get the cap snug then turn the screw an additional 90 degrees.

Good luck
Wut the hell was that maneuver

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »

Well, been 24 hours and the brake side is dry but the clutch side is weeping again. Thought I had it this time but guess not. Guess I'll have to get another new gasket for the clutch cause it doesn't seem right, I don't know. Making an appointment in a few weeks to have the brake and clutch fluid changed on mine and Kathy's bikes so maybe I'll just leave it till it goes in for that.  :nixweiss:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 09:29:22 AM »

Dont get any on your paint :)

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.