Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: The Crank  (Read 6026 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
The Crank
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:31:40 PM »

Considering currently on my new engine whether to have the crank Pinned or Welded

Looking for experiences on either choice and why you/builder chose methodology.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:33:55 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: The Crank
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 03:49:14 PM »

Used to be a member here I think it was shortblock charlie in arizona that was welding and truing a crank for $75.00.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »

2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »

welded.         pinned? can you give a description of what you mean by pinned. thanks.  axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »

welded.         pinned? can you give a description of what you mean by pinned. thanks.  axil

Pinned refers to a shim/pin that is used to tighten the crank so it will not "spin" (go out of alignment).  Once aligned, the pin is pushed in (wedged in) to hold the two moving parts tight.  As you can tell I don't know the proper names for the individual crank components, but I've seen a spun crank (mine!) out of the bike and know what it looks like.

Those who prefer the pin say the heat generating in welding can move the aligned crank away from its aligned position (and once that happens it's permanent - welded slightly incorrect).  Those who prefer to weld say a pinned crank can still slip.

Darkhorse is the only way to go:  http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/

Here's another great link from Darkhorse:  http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/pdfs/nospin.pdf

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:59:33 AM by PR3VS56 »

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »

thanks
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »

I sent mine out to Darkhorse Cranks (Hoban Bros.)

They definitely know what they are doing with cranks.

Had mine pro plugged and welded
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:58:37 PM by FLHTCUSE3 »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

Pinned refers to a shim/pin that is used to tighten the crank so it will not "spin" (go out of alignment).  Once aligned, the pin is pushed in (wedged in) to hold the two moving parts tight.  As you can tell I don't know the proper names for the individual crank components, but I've seen a spun crank (mine!) out of the bike and know what it looks like.

Those who prefer the pin say the heat generating in welding can move the aligned crank away from its aligned position (and once that happens it's permanent - welded slightly incorrect).  Those who prefer to weld say a pinned crank can still slip.

Darkhorse is the only way to go:  http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/

Here's another great link from Darkhorse:  http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/pdfs/nospin.pdf

You have hit the target on the head, only difference here is is pinning better than welding or welding better than pinning or 6 of one half dozen of the other.  I have heard both versions of the slipping and being welded wrong as the reasons, was just looking for anyone with personal experiences with either / and or if they had had any issues.   Only thing I had heard and have not confirmed it was if the pinning slips it can be repinned, was told once you weld it your done if you have issues.   :nixweiss:   Since I am not "racing" it, I think it should be ok.

FWIW, I ended up having mine welded and trued etc.   I did this more out I know if i dont i will be sorry (murphy's law)  I previously had an issue with my S&S crank in the prior build of the 124.   Its been problem free since the reman 2 + years ago.   Figured the 450 dollars was good insurance.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »

I am not so sure that once it is welded, it cannot be corrected or reversed.
the weld looks like it could be ground off and is very small.

Hard to believe this would be irreversible mod
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »

Talk to HD-Dude, I think I read that Jim has had them pined in the past. Of course with my memory I could be wrong!  :nixweiss:

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »

I had mine welded, trued, and balanced during the 124 build.  Jim has them welded.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 01:20:10 PM »

I had mine welded, trued, and balanced during the 124 build.  Jim has them welded.

This is were I show my lack of knowledge (sometimes)

welding , truing and  balancing are 2 different exercises but you would not weld a crank that was not trued.

So they kind of go hand in hand.

Balancing from what I understand is not just balancing the crank, it takes into consideration

the pistons and rings to balance the whole system.

Formally FLHTCUSE3

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 01:31:56 PM »

This is were I show my lack of knowledge (sometimes)

welding , truing and  balancing are 2 different exercises but you would not weld a crank that was not trued.

So they kind of go hand in hand.

Balancing from what I understand is not just balancing the crank, it takes into consideration

the pistons and rings to balance the whole system.

Agreed.  Since RevPerf was providing the Timkin conversion, pistons, etc, they balanced the motor as a unit
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

ggraham45

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 02:02:30 PM »

im having a 117 done by hillside right now and they are sending the crank to hoban brothers to have it welded,pro plugged and trued plus they recommend new connecting rods because they are the tapered rods.the bike is a serk 2008.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »

Agreed.  Since RevPerf was providing the Timkin conversion, pistons, etc, they balanced the motor as a unit

The only reason I brought this up was I have often heard the use of "balancing" without regard to pistons.

Formally FLHTCUSE3

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 04:42:45 PM »

Found, it. It was someone else, this was on Latus HD web site.

hey there, I am planning on having a large displacement 113" - 124" motor built for my 2007 FXDB. I am hoping to run about 120- 140 hp/ft-lbs range. I have been hearing though that welding my crank pin is a good idea. What are your thoughts? THX

We recommend it but has to be done by someone who knows how to do it correctly. Recommend sending the entire crankshaft assy to Hoban Bros for balancing and welding to get a bullet proof crank.

GRC
We too use Hoban to do our crank work. If the pro plug is done they will tell you that welding is not a item that is needed for the tq numbers you are running. You can have it welded if you want,... but if you every have to repair the crank you can have problems due to the pin being welded, kind of a double edged sword. We use the pro plug from hobans in the cranks and even keep some cranks on hand for exchange for the standard street builds. They have held in builds making more than that with no slippage issues thus far. We like there work and they take care to ensure the crank is set up correctly.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/works.html

Craig
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:53:01 PM by Talon »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »

Found, it. It was someone else, this was on Latus HD web site.

hey there, I am planning on having a large displacement 113" - 124" motor built for my 2007 FXDB. I am hoping to run about 120- 140 hp/ft-lbs range. I have been hearing though that welding my crank pin is a good idea. What are your thoughts? THX

We recommend it but has to be done by someone who knows how to do it correctly. Recommend sending the entire crankshaft assy to Hoban Bros for balancing and welding to get a bullet proof crank.

GRC
We too use Hoban to do our crank work. If the pro plug is done they will tell you that welding is not a item that is needed for the tq numbers you are running. You can have it welded if you want,... but if you every have to repair the crank you can have problems due to the pin being welded, kind of a double edged sword. We use the pro plug from hobans in the cranks and even keep some cranks on hand for exchange for the standard street builds. They have held in builds making more than that with no slippage issues thus far. We like there work and they take care to ensure the crank is set up correctly.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

http://www.darkhorsecrankworks.com/works.html

Craig

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 02:46:52 PM »

The more I thought about this topic, caused me to have more questions about the process and exactly what was being done.   Called Jim's directly today and spoke to Eric to find out more information on the Crank Welding that was to be done, apparently their processes were refined with the help of Hoban (Darkhorse).   So the Crank I was having welded and trued etc is actually pin welded / balanced and trued and not just welded.   

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »

As long as we are considering random thoughts; if you can shrink a bearing race with your welder in order to remove it without a puller, what happens to the interference fit between the crankpin and the flywheel when you weld the assembly?
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 21 queries.