Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noisy After Oil Change 09  (Read 7362 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Noisy After Oil Change 09
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:22:49 AM »

My 09 developed a noisy transmission after I changed the oil this weekend.

My bike has 5500 miles on it now. The bike did not make any noise when new and was still quite at the 1000 mile service. I changed all 3 holes at 1000 miles with Mobil 1 V-Twin and Royal Purple 75w-140 and the bike was as quite as a mouse. When I changed all 3 holes this week end at 5300 miles I used Mobil 1 15-50 and Royal Purple 75W-140.

Is the problem with the Mobil 1 15-50? Should I replace it and go back to the 20W-50?

I used the 15W-50 because the HD tech said it was just as good as the 20W-50, it is good for 15K miles and I would only need to change the oil filter every 5K miles as the 15W-50 is extended 15K mile oil. I'm begining to think he is wrong.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Noisy After Oil Change 09
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »

My 09 developed a noisy transmission after I changed the oil this weekend.

My bike has 5500 miles on it now. The bike did not make any noise when new and was still quite at the 1000 mile service. I changed all 3 holes at 1000 miles with Mobil 1 V-Twin and Royal Purple 75w-140 and the bike was as quite as a mouse. When I changed all 3 holes this week end at 5300 miles I used Mobil 1 15-50 and Royal Purple 75W-140.

Is the problem with the Mobil 1 15-50? Should I replace it and go back to the 20W-50?

I used the 15W-50 because the HD tech said it was just as good as the 20W-50, it is good for 15K miles and I would only need to change the oil filter every 5K miles as the 15W-50 is extended 15K mile oil. I'm begining to think he is wrong.

I used 15W50 Mobil 1 for years before they came out with the V-Twin product, and it worked fine.  It's still a 50 weight oil, the difference is the cold cranking performance is extended downward an extra 5 or 10 degrees C.  So as far as using it in the engine is concerned, I would think it should be fine.  However, for the primary and trans the motorcycle specific V-Twin has additional additives that the 15W50 doesn't have.  So perhaps the 15W50 in the primary is affecting something.  Someone else recently posted that changing primary oil from motor oil to the Formula+ from H-D quieted his '09 down, you may want to try that just to see what happens.

IMHO, I still like the idea of different lubes for the 3 different applications.  I had the SYN3 from the factory in all three holes and it sucked.  I changed out the trans right away to Redline Shockproof Heavy due to my experience with it in a previous bike, the engine to Mobil 1 V-Twin, and I've tried several things in the primary.  The Formula+ works as well or better than anything else I've tried.

Jerry

I just realized I forgot to mention that your tech's idea about running the Mobil 1 15W50 for 15,000 miles is bad advice.  That 15k claim is for a water cooled automotive engine, not a hot-as-haites air cooled V-twin.  The oil will work OK for the normal intervals of 5k miles, but I wouldn't stretch it beyond that point.  The only advantage I can think of for running the 15W50 over the V-Twin product is the price; you can find the 15W50 for several dollars less per quart, especially in the 5 quart containers in the auto section at Wally world.

Jerry
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:27:21 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:24:48 AM »

I use Amsoil.  If your going to use the Mobil One, I'd use the 20-50 for V-Twins.  I have also used the 15-50 in the past on a previous bike that burned a hole in the back piston.  Of course I doubt the oil was at fault.  But it can't hurt to use the one that is supposedly formulated for V-twins.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

ragrep

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 FLTRSE3

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »

I used the Mobil 1 Automotive 15/50 for 5000 or 6000 miles in my last bike and didn't like it - I heard more valve train noise.

I don't know how much difference it makes in reducing top end noise and overall performance but automotive oil is blended differently than Motorcycle oil- there are different additives put in each type of oil- and from what I have read, in simple terms is that automotive oil is blended for fuel economy, and to protect emission controls it  is generally lower viscosity, where motorcycle oil is blended with different additives for durability, hi rev, high temp, severe duty.

So if you are interested: I found this is from the Mobil 1 website: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Motorcycle_Oil_FAQs.aspx

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

* Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous).

API service ratings tell the details about the oil which you can find on the back of the bottle. I don't see anywhere in the owners manual where HD states the API rating required for their engines, just to use the HD oil....or if you cant find SYn3,  then use a Diesel oil- (which contains more additives to protect from viscosity break down against hi temp- hi rev/speed operation.

Here are a few more links if you want to  know more about API service ratings:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/API.html

from the Amsoil website: http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/apiserviceclassifications.htm

2009 FLTRSE3
2" Fullsac Baffles
PowerCommander PC5
Progressive 440HD shocks
KW 8" windshield

2006 TMC Springer
SE 103"B - HQ39 Cams
SE Heavy Breather

2006 Custom Bobber Hardtail
80" Super Stock Evo
SS heads, SS 561 cam, Super G carb, TD aircleaner
DynaTek DF Ignition

2008 BMW R1200GSA

2007 Suzuki DR650

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:57:22 PM »

Jim:
Bel-Ray Gear Saver 85W140 Hypoid Gear Oil will quash the noise, make shifting very smooth, and since it is red, will provide obvious evidence once a leak develops.  Lots of folks use Redline, and I'm sure it is good oil, but I've been using Bel-Ray for many years and see no reason to fix something that isn't broke.  Further........though I've never physically seen the stuff, I have seen pictures of components lubed with Redline, and it appears there is some sort of agent/ingredient/particulate that adheres itself to components.  Not too sure I'm comfortable with that.  It looks like red paint.   :nervous:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 02:12:58 PM »

Bel-Ray gear saver  :2vrolijk_21:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:00:26 PM »

Mobil 1 20-50 V Twin in the crank & primary & Bel ray 85 - 140 in the gear case.  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:18:45 PM »

Mobil 1 20-50 V Twin in the crank & primary & Bel ray 85 - 140 in the gear case.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dave, have you considered Bel-Ray Gear Saver 85W Transmission Oil for your primary?  Great stuff.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:08:28 AM »

Dave, have you considered Bel-Ray Gear Saver 85W Transmission Oil for your primary?  Great stuff.

No I havent but have used the 85-140 for a long time and have no complaints.  :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 09:07:09 AM »

So I'm reading because my 09 SERG is due the 1,000 and I'm not sure what to use. Gear box sure is noisy???

Mike

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 09:26:07 AM »

Dave, have you considered Bel-Ray Gear Saver 85W Transmission Oil for your primary?  Great stuff.
thats what I'm using, shifts like butter

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 09:46:26 AM »

thats what I'm using, shifts like butter
Larry how is the Lane Kiffin book comming along ;D :D ;DSo you like the Bel Ray better than the Redline? How about for the crank and primary?

Mike

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 11:32:16 AM »

Larry how is the Lane Kiffin book comming along ;D :D ;DSo you like the Bel Ray better than the Redline? How about for the crank and primary?

Mike
using it in all. gear saver in tranny, 85 140, V-twin syn 10 50 motor, also goes by superbike motor oil. primary is gear saver 80w. a little pricey but so is the bike. got it from a local honda shop. need to compare it to online.
runs quiet, as quiet can be.

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 21 queries.