Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Sumping, should the MoCo be looking elsewhere??  (Read 13019 times)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: Sumping, should the MoCo be looking elsewhere??
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »

24K with out issue that's awesome! The subject of this thread is on target. A few weeks ago a good friend of mine was in town and we took my 120" M8 and the BMW K1600B out for a ride. We sat side by side at 125 MPH GPS for 5 miles. If that won' make it sump nothing will. The 2017 120" M8 has the oldest oil pump ever made still in it. The only mod done to the oiling system was sealing up the piston oilers. And to give credit where due, this issue was discovered by the big brain at TTS.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=113609.0

Steve@fullsac.com

I am willing to be I ride a lot more miles a year on my bikes than you do on yours.  Yet I still bash HD for making motors that are unreliable and fail.  I have had 3 since 2012 fail.  Lifters took out two different bike motors. 

With all the failures for sumping on the 17, I traded mine for an 18 hoping the issue was fixed.  It wasn't so I still worry about my 18 with 24,000 miles on it.

So while I complain about the crappy motor, mainly because it a pain having the motor fail hundred of miles from home while on a trip.  I know from experience. 

But you do not get 24,000 miles on a year old bike by not riding it....
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »

No OOPS really! I did not see a single reference to response time, or positive outcomes in the post I responded to. Just correcting the post saying BMW's etc are essentially perfect!

Also, I suppose I could have included the very first response to the OP's post in the BMW thread. I'll include it here to show that BMW does not have a pristine record on response  either!

It's just that every time I take a break from actually riding my bike and pop in here to find threads where a member posts an actual question and two-thirds of the replies a just pounding on Moco. No wonder this forum has lost it's luster to new members. Who wants to buy their dream bike and go read how big of a POS it is! Most just go ride their bike rather than live on this site crying like babies day after day! :)

Bike to riding for me! Have fun!

The key points I see in the 2nd response is:
Sometimes the hoops that BMW makes their dealers jump through...

and
but in the end BMW has always come through...

They seem to make the dealer's take the hit to get it right and not the customer.  And they make it right.

It sounds like they stand behind their product and don't blame the customer.

:oops: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:53:52 AM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

HighOnHD

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE UV Blue/Molten Lava
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 12:24:36 PM »

The key points I see in the 2nd response is:
Sometimes the hoops that BMW makes their dealers jump through...

and
but in the end BMW has always come through...

They seem to make the dealer's take the hit to get it right and not the customer.  And they make it right.

It sounds like they stand behind their product and don't blame the customer.

:oops: :nixweiss:

I did another quick "BMW engine problems" search and go figure I found essentially the same kind of typical internet complaints by "owners" of BMW as appear here on this site. I'm not going to post all those here. Besides even if there are fewer BMW complaints online than HD complaints online what does that prove? Maybe it could simply be BMW riders as a group cry less than HD riders as a group?? :)

My point is simply this... anything with tits or tires is going to cost you! Hopefully you don't let that cost keep you from getting the most out of each and enjoy them along the way! Life's too short. Why spend it online sniveling? Everyone here has a choice! Make it and move on for god's sake.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »

BMWs first line of defense is NOT to look for a way to deny coverage!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »

My point is simply this... anything with tits or tires is going to cost you!

I've got tits.  They're not awesome but I've got 'em.  And I'm absolutely low-freaking-maintenance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2018, 01:10:06 PM »

Oh my gawd.  After that ^^ insight just had an epiphany.  A moment of revelation.  If I had tits that were awesome I'd almost never have to leave the house  ??? !

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »

When I started this Thread, I was looking for more of Technical / Design opinions and suggestions for improvements to the M8s??

Seems that the M8s with larger displacements / performance mods are more prone to sumping?? Which could be attributed to increased crankcase pressures "overpowering" the Oiling System / Breather design,,,

'Thinking that the Thread posted by Fullsac re the Piston Oilers leaking could be a contributing factor,,, 'Don't know how prevalent that issue is?? If it is prevalent, that could be an easy fix...

One ore thing,,, are any M8 owners noticing any pressure buildup when they pull the dipstick soon after shutting the Bike down (sumping or not)??

Wasn't really interested in Harley vs BMW, or anybody else for that matter :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »

Oh my gawd.  After that ^^ insight just had an epiphany.  A moment of revelation.  If I had tits that were awesome I'd almost never have to leave the house  ??? !
Except to claim our bazillions!!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 05:05:58 PM »

Except to claim our bazillions!!!!

No, not bazillions; BRAzillions!!   :huepfenlol2:

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »

We'll be able to afford new replacement Harleys to ride after each one sumps....we can have a semi-load of Harleys follow us and just toss the sumped bikes in the ditch!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2018, 06:29:13 PM »

We'll be able to afford new replacement Harleys to ride after each one sumps....we can have a semi-load of Harleys follow us and just toss the sumped bikes in the ditch!

That would be so awesome.  Then someday a forensic moderator pathologist could follow along our path and carbon date the throw aways to learn all about human society during the time we rode.  History can record it as the era of the sump.  I'm all tingly and excited.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »

My local dealer does not admit that they have even heard of sumping......and I know of two bikes in the shop now for that very issue.

T-Roy

• Elite CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road King - Traded In
    • CVO2: 2019 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »

My local dealer does not admit that they have even heard of sumping......and I know of two bikes in the shop now for that very issue.

That right there is one of the BIG REASONS I will be trading 2 of my 3 Harleys in on a new 2019 Indian Chieftain Elite or Limited in several months. Was going to get another Harley CVO but every dealer I go to including their service departments when asked about any sumping issues with the 117 engines look at me like I have 3 heads!!!!!

The very first Indian Dealer I visited, I asked about issues with their 116 Big Bore Kit. I was told yep they have some connecting rod issues and have stopped sale to correct the issue. Since then Indian has beefed them up with the help of Carillo which has built the rods for them. Indian has the kits back available and has recalled all previous ones sold whether they were tuned aftermarket with aftermarket exhaust or not!!!! They even included a 500 mile break in oil change for some!!!

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2018, 12:48:44 PM »

how many trouble free miles do you have now  :nixweiss:... following closely
12k so far. 2 up, 1 up. Long trips, short. High altitude, high speed (110 mph), no issues.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

mark

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2018, 09:59:43 AM »

That right there is one of the BIG REASONS I will be trading 2 of my 3 Harleys in on a new 2019 Indian Chieftain Elite or Limited in several months. Was going to get another Harley CVO but every dealer I go to including their service departments when asked about any sumping issues with the 117 engines look at me like I have 3 heads!!!!!

The very first Indian Dealer I visited, I asked about issues with their 116 Big Bore Kit. I was told yep they have some connecting rod issues and have stopped sale to correct the issue. Since then Indian has beefed them up with the help of Carillo which has built the rods for them. Indian has the kits back available and has recalled all previous ones sold whether they were tuned aftermarket with aftermarket exhaust or not!!!! They even included a 500 mile break in oil change for some!!!
Not sure if you're interested in buying outside your area, but the IM dealer in Savannah offers a lifetime powertrain warranty on every new bike (at no cost) and the warranty work can be performed by IM or an independent shop.  You also should be able to dicker on the price.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 24 queries.