Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handle Bar wobbling, is there is a recall?  (Read 1371 times)

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • Pharaoh Bikers
Handle Bar wobbling, is there is a recall?
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:00:39 AM »

During my last trip, I had a problem with the handle bar or the front tire. Really I don't know what was the problem. As we approached Villach in Austria, I noticed this wobbling in the handle bar. next day I took to harley dealer which was in the bike show. We nearly investigated everything in the front part of the bike. The only thing was remaining was to change the front tire. At that time, I have only used it for 7K, does it actually need to be changed ? Did anybody face the same problem?

I remember 1 year ago, one of my fellow rider had the same problem in his CVO RG & there was a recall on the front tire   

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
Re: Handle Bar wobbling, is there is a recall?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »

There was a recall on the 407's in 09,  I think!   Some tires have had a problem with cupping, which on the extreme might make a vibration or wobble.  My original set of tires started to cup at about 7k and then wear was quick and I changed them at 8k.

At 9k the front end started to wobble, with newer tires,  I thought that the tire was bad.  The wobble was worse on deceleration or light front brake.  Scared me a couple of times, so I took it to dealer.  Found out that the triple tree was totally dry??????  (there are lots of discussions about this issue).  Tightened the nut and filled it with grease and that took care of it.    If I had not been pushy about the issue,  I would have never known about the "no lube" deal.  It is my understanding that they leave the factory dry.

Might want to check it out.  If you can't find any grease around the top or bottom,  it probably has not been done.   

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• Pharaoh Bikers
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:43:34 AM »

There was a recall on the 407's in 09,  I think!   Some tires have had a problem with cupping, which on the extreme might make a vibration or wobble.  My original set of tires started to cup at about 7k and then wear was quick and I changed them at 8k.

At 9k the front end started to wobble, with newer tires,  I thought that the tire was bad.  The wobble was worse on deceleration or light front brake.  Scared me a couple of times, so I took it to dealer.  Found out that the triple tree was totally dry??????  (there are lots of discussions about this issue).  Tightened the nut and filled it with grease and that took care of it.    If I had not been pushy about the issue,  I would have never known about the "no lube" deal.  It is my understanding that they leave the factory dry.

Might want to check it out.  If you can't find any grease around the top or bottom,  it probably has not been done.   

I am still waiting for the bike to arrive from Europe, but I have checked it at the dealer there. Spent 500 Euros for 6 hours checking different aspect of the front part of the bike with nothing remaining except changing the front tire. I will wait untill I receive the bike & will check it here at the dealer 

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »

The front bearing is supposed to be checked by HD at the 1000 service, and re tightened if necessary.

Tire balance could also be an issue, mine wobbled and turns out that it was the a bearing adjustment.

hadye

• Pharaoh Rider
  • Senior CVO Member

• Pharaoh Bikers
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 03:59:56 AM »

The front bearing is supposed to be checked by HD at the 1000 service, and re tightened if necessary.

Tire balance could also be an issue, mine wobbled and turns out that it was the a bearing adjustment.

All this I did it with the dealer in Austria, spend 6 hours looking at the whole front end, the only thing we didn't do was changing the tires

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 25 queries.