Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Ohio Speeding Ticket Law  (Read 3081 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

New Ohio Speeding Ticket Law
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:00:59 PM »

An Ohio Supreme Court has decided that if an officer is well trained enough in the estimation of a driver's speed, they can write you a ticket for speeding. According to MSNBC, the court ruled in favor 5-1.

The court issued a statement saying, "a police officer's unaided visual estimation of a vehicle's speed is sufficient." Is this fair?

The ruling came after a case where an officer stopped a driver who was allegedly going 81 miles per hour in a 60 mile per hour zone. The judge of the case dismissed the police officer's case because he did not have a radar certification.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
Re: New Ohio Speeding Ticket Law
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »

That's great...now we can get pulled because a cop thinks that it looks like you are speeding. 
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »

Not a good thing to start letting patrolmen be the judge and jury also !

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 04:50:29 PM »

I'd like to read that "decision", got a link to it?

I'm sure we've all seen vehicles that were styled in such a way that they looked fast sitting in the driveway.  Now, if this story is true and the decision actually survives the beating it's going to take in the media and in Federal courts, we might see people getting tickets for speeding while their car is f'n parked.  And I would love to see how they plan to deal with the distinctions in most states that apply bigger penalties for certain milestones such as 10 over the limit, 20 over the limit, and "hang on to your azz you're going to jail" over the limit.  I don't know about a "highly trained officer", but I can't watch folks drive by and estimate their speeds to the nearest 1 mph.

Oh, btw, don't even think about buying a Hayabusa if this stuff is true.  Once the cops figure out they'll do 180 mph plus, it will be instant ticket time every time you fire it up.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 06:20:42 PM »

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »

I'm trained and qualified to state unequivocally that twolanerider is speeding whenever his engine is running.  Ditto 103, SBB, et al.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »

and they were all worried about the Arizona Law and profiling,

This is the ultimate in profiling.........

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »

I'm trained and qualified to state unequivocally that twolanerider is speeding whenever his engine is running.  Ditto 103, SBB, et al.

It's true.  Jerry don't lie.  Red bike looks so damn good it does look like it's speeding even when it's sitting still :apple: !

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »

Thanks for the link Twolane.  After sorting through all the legalese, and trying to read between the lines, it appears that we have a case of an officer running radar and pulling an alleged violator clocked at 82 mph in a 60 mph zone.  Being a nice fellow, he wrote the ticket for 79 mph to stay below the 20 mph over the limit threshold, whereupon the alleged violator can no longer just pay a fine but must also appear in court (meaning the officer must appear as well).  So far, nothing terribly abnormal.  But for whatever reason, the alleged violator decides to go to court anyway and fight the ticket.

Now we get to trial, and the alleged violator's attorney attempts the old "let me see your certification to operate that particular radar" defense strategy (I wonder if he also asked to see certification of calibration?).  Oh crap, the officer didn't bring his certificate with him, and I get the impression this is where the visual speed calculation came into play.  Throw out the radar, then we'll just say we verified the speed visually.  Somehow, though, the 82 mph radar reading becomes 70 mph "visually", even though the ticket was written for 79 mph.  Talk about measurement error and a huge tolerance.  That's right up there with Harley's crank runout tolerance.

If someone is properly trained in visual speed estimation, and they have known distances over which they can time an object, I can see being able to say someone was grossly exceeding the limit.  But if you're running radar, what are the odds that you are sitting there running mental calculations (in heavy traffic) on various vehicles?  Isn't that why we have radar, so the officer doesn't have to calculate that stuff?  The whole thing smells funny to me.  And the idea that the state Supreme Court had nothing better to do than hear this BS should give us an idea of how much waste there is in the Judicial branch of government.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:48:32 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »

Two things, man if twolanerider drives like he responds, he is fast.  Number two, I once went to court to fight a speeding ticket by a motorcycle cop in a school zone, as a matter of fact two tickets, one on the way to work and one on the way home.  When questioned on how he judged my speed the officer said well your honor, if you go out in the lot and look at his car it looks as if it is going 50 just sitting there.  Both cases thrown out and officer reprimanded.

This was in 1966 car a 1966 Fairlane GT with a 427 4 speed and no I honestly was not speeding at that time and place.

By the way, Dayton Ohio.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

mrdinny

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2010FLHXSE
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 09:07:02 AM »

Ohio was late getting onboard this. NY,NH,VT,SC,FLA,GA just a few I know do this.

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 07:41:01 AM »

This is crazy and drifting towards a police state.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 25 queries.