Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Squeal/squeak  (Read 8695 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Squeal/squeak
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:22:06 PM »

My bike has developed a squeal/squeak. I noticed it in October while I was in Daytona. It is definitely worse when the bike is cold. It sounds like it is coming from the primary area. A bud's Softail has the same noise as mine. At first I thought it may have been the sleeve that goes on the transmission main shaft. Since I just installed the Bakers DD6 this sleeve was changed. No difference. I considered the rotor spinning on the crank main shaft, again I just had it off and I tightened it back up with the new compensating sprocket. The sound is there when you wind up the RPM's a little and let off of it. The bike has to be under load as it WILL NOT do it on the stand so I can try and find it! As the bike gets warmer the sound is not as loud or as frequent. I'm not dismissing that it is not either the rotor or the sleeve. What do you all think?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
Re: Squeal/squeak
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:57:58 AM »

My bike has developed a squeal/squeak. I noticed it in October while I was in Daytona. It is definitely worse when the bike is cold. It sounds like it is coming from the primary area. A bud's Softail has the same noise as mine. At first I thought it may have been the sleeve that goes on the transmission main shaft. Since I just installed the Bakers DD6 this sleeve was changed. No difference. I considered the rotor spinning on the crank main shaft, again I just had it off and I tightened it back up with the new compensating sprocket. The sound is there when you wind up the RPM's a little and let off of it. The bike has to be under load as it WILL NOT do it on the stand so I can try and find it! As the bike gets warmer the sound is not as loud or as frequent. I'm not dismissing that it is not either the rotor or the sleeve. What do you all think?

try spraying a little wd-40 on the spring for your kickstand.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 10:08:23 AM »

I wish it were that simple. It is not quite that kind of squeak/squeal. Since it is load/torque related and the only thing I didn't change with the DD6 is the clutch assembly, I'm thinking something in there.
2023 CVO Road Glide

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 10:25:08 AM »

I wish it were that simple. It is not quite that kind of squeak/squeal. Since it is load/torque related and the only thing I didn't change with the DD6 is the clutch assembly, I'm thinking something in there.

you have nothing to lose by trying it.
i am pretty good at finding squeeks.
sometimes it's alot simpler than you think.
you said it doesn't happen when the bike is on the sidestand right?
it is mounted under the primary.
anyway, good luck in your search.

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 11:20:15 AM »

sometimes it's alot simpler than you think.
Kng...you are right about that.  I once took mine to an Indy because I had searched high and low for the cause of a noise that I would have sworn was in the primary case...only happened under load too...he went right to the noise...one of the left floorboard mounting boards was loose.  He wouldn't take any payment, so I tipped him $20 and went on my way...and man was I relieved it wasn't something serious.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 11:39:28 AM »

kng103 I'll spray the kickstand spring as you mentioned. It's simple and if it works, great.

I can't get the bike to make the sound while on the table lift I have. The wheel has to be off of the table thus there is no load on the drive train. The noise won't duplicate itself in neutral sitting on the side stand either. Again the drive train has to be under load.

On that note I've been chasing my low speed wobble and in doing so I greased the neck bearings and since then I haven't had a single squeal/squeak. Coincidence, has to be. I'll head out this afternoon and get some mileage on it and see if I come up with anything.
2023 CVO Road Glide

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 11:44:30 AM »

kng103 I'll spray the kickstand spring as you mentioned. It's simple and if it works, great.

I can't get the bike to make the sound while on the table lift I have. The wheel has to be off of the table thus there is no load on the drive train. The noise won't duplicate itself in neutral sitting on the side stand either. Again the drive train has to be under load.

On that note I've been chasing my low speed wobble and in doing so I greased the neck bearings and since then I haven't had a single squeal/squeak. Coincidence, has to be. I'll head out this afternoon and get some mileage on it and see if I come up with anything.

low speed wobbles can be tricky.
i had that problem once. it turned out that i had to much weight in the bags on the left side of my bike. once i equaled out the weight, the wobble went away.
a buddy of mine had problems beacause he changed out his bars, and had to put weights inside the grips.

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 11:51:25 AM »

Hmmm the bags. I've thought of that but haven't actually tried it. My left bag is full to the top with riding gear. The right only has some tools. I leave it empty for my jacket and what nots while traveling. I'll try that here shortly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:52:25 PM by Puzzled »
2023 CVO Road Glide

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 11:54:38 AM »

Hmmm the bags. I've thought of that but haven't actually tried it. My lef bag is full to the top with riding gear. The right only has some tools. I leave it empty for my jacket and what nots while traveling. I'll try that here shortly.

exactly, i had the left bag loaded up with tools, rain gear, etc, and left the right bag pretty much empty for easy access.
let me know what happens.

se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 11:40:48 PM »

Check for a loose belt.  They squeek on decel when they are loose.  A good test is to wet the belt with a hose and drive it.  Without getting into book specs, if you have more than 1/2 inch deflection on the sidestand with finger pressure (spec is 10#) it's too loose.  You said they changed the tranny, that means the belt was off.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 11:40:05 PM »

My front brakes squeak all the time touch the front brakes see if it quiets.
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 10:04:44 AM »

My front brakes squeak all the time touch the front brakes see if it quiets.
It is definitely not a front brake squeak. I thought I had found it while chasing my wobble but I didn't. :'( It is a belt noise I believe. I just can't figure out how or why. I'll keep working on it.
2023 CVO Road Glide

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 01:58:22 PM »

Did they put a new belt on with the Baker6?  The newer belts are carbon fiber and they squeal quite a bit.  The older ones were kevlar and didn't squeal quite as much.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 02:22:39 PM »

There is no they, I do all of my own work.:P I still have the belt as delivered in 01. I'm leaning towards it seems like the belt is squealing on the pulley. It's tough to explain but it simply sounds like belt to pulley contact. Since it is only under deceleration it would make me think it is the belt chirping on the pulley. I thought I had solved it when I adjusted the belt last time. When the belt / bike is warm it does not do it as often. Maybe it is time for a new belt? I think I have one on the wall however I have no desire to pull the inner primary again.
2023 CVO Road Glide

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 11:15:19 PM »

Have you tried wetting the belt and going for a ride?  If the tone/pitch changes any, you've found the source.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.