Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Screwed up today --- don't do as I do please  (Read 12594 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Screwed up today --- don't do as I do please
« on: August 04, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »

Offered only as a refresher / reminder as I screwed up today and nearly wrecked the Road King.  Was heading south out of town accelerating away from the last interchange before open two lane highway.  Got to 60-65 and way too close in front of me a red hatchback of some kind pulls out from across street.  It had a stop sign and had been stopped.  Car just never saw me.

It was less than a block in front of me.  Not sure how far but way too close.  He did see me part way across and locked his car up.  Even worse probably.  When he got stopped is when I screwed up though. 

I initially thought he was going to go on through.  That's what it looked like.  So I'd started aiming for the area that would be behind him.  Then when he stopped I stared right at the driver that was dead in front of me.  And at least for a hare's moment that's exactly where I went.

Back wheel wasn't locked but was starting fishtail a bit as the bike's weight shifted forward.  Had this vivid thought that "chit, going to have to rebuild the Road King."

There was a sliver of open lane in front of the car and I got the bike pushed that way.  Whatever it was that stuck out farthest on the car actually slapped my right highway peg and folded it to its upright position as it went by.  But it was way too close.  Wouldn't have been that bad if I'd not locked eyes with the driver rather than where I should have wanted to go.  As it was I just got way too lucky.

So remember my friends, look where you want to go.  Because if you don't you'll screw up just like I did this morning.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
Re: Screwed up today --- don't do as I do please
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »

Don,

Great advice, sorry you had to be reminded this way, but at least neither you or the bike got hurt.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:04:50 PM »

Glad you're okay after the close call Twolanerider! Your advice on where to look is right on...

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »

Great post and lesson, Don.     :2vrolijk_21:   Thanks!  If we don't take responsibility for our mishaps, we will not get better and the next one could be worse.   :nervous:   I watched my nephew learn that lesson the hard way when he went down on a freeway transition ramp.  He made out with only a cracked kneecap. I'm very glad you were not hurt!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »

Thanks for the reminder, glad you're OK :2vrolijk_21:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »

Thanks guys.  I quite literally had a moment where the thought in my head was "don't look there."  If I'd not bitch slapped myself at that moment would have ridden right in to the side of the car as the bike never had a chance to get stopped in time.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »

Good advice Twolane, very glad you made it through ok.  Will offer this, your initial reaction was understandable, the car was moving.  You re-evaluated & adjusted your line of travel in a split second which requires great skill, will,  determination, some luck, & in at least my case a new set of skivvys.

Best always to live to tell the tale & ride another day! ; :2vrolijk_21:

:drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »

Glad you made Don, makes me think of all the times l have been told you go were you look. Your close call will stick in my mind more so than the words.

By the way I know you can rebuild the bike if it goes down but who would rebuild you if you were hurt bad.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:38:03 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »

By the way I know you can rebuild the bike if it goes down but who would rebuild you if you were hurt bad.

A minute or so down the road when a case of the hee-bee-geebee's crawled up my back I laughed at myself over the same idea; that I'd had my priorities screwed up there just a little bit.  It's weird not just what goes through your head so quickly but how much. 

Guess the real lesson is to hopefully be able to keep thinking.  If that had stopped that car would have been trying to very hard to screw with my good looks.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 05:04:01 PM »

A minute or so down the road when a case of the hee-bee-geebee's crawled up my back I laughed at myself over the same idea; that I'd had my priorities screwed up there just a little bit.  It's weird not just what goes through your head so quickly but how much. 

Guess the real lesson is to hopefully be able to keep thinking.  If that had stopped that car would have been trying to very hard to screw with my good looks.
A) Very glad your OK!!!
B) Very glad the RK is OK!!!
C) Thank you for the reminder - we try to war game this kind of stuff all the time but it doesn't always work when all the chit goes south at once.
D) Are you sure those where hee bee geebees crawling up your back?  Sometimes, in a moment of extreme terror... well... you know.  And it squishes.  :'(  :D

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »

Don,  glad you can think on your "wheels".  This was a great reminder of, "you go where you look". That is the reason I did not see any of the scenery when I was on the million dollar highway last month.  I was too afraid that I might go over the edge.  Total pucker!
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 07:02:07 PM »

A) Very glad your OK!!!
B) Very glad the RK is OK!!!
C) Thank you for the reminder - we try to war game this kind of stuff all the time but it doesn't always work when all the chit goes south at once.
D) Are you sure those where hee bee geebees crawling up your back?  Sometimes, in a moment of extreme terror... well... you know.  And it squishes.  :'(  :D

Yeap, checked my shorts later :drink: .

Only figuratively crapped myself.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 07:08:07 PM »

Don,  glad you can think on your "wheels".  This was a great reminder of, "you go where you look". That is the reason I did not see any of the scenery when I was on the million dollar highway last month.  I was too afraid that I might go over the edge.  Total pucker!

After a little reflection later in the day I've realized some bad habits I've picked up over the years.  Ok, maybe not bad habits picked up more than good habits not practiced. 

When out on the two lanes I used to with some regularity do as we're all supposed to and practice the panic stops and war game in my head through scenarios.  Things like if someone pulling out in front.  Just to keep the habits at least somewhat habitual.  I don't do that anymore; and haven't for --- well--- I'm not sure how long.  But a long time.

I'll do the panic stops.  But sometime I stopped practicing through other reactions and maneuvers.  Even just as a mental exercise.  Whether that had any bearing today on losing what felt like half of the available reaction time to just staring straight ahead at the car or not I don't know.  I'm an old fart anymore so reaction times and reflexes already aren't what they were 20 years ago.  Can't afford to have the brain shut down at inopportune times on top of that. 

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »

Whew!  Glad you are OK Don. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 07:17:58 PM »

Very happy you are ok Don as others have stated.  Thanks for the life lesson!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 26 queries.