Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: full faced modular helmets  (Read 15076 times)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
Re: full faced modular helmets
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »

Nolan has no fiber-glass and for this reason it`s worthless after 2-3 years , additional Nolan is too expensive for this bad quality - Sorry , just my view .  ::)
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 12:54:10 AM »

More comments please... I'm looking for a new modular too

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 03:15:29 AM »

I have the shoei multitec , a very good helmet for me , high price but high quality .
centered lock push-button , removable neck and front deflector ( winter-summer ) , two shields clear - and tinted , anti-fog system works great , double D lock , fiberglass .
Perfect fitting my head and the cheeks-pads are available in different sizes .http://www.shoei-europe.com/de/products/MULTITEC
 :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Once i have had this HD modular one in my hands , i found that it was very badly made and not good quality for that price ( 469 Euro in Germany ) ,

But the Schubert is left-hand controled and not in the center , this is not acceptable for me and does not work perfect , i gave the schubert back to the dealer after 3 days .
The internal sun visors are not bad but they make the helmet bigger , and bigger is not good .
 The schubert has no Double D lock , withe cold fingers you do loose your nervs when trying to close it .
Thumb down for me .

My 2 cents : helmet online is a no-go ( or you had tested it before on your head )

Nolan has no fiber-glass and for this reason it`s worthless after 2-3 years , additional Nolan is too expensive for this bad quality - Sorry , just my view .  ::)

I guess I'll get a Shoei, no one else knows a good helmet.  Just sayin' :nixweiss: my 2 cent

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 07:31:55 AM »

Fiberglass helmets are too heavy.  :-X  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4 - Big Bertha
    • CVO2: Non CVO - Softail Deluxe (wife's) lady lou
    • CVO3: Non CVO - Triumph T160 Trident/Ducati 900ss (I hope)
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »

I guess I'll get a Shoei, no one else knows a good helmet.  Just sayin' :nixweiss: my 2 cent

Helmets are so personal, I'd read all about it and then go for what you like. I've had Shoei's, Roof, Arai's and now Schuberth.  Schuberth for me a more comfortable and quiet, Shoei possibly better quality.  Some like double D's others like seatbelt type fittings - I've found the double D's difficult sometimes and the spare end of the strap can sometimes whip out and flap, however, you do know when it's properly fastened. Vision from the Schuberth a bit better, but my Schuberth won't take pinlock.  To me the HD helmets don't have the same quality, but they obviously pass all the tests.

It's a matter of preference.

Jon

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 03:45:50 PM »

For safety reasons, you should be replacing your helmet every 3 years -- or less!

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »

For safety reasons, you should be replacing your helmet every 3 years -- or less!

No need to change a fiberglass helmet after 3 years ( but you do it anyway ) .
Fiberglass helmets do not need to bring more weight , the visor and the mechanic brings the weight .
With a high quality-helmet you have less weight with a fiberglass than others sometimes .

strasinner

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 ultra classic cvo
    • CVO2: 08 Heritage (non cvo of course)
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 10:04:03 PM »

I have put 5000 miles on my H-D Stealth, I have no complaints.

Jon Seddon

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4 - Big Bertha
    • CVO2: Non CVO - Softail Deluxe (wife's) lady lou
    • CVO3: Non CVO - Triumph T160 Trident/Ducati 900ss (I hope)
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 04:33:06 AM »

The HD Stealth has a snap on the end of the strap that attaches near the D rings, so it does not flap in the wind.

The snap on my Shoei I found really difficult to clip the strap to so I ended up tucking it under the strap.

Jon

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 04:36:25 AM »

When you do it like shoei wants you to do , then  you get used to the clip and it works very good  :2vrolijk_21:

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »

Any other help with modular helmets? 8)

I am also pleased with the Shoei multitech. I usually cannot wear Shoei because my head shape is a better match for Arai, but this particular model has worked for me.

I did not like the H/D modular at all - poor head shape fit and the air noise was much greater than with the multitech.
live free and ride safe

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »

I've had two modulars.  The first was a cheapo $100 HCI that I bought in a local leather shop (M&M Leather for you Pittsburghers).  It was suprisingly good for the price.  It was solid, quiet, and cozy & snug.  The face shield was a pain in the butt to change, but otherwise I liked it.  The second (and current) is a Harley-branded HJC Symax, which I think cost me $275.  It feels like a higher quality build (it should, for the price difference), but it is much noisier than the HCI.  The H-D's chin release is also easier to unlatch and operate, but you get used to the mechanism on either.

Ed

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 12:28:47 AM »

I went with the HD stealth flame model.  When in the open position it still is aero enough that the chin bar doesn't catch any wind like some modulars.  I thas a thumb release in the center of the chin bar and easily opens with one hand to flip it up.

Trudy & both have the Stealth, 3 years and almost 50k miles.  I agree that there is some wind noise all closed up, open the face shield to create a slight lip up over the hemet & it gets quiet.  I rode for 40 years in a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet and now I am really sold on this helmet.  I have been at 90mph with the entire flip face open with no negative issues.  I have installed the J&M hedsets in them and we are very satisfied overall.

The fit is always the issue, you have to find one, try it on, walk around the store for 30 minutes with it on.  See if you get pressure points, better in the store than on the road. 

The other thing is they are in a price range where in a few years if you want something different it doesn't brake you to throw them away.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 07:18:53 AM »

The other thing is they are in a price range where in a few years if you want something different it doesn't brake you to throw them away.
Well, they're still worth more than I want to leave sitting on my seat to have some punk walk off with... :(....spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mike45

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Black & Silver
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »

I've been riding with an HJC Sy-Max II for the past year and I'm really happy with it. 

It has the flip-up face and the internal sun visor, which are the two main reasons I bought it.  I had a HJC CL-14 before that and I really liked that one as well.  Gate guard started asking me to take my helmet off since they couldn't see my face to compare it to my ID so it was time for a new helmet.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:39:44 AM by mike45 »
2008 SERK
TTS Mastertune
Bub 7 True Dual w/crossover
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.