Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: dark sunglasses question  (Read 25835 times)

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
Re: dark sunglasses question
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »

Wanted to get opinions on what dark sunglasses folks are using.  My Panoptics don't get dark enought in full sun.  Thanks!

I agree, i love the Panoptics transition lenses but in full sun they just don't cut it.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 08:08:29 PM »

Are the NXT Gray dark enough for full sun riding?

So far so good.  Haven't found a day where I was uncomfortable yet (including all day today - just got in, been out since 7AM). 

Our eyes are all different -- more or less sensitive to light.  13% visible light is a fairly low number (that's the rating on the NXT Gray lenses), although I'm sure there are lower.   I would for sure need something more reflective for a bright day on the ski slopes.

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »

What are those like myself that require prescription lenses using for sunglasses? I've been using my regular glasses w/clip on sunglasses, but either the pollen is extremely bad this year or my eyes are getting more sensitive. Rode today and my eyes were itching like crazy not sure if it was pollen or wind but I want to find some glasses more specific to motorcycle riding for better protection. I had thought transition lenses for riding would be good (that way I would only need one pair), but sounds like transitions might not be the best option. :nixweiss: I've also seen the yellow lenses for night driving and was wondering what those that have or tried them thought of them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »

Fired00d, I just recently went to contacts.  In fact, I was going to order prescription 7Eye sunglasses & was in somewhat of a quandary when the best fitting frames didn't come prescription (the Taku frames are wrap-around & do not accommodate a prescrption).  That's when I saw a commercial for multi-focal (near & far correction) contact lenses, and made the switch. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »

Have worn contacts before, but the problem I had then was I couldn't read w/them in. I have astigmatism so I'm constantly taking my glasses off to see things up close and couldn't do that w/contacts. Going for my routine checkup in July and have heard/read that technology has gotten better and they may have contacts that will work for my condition. :nixweiss: Still would like to find some prescription glasses that would work for riding to just in case I still have the problem w/the contacts.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »

Got it.  The astigmatism makes it harder to find the right contacts.  Not impossible though -- especially with today's tech.  I wouldn't give up on the idea.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 09:27:56 PM »

My eyes are suffering from glaucoma and now cataracs are beginning.  And too much damage from glare and such over too many years.....I have to use transition bi-focals so I can read the instruments/GPS etc close up and still see details on signs at a distance.  Have to use the darkest polarized lenses available for day and glare resistant coatings on clear for night.  Use the wraparound RayBans when using a 1/2 helmet but they won't fit under my full coverage so I have to use a smaller aviator flexible frame for both sun and clear with that helmet.  Makes for expensive options, but well worth it to see as good as possible.  Of course, darkness and especially rain reduce visibility greatly for my tired ole eyes.  Still just glad to be able to see at all.....so, I don't complain.  Just keep the optical outfitters happy.  :toff: :cool3: :stare: har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 12:00:36 PM »

I also owned 2 pairs of the Panoptics.  I liked them but for $150+ a pair I always had to be careful with them.  Well my last pair snapped on the frame and Panoptic nor the dealer would warranty them.

Well I was pis&ed so I vowed not to buy another pair and starting looking at what else they offered.  I found a pair of $20 eyeride glasses that had a yellow lense.  There work PERFECT and for only $20 bucks!  I then went back and bought a dark pair for bright days also $20 these have a rubber guard that fits to my face - which I Do Not like because when I sweat it collects there - it does cut down the wind though just like the Panoptics did.

It is now the only sunglasses I buy - there are inexpensive and offer 100%UV protection in any color. :2vrolijk_21:

Here is the website if you want to check them out.

www.eyeride.com
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

I also owned 2 pairs of the Panoptics.  I liked them but for $150+ a pair I always had to be careful with them.  Well my last pair snapped on the frame and Panoptic nor the dealer would warranty them.

Well I was pis&ed so I vowed not to buy another pair and starting looking at what else they offered.  I found a pair of $20 eyeride glasses that had a yellow lense.  There work PERFECT and for only $20 bucks!  I then went back and bought a dark pair for bright days also $20 these have a rubber guard that fits to my face - which I Do Not like because when I sweat it collects there - it does cut down the wind though just like the Panoptics did.

It is now the only sunglasses I buy - there are inexpensive and offer 100%UV protection in any color. :2vrolijk_21:

Here is the website if you want to check them out.

www.eyeride.com

Panoptics used to charge a minimal amount to repair broken out of warranty glasses (depending on whats broken).  I think I paid 60$ to repair a broken frame.  Not sure what the new company charges.
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »

Fired00d, I just recently went to contacts.  In fact, I was going to order prescription 7Eye sunglasses & was in somewhat of a quandary when the best fitting frames didn't come prescription (the Taku frames are wrap-around & do not accommodate a prescrption).  That's when I saw a commercial for multi-focal (near & far correction) contact lenses, and made the switch. 
What brand are you using?  I used Accuvision bifocals for a couple of years, but never really got good bifocal results.  If I got strong enough to allow reading small print, they were out of focus at distance & vice versa.  I am now using Proclear Multifocal (by Cooper Vision), and they are great!

Ed

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 05:52:49 PM »

What brand are you using?  I used Accuvision bifocals for a couple of years, but never really got good bifocal results.  If I got strong enough to allow reading small print, they were out of focus at distance & vice versa.  I am now using Proclear Multifocal (by Cooper Vision), and they are great!

Ed

Currently using Biomedics EP (by Cooper Vision), and I'm having the same near vs far problem you mention but going back in next week for a fine tune.  I'll mention Proclear Multifocals when I'm in.  Like I mentioned earlier this is new to me, so we're just getting them dialed in.  I read a lot of good feedback from users of Frequency 55 multifocals (again, from Cooper) and plan on trying these as well.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 05:56:34 PM »

Currently using Biomedics EP (by Cooper Vision), and I'm having the same near vs far problem you mention but going back in next week for a fine tune.  I'll mention Proclear Multifocals when I'm in.  Like I mentioned earlier this is new to me, so we're just getting them dialed in.  I read a lot of good feedback from users of Frequency 55 multifocals (again, from Cooper) and plan on trying these as well.
Good luck & let me know which way you go.  I'm really happy with the Proclear, but always willing to shop around for something better!

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 08:55:45 AM »

Anyone try these sunglasses? I read not to get polarized for riding...true/false?  

http://www.liquidpolarized.com/store/detail.html?style_id=31

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »

Anyone try these sunglasses? I read not to get polarized for riding...true/false?  

http://www.liquidpolarized.com/store/detail.html?style_id=31

I use nothing else by polarized during the day and find them great~  the only problem I've had with them is at gas pumps trying to read the 'instructions' for credit card/pump use......they must be LCDs cause the polarized lenses eliminated them.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »

The reason Polarized lenses are not recommend for riders is that they hide glare from slick spots -- which we would otherwise notice.  I wore nothing but Polarized lenses while riding, and loved them, until I read this.

Taking the risk seriously I switched to a non-Polarized lens in my 7Eye Taku's, and have no problem with them at all.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 24 queries.