Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: dark sunglasses question  (Read 25842 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: dark sunglasses question
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 10:27:42 AM »

I use nothing else by polarized during the day and find them great~  the only problem I've had with them is at gas pumps trying to read the 'instructions' for credit card/pump use.....they must be LCDs cause the polarized lenses eliminated them.  spyder

Amen on that. I've come close to buying a car wash more than a couple of times.  :o

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »

I use nothing else by polarized during the day and find them great~  the only problem I've had with them is at gas pumps trying to read the 'instructions' for credit card/pump use......they must be LCDs cause the polarized lenses eliminated them.  spyder

Anything with a polycarbonate cover will cause that...covers on the gas pump, some motorcycle windshields, airplane windshields, instrument gauges,  so we have to be carefull who we prescribe them for. Pilots and police officers are advised not to use polarize eyewear. The only time you are around polarized light is if it reflects off a smooth surface like glassy water or ice, so its mostly overkill and a waste of money for most purposes. Most prescription polarized eyewear is made out of polycarbonate which has really crappy optics, so if you have a choice get CR-39 plastic polarized. I'm on the water a lot so I like them for that, but not on the bike.

I've had the best luck with B/L PureVision MultiFocal contact lenses, but the Cooper products have always been good too. The Cooper BioMedics 55 Premier has aspheric optics and is by far the best single vision lens available today. Doc
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:45:51 AM by grandpadoc »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »

What are those like myself that require prescription lenses using for sunglasses? I've been using my regular glasses w/clip on sunglasses, but either the pollen is extremely bad this year or my eyes are getting more sensitive. Rode today and my eyes were itching like crazy not sure if it was pollen or wind but I want to find some glasses more specific to motorcycle riding for better protection. I had thought transition lenses for riding would be good (that way I would only need one pair), but sounds like transitions might not be the best option. :nixweiss: I've also seen the yellow lenses for night driving and was wondering what those that have or tried them thought of them.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
dood, I get the itchy eyes also have had hay fever all my life. Try using Visine Allergy, helps take the fire out nice.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »

dood, I get the itchy eyes also have had hay fever all my life. Try using Visine Allergy, helps take the fire out nice.
Thanks I'll try it. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 01:30:16 AM »

Have your eye doc give you a sample of Pataday and see if it works for you. It's usually very effective and one drop in the morning is all you need for the day. Doc

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 11:28:38 AM »

Thanks, never heard of that, will have to check that out. Should have known just ask the DOC.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »

Gatorz.www.gatorz.com. Frames guaranteed for life. I've had mine 10 years & still perfect. Brother in law just sent his back after 12 years. Rebuild with new glass around $40.00. Can't get any better than that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:22:22 PM by MUFFMAN »

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »

Pataday is probably the best out there for allergies.  It will take a few days of usage before you see an improvement, but once working it does a great job.  d00d, if you've got much astigmatism, there's nothing out there that works WELL for a multifocal.  You can do monovision (one eye for near and one for distance), but if you're type A about your vision, you won't be satisfied with your vision.  The multifocals work well for many patients, but they need to be regularly tweaked for optimum vision.  If you're taking off your glasses all the time to read, why not do a pair of distance contacts and use a pair of readers when you need to see up close?  You could even do a daily dispoable contact for your distance (it MAY work for your astigmatism), so you'd only wear them when you ride.  Relatively inexpensive and no solutions to worry about AND they work well for patients with allergies.

A transition lens won't get real dark, no matter what you do with it.  The transitions of yesteryear could be forced to get darker some by the freezing method, but it's short lived.  The new ones don't respond to this treatment.  A good dark polarized lens will allow you to see whatever you want in full sunlight- except the damn lcd screens!  ANY flat surface reflects light, so the polarization will also cut the glare coming off the road surface as well as windshields, hoods, water, etc, etc.  You do have to "learn" that slick spots won't be necessarily shiney, but you can STILL see them just fine.  Some people like a little yellow tint at night, as it does slightly cut on coming headlight glare.

Visine Allergy has naphazoline hydrochloride in it to reduce redness.  This is an epinephrine analog, which works by simply shrinking the diameter of your blood vessels.  The problem with this is repeated usage can cause a "rebound" affect, where your blood vessels need the drug to keep them normal sized!  It also uses benzalkonium chloride (BAK) as a preservative.  This is probably the MOST allergy causing preservative on the market to day.  It's the preservatives that we're all allergic to, so you should try to stay away from anything with a preservative if you're fighting allergies already.  Prolonged usage can lead to an allergy to the preservative, thus making things worse than if you hadn't used the product at all.   Unfortunately, MOST of the antiallergy drops out there use BAK as a preservative, so it's tough to get away from.  Pataday also uses it, but it works well enough to not cause a problem AND you're only taking it once a day, so the chance for an allergic reaction to BAK is very slight.  If your allergies are slight, then a simple artificial tear (non-preserved or disappearing preservative, preferably) and cool compresses will do as much AND you don't run the risk of a preservative allergy reaction.

Keeping you eyes lubricated while riding (re:all the time) will help reduce you allergies.  Spending lots of time on the computer, as most people do now, will dry your eyes out terribly, so good lubrication will make you more productive and more comfortable.  There are a couple of good ones out there, such as Refresh Endura or Similsan Computer Eyes both work very well and don't require frequent instillation.

jm.04
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »

Not seeing slicks on roads or moguls when skiing with polarized eyewear really gets my attention and has never been comfortable for me, great for fishing though. In my experience Similisan is the drop of choice for dry eyes because it is one of the few without BAK and is contact lens friendly. Patanol gives immediate relief because of he antihistamine, the mast cell stabilizer does take a few days to kick in but for acute problems can't be beat and then switch to a a pure mast cell stabilizer like Alomide for chronic relief. I don't like folks using a antihistamines all the time because of the anti-cholonergic effects which can lead to decreased accommodation, dilated pupils and spikes in ocular pressure. Hey its great doing shop talk with someone on this site.
Doc

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 03:18:50 AM »

I've got the 7Eye (former Panoptx) 13%.  I tried the transition lenses and they did not get dark enough.  I wear contacts, so the prescription wasn't important to me.  Although the 7Eye are not as dark as my RayBan's, they are more than adequate in bright sun and the field of vision is so much better than my RayBans and I seem to see more clearly through them.  The only thing I don't like about them is the frame seems to be fragile where the stems connect.  I haven't had a problem with breakage, but they just have that feel that makes me treat them very gently to make sure that they don't break.  From trying on everything from the Harleys and Wiley-X and 7Eye, I only found one pair that really fit me well, so that was a major part of my decision to purchase the 7Eye's.  If the Wiley-X's fit me better and the foam cushions made a good seal around my eyes, I would have probably gone that route...just based on what I've seen posted and some other friends that swear by them.  So, some of us won't have as many choices to make in the end if you can't get a good fit out of many different glasses.  Hopefully, you'll have more choice than I did, but I'm still quite happy with the 7Eye pair I ended up with.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2009, 10:24:29 AM »

1ab, nice write-up on the 7Eye lenses.  Which frames did you choose?

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »

if memory serves me right they were something like this
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »

if memory serves me right they were something like this
Hey Larry, is that you behind those RayBans?  :o har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 12:00:14 PM »

Hey Larry, is that you behind those RayBans?  :o har!  spyder
It looks a little like Dave. After his Dr McGillicudy's
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »

It looks a little like Dave. After his Dr McGillicudy's

I went through the same chit in Maggie Valley.  Went to 2 ABC Stores and all they had was that mint flavored crap.  But I've got a fresh bottle of Cherry Dr McGullicudy's in the fridge for the Stanley Cup Final game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.