Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Helmet opinions  (Read 18475 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Helmet opinions
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »

Not wearing one is NOT an option for me....but, I bought a Bell Mag 8 (great reviews on webbike site), which I plan on using for longer trips because of the communication deal...it's really a nice helmet, and very reasonable)...but, it certainly doesn't look at cool as the "shorty" helmets.  Any suggestions for a good quality shorty or "half helmet".  I don't have to have a HD helmet....decals are cheap.  Are the zip off lower pads worth it?  I'm pretty particular about my brain staying within it's original container, so won't ride without some kind of helmet.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

TankerPig

• Full CVO Member
  • Be careful, sobriety can make you do silly things!
Re: Helmet opinions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 06:05:45 PM »

I purchased the Bell Drifter helmet after reading dozens of great review about it, both on the internet and in mags.  It fits great on my head and looks good (if you enjoy the thick look of a DOT helmet), but the chin strap should be more appropriately called a "choke the hell out of you" strap  :o.  It could just be that I have an odd shaped head, but the strap reaches a little too far back for me.  I also own a H-D half helmet (don't recall the name and couldn't find it on the website).  Looks good and the chin strap cinches just behind my chin, VERY comfortable.  Just goes to show it's better to try one on in the store than to roll the dice by purchasing over the internet...sometimes.
Good luck with your choice!
2005 Screamin Eagle Fatboy
V&H Big Shots Staggered
Zipper's High Flow Air Cleaner
PCIII USB
PM Contrast Cut Gasser wheels, pulley, rotors

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »

Hi tcnbham,
I have been wearing the shorty helmet with the zip-on/off lower curtain since 1997. I feel it is a good compromise between an open shorty or novelty helmet and the more full 3/4 or open face helmet. That curtain can protect you from wind noise,sunburn,debris and provide a small degree of warmth in cool weather. Different companies have slightly different shaped helmet patterns so you really need to try on the helmet to get a good fit based on your head shape. I have a black and white HJC helmet which matches the ones in use by local motor officers and I have seen other people point and say "there's an officer" some cars have even pulled out of my way when I ride my CUSE. ;D
Vega also makes a helmet that looks like the HJC and is comparable in price and quality.

SEvet

• Junior CVO Member
    • AZ
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 04:59:03 PM »

www.bellhelmets.com   and make sure you check the closeouts.   8-)
2015 Stage 4 Road Glide
Coming - 2016 Fatboy
Past rides;
2000 SERG w/SE heads, Race Tuner, V&H ovals
'01 FLHRI, 95"
2009 SERG Silver V&H Power Duals, 2" Fullsac baffles, HB

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 08:25:14 AM »

What about any HD buckets? Are there any good ones out there? Also who makes them for the MOCO?
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 09:03:36 AM »

What about any HD buckets? Are there any good ones out there? Also who makes them for the MOCO?

I wear a half shell from HD and it's the best fitting helmet I've had. Don't know who makes them for HD. Cost me about $125 as I recall.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 09:40:50 AM »

Here's a thread that the search feature brought up:
http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?action=search2

I believe they're made by Bell......or at least they used to be.  They did o.k. but didn't score real high in the Motorcycle Consumer News helmet comparison tests.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 10:08:18 AM »

Well the reason I inquire on buckets is because me and the missus are going to be going to a site get together and are going to be in bucket states.Momma is not used to wearing a lid and I don't think she wants to look like the"Great Gazoo" if ya know what I mean. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 10:28:20 AM »

I have two H-D helmets. A Jet with a full face shield and a 1/2 helmet. Both are well made and the Jet is quite comfortable so long as it's not real warm. My wife has a regular Bell Magnum that's been around for a few years, but is in good shape. The similarities between the Jet and her Magnum would lead me to believe Bell makes H-D Helmets. I've always been a Bell guy. Bought my 1st one in 1969.

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 10:55:44 AM »

[highlight]Bought my 1st one in 1969. [/highlight]

Figure that the year I was born.

RedFXR2

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 11:23:01 AM »

I've always been a Bell guy. Bought my 1st one in 1969.

My first helmet was a Bell R/T in
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 11:24:33 AM by RedFXR2 »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 12:54:21 PM »

I think the MOCO gets 'em made now from a couple of different places...some do look like Bells, but I've seen a couple that look like HJC or Vega made it...kinda hard to tell.  DOT is that only thing that matters to me, and not the "Novelty" helmets out there.  

BD...get you and the missus a couple of them Kaiser helmets with the spike on top...ya'll would be kewt in those   ;D ;D

TTS Mastertune

The Mysterious Q!

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • CT
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 02:40:59 PM »

[highlight]BD...get you and the missus a couple of them Kaiser helmets with the spike on top...ya'll would be kewt in those     [/highlight]

I actually have a novelty SS helmet now. I want a DOT approved now if I need to wear one. The straps on those novelty ones always let the bucket catch some wind and ride up i look even more stupid riding when that happens [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 04:04:24 PM »

Bikers Choice Skid Lid is in my near purchasing future.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 04:23:52 PM »

Check out this site as well...pretty good prices and some pretty cool paint jobs if you want to pay extra for the paint on the DOT helmets

http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/

TTS Mastertune
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.