Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Helmet opinions  (Read 18478 times)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
Re: Helmet opinions
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2006, 04:08:02 PM »

Its all money,money ,money.This doesn't match that, I need this to go with that .Does this helmet make my ass look big? Geez Louise enough already. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=nervous.gif]

You need to get her the mcg shirt that says, "Does MY bike make my butt look fast?"  

~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

BaronStump

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2006, 04:44:50 AM »

Have always maintained one of each (1/2, 3/4, full) for various riding conditions, length of rides/trips, different bikes (windscreen or not)...
Best half helmet I've ever own is my current, DOT approved, carbon fiber helmet.  Smallest approved DOT helmet on the market, but I don't believe it's matched by any in strength or protection.  They can be found at:  http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dot.htm  Be sure to tour around their website, some useful info is posted.
As for my current 3/4 and full face, they are both HJC...first, I'm living less than 20 miles from their factory here in Korea, so the outlet and price is right.  Second, the helmets actually fit very nicely and have numerous padding options that can be changed out to adjust the fit, plus they are removable and washable.  My 3/4 Open face is an AC-3, great helmet, can be configured with a rachetable full face shield (in many shades, tints, or clear) or just worn with the visor and glasses/googles.  It has opening/closing vents that really get some air flow into and out of the helmet.  Full Face is the HJC SY-MAX with the flip-up/adjustable chin bar and ratcheting/changeable face shields.  The face sheild changes on both the AC-3 and SY-MAX are tool-less, so we have numerous spare shields.  The SY-MAX also has the removable, washable, fit determined pad and liners.  The shells are actually one size and you can buy additional change out liners and pads.  I've done that so I have spare helmets available for others.  Simply do their fitting about 15 minutes before riding.  Works out great, wife has both the AC-3 and SY-MAX also...plus her own bike.  Keeps us from having a size assortment of helmets, especially with the pad kits so cheap. Keep the shiney side up- -Baron Stump
'06 FLHTCUSE Haze-n-Black
Too Numerous to List
1999 Indian Chief (Custom Paint - Red)
ThunderHeart Single Fire
Woods W6H Prowler Cam
HackerLabs Hacker B
Too Much Chrome & Engine changes to list

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 08:42:06 AM »

Well I have under 2 weeks to make a decision.I'll take all this info and let you guys know what the decision is.Thanks,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006, 09:14:43 AM »

Check out the Nolan N-100.  Rated Best Buy by Motorcycle Consumer News (the Consumer Reports for the motorcycle industry) at about $250.  It's a flip face helmet and the tinted face shields are available.

Go to this thread and see the photos of JCZ..............  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1146446411/0#0    Many of the guys with full face helmets talk about wind noise but with the Nolan N-100 it has a rubber flap that fits up under your chin that prevents all that noise.  Very comfortable and quick release designed to use with your gloves on.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 10:04:47 AM »

Not wearing one is NOT an option for me....but, I bought a Bell Mag 8 (great reviews on webbike site), which I plan on using for longer trips because of the communication deal...it's really a nice helmet, and very reasonable)...but, it certainly doesn't look at cool as the "shorty" helmets.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »

Those Carbon Fiber Helmets in the link above are NICE!  I'm going to try and beat my dealer out of a couple of helmets when I take delivery, but I'm not holding my breath. I've got the Bell Mag 8, so that'll get me home. The Carbon Fibers look good though, but I think I would go with the leather ear flap option to keep the wind noise down...plus it might offer some protection if you went on a slide.  I kinda like my ears and would hate to have nubs in their place.  They kind of decorate your head, ya' know? They have a few other purposes I won't go into here... ;D ;D [smiley=devil.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2006, 03:47:59 PM »

Those Carbon Fiber Helmets in the link above are NICE!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2006, 04:38:22 PM »

This is true, Grasshopper   :)

Ears are kinda strange though...they keep on growing your whole damn life...., and what's with the hair decidin' it's gonna grow there instead of on top of your head, where it belongs? I have to have a damn weedeater to keep it outa' there and my nose.  WTF?  If I don't, I could braid the chit.... I keep waitin' to look like friggin' Dumbo one of these days, but then I'll be too old to give a chit, and I'll be glad to have hair, no matter where it is, I guess. Guess they're (ears) like other body appendages men have...like this old black dude I used to work with back when I wore a tool belt used to say "They don't do much any more, but they sho' do dress a man up"     [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Paladin

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2006, 05:56:47 PM »

I use a helmet made by Caberg. It's a flip-up with a second tinted visor inside that flips up also. Very cool the way it operates, especially if you wear glasses. It's a little heavy by carbon fiber standards, but not too bad. Website has a good demo of how everything works ...caberg-helm.com ...

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2006, 06:55:04 PM »

Everyone,

If it hasn't been mentioned. Check out the Schuberth Modular (Flip Up) Helmet.

They have a new model C2, which has improvements over the older Concept. Schuberth originally mad the BMW Modular Helmets.

Are lightweight, original ones to come out with the internal tinted visor, also have the neck curtain systme to keep wind out. Claim to be one of the quiter helmets. Have had one for two years.

geezerglide

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 10:11:33 PM »

Hey Geez, is the Schuberth C-2 that rig that retails for like $700.00? I have had the Concept ($400.00) for a few years. Great features, a little wind noisy, fogs easy, but glad to have it when things turn cold and crappy.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2006, 11:18:40 PM »

Ridefar,

I have seen the Schuberth C2, Buy It Now Price for $439.95 on eBay, Helmet Harbor.

The Concept I have did not fog up much, live in Canada (Alberta) driven in cold, wet, snowy conditions sometimes.

From what I hear the C2 is not as noisy as the old Concept.

geezerglide

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2006, 12:04:29 AM »

Anybody tried the stealth flamed, flip-up, full face that is out from Harley ? My four year old Americana 3/4 from H/D that I've been wearing just showed a crack in it today. So, I'm in the market. The Nolan sounds interesting.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2006, 08:08:37 AM »

Anybody tried the stealth flamed, flip-up, full face that is out from Harley ? My four year old Americana 3/4 from H/D that I've been wearing just showed a crack in it today. So, I'm in the market. The Nolan sounds interesting.
If that is the one made by KBC, yes. I have the HD version (wifes) and the KBC version (mine). Overall I like it. I had a Shoie Modular before this and this one is considerably quieter. All of the pads come out of the helmet enabling you to make it a true custom fit. I had to order thinner cheek pads which cost me about $11.00. You can ride with the modular section flipped up without the fear of it slamming shut. The visor is good up until around 50ish or so before it self closes on you. I have not found a way to tighten this yet. The KBC version was a $100.00 less then the HD version. I guess because I didn't get the flames and HD emblem on mine!

The Nolan that was referenced above is a nice helmet also. I tried one on while in Helmet City in Daytona. What I look for in a modular is the weight and if I can see light around the seal where the modular part joins the shell. I'm considering trying one. I have about 8-10 helmets here already so what is another one? I believe I just saw them on clearance somewhere. I can't remember if it was for the Nolan N-100 with the single flip up mechanism or the dual latch. I know the dual latch is stronger but I don't care for it.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2006, 09:09:49 AM »

That's the one, thanks for the reply. How hot does it have to get out before it becomes uncomfortable ? Or is it OK .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.