Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: COOL VEST  (Read 8956 times)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
COOL VEST
« on: May 26, 2006, 02:49:15 PM »

Just recived the cool vest from silver eagle outfitters. looks like a quailty item. the 2xx vest gets soaked in its plastic bag with 24 oz h2o. while wearing you feel the evapoative effect. recharge w/more h2o
www.coolingapparel.com
about $100.00

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: COOL VEST
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 04:35:30 PM »

Van, I think this is the one that Terrie and I looked at, at the BMW dealership.  How long did it take to get, once you ordered it?  I suppose it works like the Cool Snakes that were popular a few years ago?

Holly had one of these, if you remember, from our Yosemite ride last year.  I have a pretty good idea how long it lasts hourly but I wonder how many years one could expect to get out of it?  For those of us in the southwest, it's almost a "must" in the summer. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 09:36:48 AM »

only took a couple of days to rec it. its washable [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] and looks like it should last for years

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 10:14:48 PM »

Have you utizied it yet and do you have a review to present to the forum? This is one of the products I am interested in hear more information.

Thanks.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 10:24:16 PM »

i havnt utizied it yet but i will after cc.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 02:24:44 AM »

Have you utizied it yet and do you have a review to present to the forum? This is one of the products I am interested in hear more information.

Thanks.

Jock, Holly, a lady who has rode with us and is a very good friend of mine uses one in the summer.  She's in our age group somewhere (how's that for diplomacy?) and she swears by it.  I know last summer when we were riding and it was close to 100 degrees, when we stopped, she seemed to be the only one that wasn't fried and overheated.  For $100 I'll be investing in one before Cripple Creek.

I think it'll end up being like my heated gear and my Schampa Skinnywear for the winter.......once I had it, I wondered how I ever lived without it. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 02:30:09 PM »

JC,

Well that does it...being lookin' at them on the web for several months now. I have been seeking the right testimonial and I just got it.

Looks like a vest and a shirt will be in order.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »

Ordered 1 this morning for the ride through Death Valley and AZ...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:10:16 PM »

Terrie and I ordered ours tonight, also.  Feelin like a really old man, now. [smiley=nervous.gif] But dammit we'll be comfortable. [smiley=banana.gif]

West Coast GTG   

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 11:08:03 PM »

Van, when the vest is activated (with the water) does it feel about like you're wearing a heavy leather jacket (weight-wise)?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 12:58:43 AM »

Terrie and I ordered ours tonight, also.  Feelin like a really old man, now. [smiley=nervous.gif] But dammit we'll be comfortable. [smiley=banana.gif]

Exactly!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 02:53:28 AM »

Thanks so much for the tip.  I did not order the vest, but I did go ahead and get three Long Sleeve shirts, one for Mr We, his brother and I for our trip next week.   ;) [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »

Van, when the vest is activated (with the water) does it feel about like you're wearing a heavy leather jacket (weight-wise)?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  spyder
i havnt worn mine yet but it absorbs 26 oz water - thats about 2 lbs

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »

i havnt worn mine yet but it absorbs 26 oz water - thats about 2 lbs
Hmmm. I wonder if you used beer..... nah, that wouldn't work the fluid wouldn't stay in vest long enough to do any good. [smiley=confused5.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 02:13:45 PM »

Hey Jock, JC, Van.......did you guys order the black or the silver colored vest.  Black looks better in the pics, but wonder if it'd be too hot in the sun???   I'm waiting to get a 'road-test' review from one of you guys before I make the 'plunge'   [smiley=bath.gif] har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 03:53:37 PM »

Hey Jock, JC, Van.......did you guys order the black or the silver colored vest.  Black looks better in the pics, but wonder if it'd be too hot in the sun???   I'm waiting to get a 'road-test' review from one of you guys before I make the 'plunge'   [smiley=bath.gif] har!  spyder

Terrie and I ordered the black.  Just not quite old enough to go silver yet. [smiley=nervous.gif]

West Coast GTG   

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 04:19:09 PM »

Yeah, JC, the 'cool-factor'  8-) went right out the window with the design/material and the lighter color makes it even worse.  ::)  Maybe we could figure out how to disquise it w/ patches or something.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] har!   spyder

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 04:27:00 PM »

Spyd....I'm thinking in our part of the country, the black's gonna' be like bathwater the first stoplight we come to.  It does look better though.....and it makes one look thinner    [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Somebody needs to get one of these things and do an in depth analysis on evaporative rate and temperature drop across an average beer belly.  [smiley=drink.gif] ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 04:46:01 PM »

[highlight]Somebody needs to get one of these things and do an in depth analysis on evaporative rate and temperature drop across an average beer belly. [/highlight] [smiley=drink.gif] ;D

Simple physics... increased surface area exposed = increased evaporation rate of equipment therefore bigger belly = cooler temperature  ;)

Using these assumptions I suspect some wearers may have to put on a sweater......  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=ROFLOL.gif]

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

Seriously, I did large commercial HVAC work for over 18 years (University/Hospital setting)...if anyone has ever seen what they used to call a "Swamp Cooler"...basically a square box with water trickling down three sides over a perforated medium, and a fan pulling air across the surface....it's the same principle.  When the humidity is low and the temp is high (like the Southwest) these things will get a 10 to 15 degree drop in temp between incoming air temp and discharge air temp.  So in theory, at least, this vest could make your nads draw up in the right conditions.  Even here in the sultry, steamy South, there will be some benefit, at least while you're moving at a significant rate of speed  8-) :o

And like SEULTRA stated, there would be a direct corelation between square surface inches of beer belly and cooling/evaporative effect flowing off the back side of same...so, more beer  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] + wet vest + 80MPH =  [smiley=cool26.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 11:13:09 PM »

Hell of an education fellows.   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

West Coast GTG   

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 11:34:33 AM »

I ordered the silver since the whole point of it is to stay cool.  Ordered with standard shipping and it got here in less than a weeK!  Havent tried it yet, but it looks high quality...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 11:46:31 PM »

Ours came in today.  The fit is actually a little better then I expected. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

West Coast GTG   

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 07:46:50 PM »

i finally got to use my cool vest. i went through nevada and utah returning to ca. the vest was the best 100 bucks i ever spent. i cant imagin how it would have been without it! 112 degrees!! mine holds about a quart of water and will last for about 90 min. who else has tried thiers?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 12:57:27 AM »

i finally got to use my cool vest. i went through nevada and utah returning to ca. the vest was the best 100 bucks i ever spent. i cant imagin how it would have been without it! 112 degrees!! mine holds about a quart of water and will last for about 90 min. who else has tried thiers?

Ernie, Terrie and I would have to agree........we came across the same two deserts.  We stopped at gas stations and went in where they had the sodas in a bucket full of ice.....Terrie did it first.....then Ernie and I both pulled ours off right there in the store and dunked them in the ice water.........then I filled my pockets with ice.  I was good for a couple hours. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  It actually made it were it was not that bad........on the other hand, Andy and Jon (neither had a Cool Vest) didn't look like they were fairing as well. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

West Coast GTG   

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 01:48:04 AM »

Ernie, Terrie and I would have to agree........we came across the same two deserts.  We stopped at gas stations and went in where they had the sodas in a bucket full of ice.....Terrie did it first.....then Ernie and I both pulled ours off right there in the store and dunked them in the ice water.........then I filled my pockets with ice.  I was good for a couple hours. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  It actually made it were it was not that bad........on the other hand, Andy and Jon (neither had a Cool Vest) didn't look like they were fairing as well. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I agree wholeheartedly!  I also know that Duke and Wanda swear by theirs as well.  NV & AZ were HOT!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

magicl1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 09:50:59 PM »

stopped at gas stations and went in where they had the sodas in a bucket full of ice.....Terrie did it first.....then Ernie and I both pulled ours off right there in the store and dunked them in the ice water.........

I was reading the tags on the vest and it said it came with it's own soaking bag???? I looked in the trash and realized the bag it came in was a "zip lock" intended to hold the jacket and the recommended amount of water (or Ice Water [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]) to soak it up.
Haven't used mine yet.  I try to leave at 5 AM before heading up to our mountains in AZ.  Hoping to try mine out tomorrow as I won't be able to head north until after 4 PM!  Probabley around 114 degrees by then! [smiley=sauer005.gif]  
[highlight]Update:[/highlight]
Well it was a record 118 for Friday (said 120 on the thermometer in my car) with severe thunder storms looming in the distance so we left the bike at home and took the car.  I would not have needed the zip lock bag as it rained and hailed all the way up sot the vest would have gotten it's own soaking.  Will test it out another time.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 02:24:23 PM by magicl1 »
Supertrapp 2:1 and SERT

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »

I was reading the tags on the vest and it said it came with it's own soaking bag????

There's a "soaking barrell" full of ice and water inside ever gas station mini mart.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  And filling the pockets with ice as I'm wetting the cool vest works very well. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Been in the triple digits here for the past twelve days!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 07:47:20 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 08:04:01 PM »

Hey JC, does anyone ever look at you funny when you start taking your clothes off and soaking 'em in the iced drink barrel in the mini marts?  You must just have that 'look' about you that keeps 'um at bay.  >:( har!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] spyder

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 09:10:46 PM »

Hey JC, does anyone ever look at you funny when you start taking your clothes off and soaking 'em in the iced drink barrel in the mini marts?  You must just have that 'look' about you that keeps 'um at bay.  >:( har!  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] spyder

People been looking at me funny all my life. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Always thought it was cause of my good looks! [smiley=nervous.gif]

West Coast GTG   

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2006, 10:20:41 PM »

People been looking at me funny all my life. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Always thought it was cause of my good looks! [smiley=nervous.gif]
;D

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 03:16:32 PM »

I ran into some riders from Canada when on my trip in California and they swore by these jackets. I don't know if they are the same thing but 1 rider told me he got cold with it on and as JCZ said it was hotter than blazes out there.

Bigdog

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 01:03:02 PM »

I bought one in Custer at this year's Sturgis rally - I agree it's one of the better purchases I've made.  It keeps you more alert on days you'd get heat-soaked too.  It easily lasts between gas stops.  
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.