Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: WHAT TYPE OF HELMET DO YOU WEAR??  (Read 9469 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
WHAT TYPE OF HELMET DO YOU WEAR??
« on: August 31, 2006, 08:00:30 PM »

I was down at the dealer this afternoon looking at the wreck and going over the estimate. After that when I was in the show room I started looking at helmets.

The question here is what type do you wear? Since there are so many different types, brands, ect.

I looked at a new style just introduced by the MOCO this fall. It was a nice looking half shell DOT approved with a small orange and whithe stripe along the side with HD written in the stripe. I really like the look but didn't like the fit. I have been wearing a non DOT approved peanut shell for years and have never given it another thought till the accident. The strap on the new helmet was uncomfortable so I am going to keep looking. Everytime I look at the DOT approved helmet that "V" was wearing it just makes me think about it even more.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: WHAT TYPE OF HELMET DO YOU WEAR??
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 08:09:56 PM »

I have been wearing 1/2 helmet by NXT ( kevlar/carbon fiber).Weighs 26 oz, internal "padding about 1/2 size of traditional DOT. Quick release buckle and are DOT approved. Run from $139 to 169 depending on color/graphics. See www.nexlsports.com for full information. Good luck, John
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:10:31 PM by otophile »
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »

I was down at the dealer this afternoon looking at the wreck and going over the estimate. After that when I was in the show room I started looking at helmets.

The question here is what type do you wear? Since there are so many different types, brands, ect.

I looked at a new style just introduced by the MOCO this fall. It was a nice looking half shell DOT approved with a small orange and whithe stripe along the side with HD written in the stripe. I really like the look but didn't like the fit. I have been wearing a non DOT approved peanut shell for years and have never given it another thought till the accident. The strap on the new helmet was uncomfortable so I am going to keep looking. Everytime I look at the DOT approved helmet that "V" was wearing it just makes me think about it even more.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Dawg,

Since you are looking to upgrade, why not go all the way and look at Snell approved lids?  A little extra protection and peace of mind.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:14:50 PM »

Dawg
      I have a H-D Jet I love for when it's cold or raining and I want full protection. It is extremly comfortable and with the shield on it, it works as good as a full face without the confined feeling those give you. There was a thread awhile back in which this got kicked around pretty good. From what I recall, the company that makes the H-D Jet sells it themself under a different name for less money. Maybe someone can recall that thread and send you to it. There was some good feedback on helmets on it. I wear a modifed 1/2 helmet with a visor to shade my face and my S E ballcap turned backwards to shade my neck. I'm good with that until the riding temps get below 55. Then I pull out the Jet.

B B

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 09:32:21 PM »

I have enjoyed my HJC helmet. It has the zip in and out side curtain which has built-in pockets for the headset for the Ultra CB/intercom. Good vent system to keep cool in the summer.
Take a look at this link.http://www.helmetcity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ac2silver&Category_Code=ac2

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 10:19:23 PM »

Dawg, I took interest in previous thread on helmets. I had a skid helmet too. Used the Nolan full face flip up for cold weather. Then I saw this helmet and caught my interest. They advertise to be Worlds smallest DOT helmet! I got DOT with visor in Chrome, which actually matches the silver in the paint on my banana. It is light weight and read the testimonies of those who had been in some crashes and how helmet held up. It has velcro padding that can change sizing for custom fit, or if your like big B and want to wear a ball cap under your helmet just pull out padding. At first look I thought it looked cheesy, but now I really love it! I am very satisfied with this helmet. Downsides, they don't come with vents. I must say, I have been in 100+ temps and wasn't as bad as skid lid. It helps I keep my head bout shaved. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] The other downer is they are a bit pricey. I will get you some pics if you like when I get home tomorrow of mine. Here's the link to Advanced Carbon Composites site. God Bless!

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/dot.htm

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 10:26:59 PM »

Hey Dawg, if you are sticking with a 1/2 lid, check out Superseer, they supply many police depts. I had one fitted to me at Americade, it has a rear strap as specified by many PD's. Fit is rock solid, no head itch, and you can get it in standard HD colors or they will paint it to match your bike if you want. If I know that its gonna rain or its real cold, full face is the way! Comfort and you can see. Schubert Concept is what I use. Split shell with one button sun visor, nice but not HD stylish.... Take care Bro

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 11:41:38 PM »

I'm also lookin for another lid - heck, my garage is startin to look like helmet city as I keep aquiring them somehow. But I am lookin to get another full face. I have an old Aria I like but has ugly graphics and is gettin old. I really like the new Screamin Eagle full face since it matches the O/B SEEG nicely, but haven't tried one on and never had an HJC which is what it is. I realize the HD is marked up a 100$ but the paint job is probably worth that. I just hope it fits good. Not to worried about being the quietest since  this is a full fairing bike. Anyhow if anyones tried one of these on or has one - your .02 cents would be valued before I order one - Thanks.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 11:54:37 PM »

Dawg....I have two of the HD Ultra Jet helmets for me and Suzanne.  Try them on at the dealer for fit and then order through one of the 20% discount HD dealers...got mine from Chicago.  It comes with both the visor and the shield...the shield will stay where you put it, and it's DOT approved. It's made by HJC.  It's a very comfortable helmet and works well with the headsets on the CUSE.

I also have two HD 1/2 Shells, DOT approved, for use on short trips or around town.  They have the zip off ear/neck flap, and are also very comfortable.

For a full face, I have the HJC AC-12 Yikes...it is their lightest model, well vented on top of your head and has a vent in the chin to prevent fogging of the shield.  When it's closed, it seals out all the air, other than the vents, if you want them open.  Very quiet, and very aerodynamic...I wear it on the Vrod and don't feel the need for any kind of windshield because there is no head buffeting.

For all around use when traveling, I don't think you can go wrong with the Ultra Jet from HD...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

freebird

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 08:35:21 AM »

Have never thought about being in an accident. It sems like there is a lot of this going on lately. Lost 2 friends in the last month here at home.

I guess it is time to rethink my helmet.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 10:09:11 AM »

Think long and hard Freebird!  If it were only something in your control, that would be one thing.  

The bad thing is the random insanity that happens all around us.  Nothing to be done except protect yourself....

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 10:32:03 AM »

I normally don't wear a lid when I ride locally.I live in a non helmet law state. But when I travel outside the state or go long distances I wear a full face helmet.I figure if I'm going to wear one protect as much as possible. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

rubaga

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 02:50:07 PM »

Me and my wife are wearing Jet II helmets which are DOT approved and HJC made.

Generally in Russia majority of people wear helmets.  In HD community it is quite custom not to wear helmets however, I was supprised to see that pretty much everyone who was not wearing one turned up for rally in helmets. I generally wear helmet for any ride I go to no matter how short it is.

One thing that concerns me is that HD leathers etc in their majority lack any protections.  What I liked about BMW moto clothes was that they came with some knee, shoulder back and hand protection.  I am still a bit uncomfortable riding without all of those.

CLKKELLEY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 06:43:45 PM »

For those of you who have the 2004 Pumpkin of the 2007 Balck and ORange JESTER, and like a HALF HELMET, I just got a BELL DRIFTER DIABLO (Google it!) as my old helmet (Simpson Shorty) was getting kinda rank and yucky after five years of service!!  Check it out!
PROUD TO BE A NEW MEMBER OF THE CVO FAMILY!!  HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS IS TILL DEAD!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 06:51:39 PM »

For those of you who have the 2004 Pumpkin of the 2007 Balck and ORange JESTER, and like a HALF HELMET, I just got a BELL DRIFTER DIABLO (Google it!) as my old helmet (Simpson Shorty) was getting kinda rank and yucky after five years of service!!
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.