Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat  (Read 14641 times)

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
Full faced helmets in the Southern heat
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »

I've always wore a 3/4 helmet and I'm now considering going to a modular, full faced, helmet for the added protection but it gets pretty darn hot and humid here in the summer. My questions are for those that are riding in the heat with full faced helmets. How uncomfortable do you get? How well do the venting systems work? Would you recommend one model over another? My choices are somewhat limited because I have a fairly big melon (3XL) and quite a few I've looked at only go to 2XL.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

I live in Memphis and I always wear a full-face helmet and have done so for years.  I remember years ago reading an article about the riders at the H-D testing place in AZ (I think) and how they always wear full-face, not so much for safety as they are riding 35 mph or so but because it also protects you from the heat coming off the asphalt.

I would wear shorts when it is hot because it is too uncomfortable when the road gets real hot, same applies here.   

Don't worry about the color of the helmet either because you have 1" of styrofoam insulation between your head and the helmet surface so the little bit of radiant heat does not get through.

Just been my experience.   

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:42 PM »

Joe, I don't know of too many people who have gone from a full-face to something else.  Once you have one, you usually don't want to go back.  I doubt you would notice a tremendous amount of difference from a 3/4, as far as the heat goes.  Vents don't do a lot behind a fairing, though.  With a modular, you can flip it up to get some fresh air if you need to.  No more bugs smacking you in the cheek or glasses, plus more quiet, too.  I've had HJCs, Nolans and Shoeis.  Generally, you get what you pay for with a full-face.  Take your time and try several on.  You will know when you find one that fits right.

Just some ramblings while eating lunch ....

:)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »

X3. When it's hot it's hot and the helmet is not going make much difference imo. I find my HJC modular just great and wear it year round.  Even got my wife converted after many year of resistance for fear it would be claustrophobic and hot in the summer. Neither proved to be the case.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »

Joe, I gots a fathead too and mishapen...

If you have a cycle gear store nearby you can torture them until you are happy...they have a 7 day return policy on helmets...I ended up with an Arai Profile..that I hardly wear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:23:18 PM »

Mrs.R and I wear modular helmets now and was concerned about the heat also, after a few long days in 100+ temps the helmets were no problem as we were wearing soak in water then wear dry cool vests that made the heat bearable. As was said before opening the sheild a little helps also. I didn't think much about those cool vest things until I used one now won't leave home without it. We got so used to soaking them at each gas stop that we had to pull over at the end of the day cause we were freezing after the sun went down. :huepfenlol2:

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »

We live in AZ, so we know heat quite well.  We wear modular full face here all the time.  I believe I am cooker in my full face than in my 1/2 helmet.  I ride with the modular closed and the face shield open 98% of the time.  Only when it is very cold do I close the face shield.  This works for us.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »

Joe, I worried about the same thing, but my Nolan N-104 is surprisingly comfortable in the summer heat.  Try on a few and pick the one that fits you best.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »

I think you will find, as others have said, that the heat is really not an issue...in fact, IMO, it blocks some of the heat coming off the road and blasting you in the face while going down the road at speed.  If you get hot at a red light, just flip it up for a minute or two.

IMO, there are a few things to look for in a modular helmet:

1.) That it fits the shape of your head...this is true for any helmet, but particularly for a Flip/Full Face.
2.) That it is fairly well ventilated
3.) That it has an internal sun shield that is easy to operate with one hand
4.) It has a removable liner so that you can wash it from time to time (wearing a Buff helps...or a do-rag)
5.) That the outer shield has detents so you can adjust the opening to several different positions

Depending on the shape of your head, if I were buying one today, my choices, in no particular order, would consist of:

Nolan N-104
Shoei Neotec
Schuberth C3
HJC (their top of the line model)
Shark Evoline 3

The Shoei Neotec and Nolan N-104 have generally received the best reviews with regards to ventilation.  But that is going to be limited to some extent on a bagger.  But you will get some ventilation from the top vents on the helmet. In addition, those get some good reviews for comfort and the sun shield coming down far enough to not be in your line of sight.  They are also easy to open/close.

If you want to read a lot of reviews on helmets, go to:   http://www.webbikeworld.com/

They review all kinds of gear there, and are generally up to date on the latest and greatest stuff.  They also have a good article on head shapes, shell sizes, getting a proper fit, etc.

A nice source, IMO, for helmets on line is Revzilla.com  They have good prices, do their own video reviews, and have an exchange policy that is excellent.

As others have mentioned, once you go to a flip/full face, it's hard to go back to anything else for a number of reasons.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »

If you have a cycle gear store nearby you can torture them until you are happy...they have a 7 day return policy on helmets...I ended up with an Arai Profile..that I hardly wear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and thanks to Miker on the tip about cycle gear. When I first read your post, I thought there was no way there was a store around here but I used their store locator and found there is one about 25 miles from my home. I'll head over there tomorrow and check them out. Let the shopping / torturing begin!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: I'll let you know what I end up with.

Thanks again,

Joe

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Be a good kid a bring a head rag to wear.... ;)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 07:34:52 AM »

good info here, my skid lid has served its purpose and a modular is in my near future.  :2vrolijk_21:

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17:11 PM »

We have the N90's and very happy sometimes use the little dark shield like a visor on a car, just a little to block the sun when riding into the sun.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:18 PM »

We have the N90's and very happy sometimes use the little dark shield like a visor on a car, just a little to block the sun when riding into the sun.

Terry...that's the way I used to use the sunshade on my Nolan N-102.  I'd bring it down just enough to shade my eyes.

Once your helmets "wear out" try one of the newer styles that have the internal sun visor...it is seriously a nice feature, particularly if you wear glasses and don't want to spend the big dollars on prescription sunglasses and have to keep up with two pair of spectacles.  And those tunnels you go through occasionally are a real bitch if you've got sunglasses on...all of the sudden, you can't see chit!   :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »

Be a good kid a bring a head rag to wear.... ;)

Hadn't thought of that but I'll do it. Thanks!!

Haven't been called a kid in quite a while. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:54:05 PM by JoeVibe »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »

Terry...that's the way I used to use the sunshade on my Nolan N-102.  I'd bring it down just enough to shade my eyes.

Once your helmets "wear out" try one of the newer styles that have the internal sun visor...it is seriously a nice feature, particularly if you wear glasses and don't want to spend the big dollars on prescription sunglasses and have to keep up with two pair of spectacles.  And those tunnels you go through occasionally are a real bitch if you've got sunglasses on...all of the sudden, you can't see chit!   :huepfenlol2:
They have the internal sun visor. Mrs R told me bout that little trick just bringing it down just enough to block the sun.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

I just bought a Shoei Neo-Tech and wore it for the first time last weekend. Tried wearing a half helmet but never felt safe, kept remembering an off road accident I had when I was a kid. Tree root through just below my lower lip knocking three teeth loose and several stitches inside and out. The ventilation on the Neotech was impressive on the top of my head, the lower vent didn't pick up much because of the fairing and windscreen but helped with breath exhaust, actually felt cooler than my half helmet because of the top vents. Big difference in the road sounds, couldn't hear the stereo as well and the exhaust notes seemed to reverberate inside the helmet a bit, quietest modular I have ever worn though, virtually none of the whistling I experienced with a cheaper modular I own. Not sure this is my favorite yet but overall I am pleased with it. I have the thinner cheek pads ordered, the stock pads are too tight on my face. Got mine at cyclegear as well.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »

The reverb was one of my peeves with a full bucket...low freq noise...

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »

I just bought a Shoei Neo-Tech and wore it for the first time last weekend. Tried wearing a half helmet but never felt safe, kept remembering an off road accident I had when I was a kid. Tree root through just below my lower lip knocking three teeth loose and several stitches inside and out. The ventilation on the Neotech was impressive on the top of my head, the lower vent didn't pick up much because of the fairing and windscreen but helped with breath exhaust, actually felt cooler than my half helmet because of the top vents. Big difference in the road sounds, couldn't hear the stereo as well and the exhaust notes seemed to reverberate inside the helmet a bit, quietest modular I have ever worn though, virtually none of the whistling I experienced with a cheaper modular I own. Not sure this is my favorite yet but overall I am pleased with it. I have the thinner cheek pads ordered, the stock pads are too tight on my face. Got mine at cyclegear as well.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Neotec but, unfortunately for me, they don't come in 3XL. I'm going to try a 2XL on but I have my doubts that it'll fit.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Neotec but, unfortunately for me, they don't come in 3XL. I'm going to try a 2XL on but I have my doubts that it'll fit.

Joe, you'll probably be fine with the 2XL.  Shoeis run a little big.  I have a 2XL Mulitech with small cheek pads and it fits great.  Best feeling helmet I've ever had.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »

Keep in mind that different, thinner pads are available if it is just tight on your face or ears. Explore that option before you write it off as a no go unless your hat size is way over an 8.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »

Just looked at Shoei's website. They say the 2XL will fit heads from 24-3/4 to 25-1/8. Janet measured my head three times and came up with 25-1/8 so there is hope. :)

Joe
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:48:11 PM by JoeVibe »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »

Just looked at Shoei's website. They say the 2XL will fit heads from 24-3/4 to 25-1/8. Janet measured my head three times and came up with 25-1/8 so there is hope. :)

Joe

Revzilla lists the Neotec 2XL as fitting up to 25 1/4, so maybe you're in luck!!

A quick look shows that the Nolan N-104 is available in 3XL.  Also, the Schuberth C3 Pro is available in 3XL.  The C3's are PRICEY, but they are EXCELLENT helmets.  Just kind of hard to find sometimes.

Good Luck!!

TTS Mastertune

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

Well, I ran out to Cyclegear this afternoon. The Neotec and Multitec are definitely out.  :( Apparently we didn't measure my head correctly. The 2X was way too tight on my crown and my chin was laying on the front of the helmet when it was down. The salesman recommended a HJC modular but he didn't have it in stock so he offered to order one "no strings attached". I'll check it out when it comes in. In the meantime, my hunt continues. Looks like it's going to rain all weekend so it'll be a good time to go shopping.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »

Measure it...your head that is...the on top of your shoulders that is...with a cloth measuring tape, like the tailors use, then you will have an adeer as to how big the bucket is..mine was 23 1/2 but oblong front to back not a perfect balloon ...keep on looking and lets see is the guys at cycle gear guys wish they had never seen you walk in the store... :huepfenlol2:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 09:04:04 AM »

That's how I measured mine, came up with 25-1/8". I must have a shape issue too because the 2X Neotec was too small and uncomfortable the moment I put it on. I did some web searching last night and I really like the look of the Nolan N-104 that Midnight Rider mentioned and, as he said, it comes in 3X. I'm gonna make some calls this morning to see if I can find one in stock locally that I can try on.

The Cyclegear guy is shipping in a HJC IS-MAX for me to try. It should be in Monday. I like the look and the price is good (about $200). Any comments on this helmet?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »

I dunno, but after meeting you, it appears that you may have a box fer a noggin... :huepfenlol2:

I got so frustrated getting a fit, I cut out a carboard sheet and kept trimming it until it fit around my squash...the outline was frightening... :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:22:51 AM by miker »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »

That's how I measured mine, came up with 25-1/8". I must have a shape issue too because the 2X Neotec was too small and uncomfortable the moment I put it on. I did some web searching last night and I really like the look of the Nolan N-104 that Midnight Rider mentioned and, as he said, it comes in 3X. I'm gonna make some calls this morning to see if I can find one in stock locally that I can try on.

The Cyclegear guy is shipping in a HJC IS-MAX for me to try. It should be in Monday. I like the look and the price is good (about $200). Any comments on this helmet?

Joe, my new Neotec is a 2X and seems on the small side to me, too.  I don't think it's much, if any, larger than my XL Nolan.  But a 2X Nolan was huge on me, so maybe they run big and a 2X or 3X will end up being just what you need.  Good luck!

ultrarider123

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »

Well, I ran out to Cyclegear this afternoon. The Neotec and Multitec are definitely out.  :( Apparently we didn't measure my head correctly. The 2X was way too tight on my crown and my chin was laying on the front of the helmet when it was down. The salesman recommended a HJC modular but he didn't have it in stock so he offered to order one "no strings attached". I'll check it out when it comes in. In the meantime, my hunt continues. Looks like it's going to rain all weekend so it'll be a good time to go shopping.

Gotta have a big noggin to hold all the brains, Joe....... :2vrolijk_21:

X2 on the rain.....AGAIN....FOR THE WEEKEND!!!!!!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »

I hate throwing this out there as most of the comments are on aftermarket/other-than-HD helmets.  I looked back through the threads and don't see any mention of the HD helmet options.  I know they have larger sizes in their selections at most dealerships....may be something to at least try on for comparison.  I know I'm very happy with my HD Hybrid half helmet.  While not a 3/4 or full face, it's VERY comfortable and light weight...my two cents.

Howard

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »

HD are super expensive HJC helemts... ;)

ultrarider123

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

HD are super expensive HJC helemts... ;)

True, but most dealerships at least have larger sizes so Joe may be able to try 'em on at least.... :nixweiss:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »

Joe, my new Neotec is a 2X and seems on the small side to me, too.  I don't think it's much, if any, larger than my XL Nolan.  But a 2X Nolan was huge on me, so maybe they run big and a 2X or 3X will end up being just what you need.  Good luck!

Thanks Brian! I bought my first helmet (this time) the day I got my bike and it lasted 4 days. It was an HD and the styrofoam dug into my head and it had to go. The one I'm wearing now (HJC 3/4) was bought on the road because my head was hurting from the HD. It's OK but really doesn't fit like I would like it to. I'm going to take my time on this purchase and hopefully find one I'll like for the long haul.

I dunno, but after meeting you, it appears that you may have a box fer a noggin... :huepfenlol2:

I got so frustrated getting a fit, I cut out a carboard sheet and kept trimming it until it fit around my squash...the outline was frightening... :huepfenlol2:

I always say "you can't park a bus in a one car garage". Takes a big melon to house all this brain :huepfenlol2:. At least, that's my story! I'm sure you know what I mean!!

I hate throwing this out there as most of the comments are on aftermarket/other-than-HD helmets.  I looked back through the threads and don't see any mention of the HD helmet options.  I know they have larger sizes in their selections at most dealerships....may be something to at least try on for comparison.  I know I'm very happy with my HD Hybrid half helmet.  While not a 3/4 or full face, it's VERY comfortable and light weight...my two cents.

Howard

I tried the HD FXRG and one other HD modular helmet first (my dealer gives me 15% off) but it fit kinda like the Neotec I tried on yesterday. They didn't have anything bigger than a 2X and even they suggested I try shopping somewhere else. I think they remembered what I put them through when I bought my Heritage. I tried on every lid in the store.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »

We went to a Honda store that carried all brands of helmets and had a trying on fest in the store. After a few hours made our decision. After years of no helmets, beanies and half helmets a full face/modular for me was tough to get use to. When we got home I put it on and wore it around the house, even made a few phone calls from my helmet  :huepfenlol2:...yep looked like a dork, but better than going down the road and having a claustrophobia attack. I now love my Nolan helmet  :2vrolijk_21:
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 10:55:39 AM »

What else were you wearing? Hmmmm.... ::) :huepfenjump3:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 12:59:15 PM »

I urge you to read the stuff on webbikeworld about head shapes.  A "normal" head shape is something between round and oval and many helmet manufacturers build their helmets to fit this shape, as that is the majority of people.  But, if you've got a head that's Earth shaped (round when viewed from the top) and try to put it in a "normal" helmet, it is likely to be tight on the sides of the head.  Same is true for a head shape that is a long oval...pressure point will be on the forehead, which can be VERY uncomfortable.  If the pressure point is not really bad, you can take the back side of a spoon and use it to compress the foam a bit to reshape that portion...I'm not saying to do it a LOT, but compressing it 1/16th of an inch here and there can make a HUGE difference in comfort level.  I've even pulled back the liner and taken a piece of emery cloth and slightly sand a bit of foam out of the hot spot area...again, not reshaping or removing enough material to compromise the integrity of the helmet's safety design.  Also, a new helmet is going to fit tight until it adjusts to your head a bit.  You also have to consider whether your head is "tall", how far your jaw bone protrudes, etc.  Most flip face helmets have more room between the chin/mouth than a true full face to allow for the pivoting action, but some are closer to your mouth than others.

The reviews on webbikeworld of each helmet discuss what head shape might fit best in any particular helmet.  I would suggest you read the review on the HJC you are looking at.

Unfortunately, there are not many manufacturers who design helmets for different head shapes...the only one I am aware of is Arai, and they currently do not offer a Flip Face helmet.

Whatever you end up with, I would suggest that you wear it around the house for at least an hour before committing to it 100%...or do so in the store.  You might look dorky, but in the long run you'll be happy you did.  In an hour or so, you'll find out if there are any hot spots.

Since the Shoei is now out of the picture, I'd strongly recommend giving the Nolan N-104 a good look.  If you can't find what you're looking for at the local Cycle Gear shop, or some other bike shop, Revzilla is a good source...it might cost you a few dollars to ship it back and get another size, but they are very good to work with from my experience and they get good reviews on line for their customer service.  They also do some excellent video reviews on gear.

Your Mama didn't drop you on your head as a baby, did she?   ;) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

I spent some time on webbikeworld last night. Lot's of info there. I really like the look of the N104. Hopefully I'll find one around here that'll fit but if not, I'll try Revizilla. I didn't realize you could return helmets.

Not sure if Mom ever dropped me but Dad drank a lot so there's no telling what might have happened.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »

Joe, I highly recommend this vendor:  http://www.sierra-mc.com/default.asp

Bought lots of stuff from them over the years and got both my and momma's HJC modulars (they carry other brands also) from them having them install the J&M headsets.  Mine didn't fit quite right so I sent it back for another.  No problem, no hassle, just the cost of return postage.  They are great to work with from my experience.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »

Thanks Jerry! I'll check them out too.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2013, 10:46:13 AM »

Hey Joe! :drink:

I have watched all the reviews and think they are pretty good from Revzilla. I purchased 3/4 HJC from them for Deb and I. Mine fit fine but Deb needed to go a size up. No problems swapping out. They were very helpful too!

http://www.revzilla.com/modular-motorcycle-helmets

I agree what Terry said. You have to wear it around the house for at least 1 hour or 2. That's the only way you will know if you are going to develop a hot spot like you had with your HD helmet. On my first Nolan modular I developed a hot spot right in the forehead. I removed liner and buffed out ever so slightly a section of the Styrofoam and that fixed the problem. I am looking to upgrade again myself. The one I wear now I got from Terry and it has been great. Just looking for one with an internal shade visor as I am wearing my glasses more often. Good luck buddy!

:bananarock:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »

Good Morning John!

I've been looking at the websites, including Revzilla for about a week now. I'm an info junkie but I've just about OD'ed on helmet info. I've really got my sights set on the Nolan N104 based on what I've read. I'm going to try to find one today that I can try on and if that doesn't pan out or if I can't get the same pricing I'm going to order one on line. Revzilla has the best price I found on line by about $20 so far and I really like what I've heard about them here. I'll let y'all know how this ends up.

Take care.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »

Went to four different stores and tried on a bunch of modular helmets today. The only one that fit decent was a Shuberth C3. It was a little tight at my forehead but I think it could work with a little tweaking. I never did find a Nolan N-104 so I've decided to order one from Revzilla and give it a shot. If the Nolan doesn't fit better than the Shuberth, I'm going to go with the C3.

As a footnote, the salesman suggested I tried a 3XL C3 PRO and it was way too tight! I couldn't believe the difference between it and the regular C3. I couldn't hardly get it on my head! I thought it was a 2XL that was mismarked but I tried two and they were the same. Crazy.

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »

Great Thread!

On a personal note, full face he,mets are much safer as far as neck and chin injuries go. I am living proof that a full face helmet can save your life. 21 years ago Shoei made the difference between a good headache and coma... Just a thought besides the comfort factor. I personally have 4 helmets and choose between styles depending on the trip.
2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »

Well Joe, sounds like you have a Hog Head!!! Get it, Hog....Head!!! Wahahahahahaha I crack myself up! :o :D ;D :huepfenlol2: :drink: :2vrolijk_21: Sorry, I couldn't help myself Joe, Love ya man, God Bless!

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »

Great Thread!

On a personal note, full face he,mets are much safer as far as neck and chin injuries go. I am living proof that a full face helmet can save your life. 21 years ago Shoei made the difference between a good headache and coma... Just a thought besides the comfort factor. I personally have 4 helmets and choose between styles depending on the trip.

At this point, I'll be happy with one that fits.

Well Joe, sounds like you have a Hog Head!!! Get it, Hog....Head!!! Wahahahahahaha I crack myself up! :o :D ;D :huepfenlol2: :drink: :2vrolijk_21: Sorry, I couldn't help myself Joe, Love ya man, God Bless!

If I was sensitive I'd have a real complex by now John. You should see the looks I've got when the 3X's don't come close to fitting. The worst was from Janet!!

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2013, 08:16:14 AM »

At this point, I'll be happy with one that fits.
If I was sensitive I'd have a real complex by now John. You should see the looks I've got when the 3X's don't come close to fitting. The worst was from Janet!!

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: Joe, Janet can have fun with that because you know she loves that "Hoghead"...heck, she married ya! :P :D ;D As for everyone else, this is the way I look at it as a believer in Christ. God created each and everyone of us the way we are. Tall, short, fat, skinny, little heads big heads and so on and so forth. Scripture tells us God is perfect and makes no mistake. So, the next time your trying on a helmet and getting those looks, tell them if they have a problem with it to take it up with God! He made you this way and He is perfect so take it up with Him! It works, I use it all the time, just ask anyone that's been around me for a while! ;) ;D :2vrolijk_21:
Love ya Joe, God Bless!

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »

Thanks John. I actually thought it was really funny. The sales people would bring me a 3X helmet and when it didn't fit they were lost.  :o Didn't know what to do or say. I've always had trouble finding decent headgear so it's no big deal to me. I typically can't even wear the "one size fits all" ball caps. Janet's used to it too, after all we've been together over 40 years. I tried on a HJC IS-MAX and it felt like my ears were sticking out the bottom. I thought Janet was gonna fall on the floor. Like I said in an earlier post, it takes a lot of skull to hold all this brain. To quote Popeye, "I am what I am" and it's all good.

At least I did find the Shuberth C3. Once I try the N104 from Revzilla I'll have a modular, one way or the other.

Joe
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:24:13 AM by JoeVibe »

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:59 AM »

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »

Joe, guess I am a lot like you.  I also have to have a 3XXXL helmet.  The only one that would fit me was the ARAI Profile.  Don't know if they are sill available but it fits great.  Looks like the new model is the Signet-Q.  It is also a long-oval interior shape.  It is available in 3XXXL.  I bought mine at the Helmet Shop in Daytona.  Good luck.
http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=57#/helmets/moto
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:21:31 PM by CVORick »
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »

Thanks Rick. I looked at Arai but I don't believe they make a modular and that's really what I want. I've always wore a 3/4 helmet because I wear glasses and the modular will just be easier to get on and off than a full face. I did find the Shuberth C3 to fit pretty good and now I'm waiting for a Nolan N104 I ordered yesterday to show up so I can try it. According to Revzilla's reviews the N104 is more oval than than the C3 and that's just what I need. If it fits just a little better than the C3 it'll work great. If not, I'm sure I can massage the C3 enough to make it work.

Joe

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »

Well, the Nolan N104 showed up today. I wore it around the house for about an hour and a half (Yes, Janet thinks I'm nuts) and though it is snug I had no uncomfortable or painful spots!  :2vrolijk_21: I feel like (hope) once I break it in it'll be perfect.

There is a problem with the sun shield that I'm going to call about tomorrow. The shield comes down and retracts fine until I open the top vents, then it only retracts about half way. I can't see a rub but I'm sure it's hitting the vent mechanism. I'll see what they have to say about that tomorrow.

I want to thank everybody for the help with my search. As always, your info is invaluable. Hope to see most all of you in Maggie Valley!

Take care,

Joe

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »

Went to four different stores and tried on a bunch of modular helmets today. The only one that fit decent was a Shuberth C3. It was a little tight at my forehead but I think it could work with a little tweaking. I never did find a Nolan N-104 so I've decided to order one from Revzilla and give it a shot. If the Nolan doesn't fit better than the Shuberth, I'm going to go with the C3.

As with most others, I am in the same once you go FF it is hard to go back. I will occasionally wear the half for short rides, but anything more then just hopping around is the FF.

As to your fit, and this is right from the Nolan USA people, they will sometimes "adjust" the interior by rolling the the foam with a billiard ball.
I didn't have a billiard ball with me, but on my Maggie Valley trip last year I did some "adjusting" each night using the hotel' TV remote control.
The Nolan USA person I spoke with is a part owner and told me that is how they adjust all the FF helmets for the road racers.

I found two tight areas (downright painful) areas with my Nolan 104. Right over my eyeglass temples and the outer edges of my ears.

The temple pressure was fairly easy, I just removed the foam from that area of the cheek pad.
The ear pressure took a bit more effort. The pain was near the top of my ear but the area I found that was causing was the bottom edge of the Styrofoam.
Took a week of riding - adjusting to get it pain free.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »

Thanks for the info Duane! The helmet I was sent had a problem with the visor retracting and after talking to Nolan and Revzilla, I sent it back for exchange. I hope to have the replacement by the end of the week. Like I said earlier, I wore the first one for about 1-1/2 hours and didn't find any painful spots. It was a snug fit but it actually felt pretty good. Hopefully the replacement will be the same. But if I need to make adjustments I'll try the pool ball massage method. Thanks again!

Joe

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

Final follow up.

I got the replacement helmet today. It works like it should and is very comfortable, maybe more than the first one was. I'm officially a full face helmet fan now.

I have to say that Revzilla's customer service was first rate!! When I called with the problem on the first helmet they immediately emailed me return paperwork and a prepaid UPS sticker. I shipped the helmet to them last Friday, they recieved it Tuesday and I got the replacement today.

Price was good and service was great!! I will definitely do business with them again. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Joe

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »

Final follow up.

I got the replacement helmet today. It works like it should and is very comfortable, maybe more than the first one was. I'm officially a full face helmet fan now.

I have to say that Revzilla's customer service was first rate!! When I called with the problem on the first helmet they immediately emailed me return paperwork and a prepaid UPS sticker. I shipped the helmet to them last Friday, they recieved it Tuesday and I got the replacement today.

Price was good and service was great!! I will definitely do business with them again. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Joe

Congrats Joe!  Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine, good choice! :2vrolijk_21:
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

ultrarider123

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 08:00:42 AM »

Congrats Joe.  Just visited Revzilla and looks like they have quite a selection of EVERYTHING.  Will bookmark that site for future reference.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »

My Nolan actually got more comfortable after wearing and just putting it on and taking it off a few times. I have to wear sunglasses with skinny arms or they bother the tops of my ears.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »

I haven't done a long ride yet with the Nolan and they're calling for rain all weekend AGAIN but I'm looking forward to spending a whole day out cruising with it. I've always wore glasses and that kept me from going full face. The flip face is perfect. I wear wire frames so the arms are pretty small. So far I've not noticed any problems there.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »

Hey Joe! :drink: Congrats on stepping into the full face helmet crowd! I too think Revzilla is awesome for customer service and think Anthony's reviews are fantastic. I had to exchange my wifes helmet and went as smooth as yours did! Look forward to seeing ya buddy, until then ride safe and God's sweet blessings to you and Janet! :2vrolijk_21:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »

Congrats Joe!  Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine, good choice! :2vrolijk_21:

Congrats Joe.  Just visited Revzilla and looks like they have quite a selection of EVERYTHING.  Will bookmark that site for future reference.

Hey Joe! :drink: Congrats on stepping into the full face helmet crowd! I too think Revzilla is awesome for customer service and think Anthony's reviews are fantastic. I had to exchange my wifes helmet and went as smooth as yours did! Look forward to seeing ya buddy, until then ride safe and God's sweet blessings to you and Janet! :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for your help and support guys, and to everybody that posted advice on this thread. Man, I love this forum!! Now I have to figure out what to do about a headset so I'm heading to the Electronics section. I hope to see everyone in Maggie Valley, or maybe even before. Ride safe!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 21 queries.