Author Topic: Chaps  (Read 5478 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Chaps
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 08:32:12 AM »

I pretty much stopped carrying my chaps a long time ago.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 05:00:56 PM »

ah..no ya didnt i just missed it the first time..more coffee required.....

That's what you get for posting at 0525.  What a gawdawful hour to be up and about.  I'm never up that late  :-/ .

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 02:04:03 PM »

bhg,
Don't bother with the western stores, the chaps they have won't do you any good.  Those are nowhere near durable enough to truly ride with.  If you're only posing, that's one thing, but distance riding will require a good pair of chaps.  Used chaps sometimes show up at the swap meets, but you'll have to look long before you find a decent pair.  Most of them have been torn or down, so they're not worth buying.  You're better off buying a good pair, that with little care will remain a good pair for years.  If you've got access to a good saddle shop, they may have durable enough leather to make a pair from, but then they may not know how to make a pair to be comfortable to ride in.  A better pair will be like a good pair of shoes, it may take some time to get them broken in, but they'll always be great after they are.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

harleydiva

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 02:52:34 PM »

bhg, chaps aren't just for looks or warmth.  If you happen to drop your bike, those chaps will protect you from serious road rash.   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

go to www.foxcreekleather.com     --   the best chaps, jackets, gloves, etc.    

They are custom made to fit.  I'm a size 4, but I wear a size 10 jacket and size Small chaps.

Diva

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 10:11:55 PM »

I'm with Twolane.  I find chaps a little bit useless and bulky to carry around although I do have a thing about them as well.  On a lady that is.  They are not much fun to wear when it is hot and if it gets colds you can wear your rain pants.  The boys get a little cold with the chaps anyway.

Cheers, CVOMOE [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 11:04:12 PM »

I like to ride with chaps on when it's cold out or I'm on a long trip (if temps are under 80 degrees). Great protection if you go down or get hit by road debris flung up by a cage or truck.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 11:09:15 PM »

[highlight]I like to ride with chaps on when it's cold out or I'm on a long trip (if temps are under 80 degrees). Great protection if you go down or get hit by road debris flung up by a cage or truck. [/highlight]
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »

Bought a new pair of chaps for MV. 6,100 miles later one of the zippers had STB. Took em back to the H-D dealer. Oh yeah, we'll warranty those, no problem. Called today ( 5 weeks) z'up with my chaps ?
Well we had to wait 3 weeks for approval from H-D on the warranty, and then a week for the mailing label (prepaid) so you should have them back in another 3 or 4 weeks. Two months for a zipper ? I would think this should shed some light on the issue of replacement paint. Wifey says for $15 the Vietnamese lady who does seamstress work down the street would have put in a new zipper. 5 day wait.

(Yes, I shouted this out in the woods and nobody heard me, but I was still wrong honey)

B B
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:23:54 PM by SPIDERMAN »

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 12:12:09 AM »

Don't buy any!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:30:50 AM by TheVgirl »
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 12:26:22 AM »

Another question...what type of jacket are you planning on wearing to your class?  

Dress in layers so you'll be prepared for whatever our lovely Georgia weather presents!!!  Take some Hot Hands in case it rains or gets cold.  Take extra socks and boots in case it rains.  Let's see, MrsWeCVO, am I forgetting anything?  Candy is the one who gave me my pep talk and gave me all these helpful tips!  She also kept me from giving up the idea of riding when my ex-husband had me halfway convinced that a 1200S was too big for me to handle!  

~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

pumkinownerswife

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 05:56:11 AM »

Diva, Nice pic but this is a how not to ride pic Right!  We see people in florida riding in flip flops and shorts I don't like it.  Put some riding clothes on and take it for a ride.

Helen [smiley=carrot.gif]

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 12:38:06 PM »

Diva, Nice pic but this is a how not to ride pic Right!

TTS Mastertune

harleydiva

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 01:41:56 PM »

Diva, Nice pic but this is a how not to ride pic Right!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 03:45:47 PM »

Another question...what type of jacket are you planning on wearing to your class?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »

BHG...if you can afford it right now, get some kind of rain suit..it doesn't have to have HD written all over it.  Go to an outdoor store and get the best rain gear you can afford.  If it's breathable/waterproof like Gore-Tex (other companys have similar materials), so much the better.  If you get something made out of plastic, you won't be able to tell whether you are wet from rain or from sweating inside the plastic material, even in cold temps.  Anything cotton is absolutely useless to you in cold or wet conditions unless you can keep it totally dry, and if wet will actually suck the heat right out of your body.  Great in summer, but not good in cold.  Fleece or polypropelene garments will not absorb water and will keep you warm, even when they feel wet.  Cotton socks are also useless items, no matter what time of year it is.  Invest in a couple of pair of good wicking ski socks (I like them because they will go over the calf and stay put, not wadding up in your boots), in either a midweight or lightweight. They will last you for years!  Second best choice is a good hiking sock...NO cotton on your feet.  Some boots make a fashion statement, and that is fine, but if you want function over form try to find a good pair of comfortable boots that are also waterproof...these are not easy to find.  One that is comfortable riding and walking, and is waterPROOF without any treatment of oil, etc, is Cruiserworks Boots.  The Lady Defenders are not bad looking, and will be the last boots you buy for riding for years to come.  Gloves are a compromise between warmth, grip, and dexterity, so you can feel the switches, grips, etc.  

If all else fails, dig out some of those wool things you have...that's what I used for years hiking in cold, wet, snow...it will keep you warm, even when wet.  Also anything with thinsulate for warmth.  For a hat to wear when not wearing the helmet, a fleece balcap, or wool felt brim hat, or just good old fashioned wool 'boggins.

TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.